Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forklift help needed again, go pedal erractic

The old Yale k66c forklift I have is acting up, "gas" pedal is real
intermitant. It's a 36 volt battery powered. Took it apart and it
has a 12, 000 ohm pot on a rack and pinion gear setup. OK really I
guess it should be called a sector gear and pinion. The potentiomter
is 12K, has no stops, and has a center tap terminal. It's hooked up
to the center tap and the wiper. so it will read from 0-6000-0 ohms.
Not sure how this is supposed to work. The carbon brush is worn out.
I might try my hand at making a new one tommorrow.

Anyone know where I could get a pot like this?

Anyone know how to put it back in? With "gas" pedal at idle or stop.
should the pot be at min or max resistance?

Remove 333 to reply
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:36:19 -0500, jeff wrote:

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:03:05 -0500, Randy wrote:

The old Yale k66c forklift I have is acting up, "gas" pedal is real
intermitant. It's a 36 volt battery powered. Took it apart and it
has a 12, 000 ohm pot on a rack and pinion gear setup. OK really I
guess it should be called a sector gear and pinion. The potentiomter
is 12K, has no stops, and has a center tap terminal. It's hooked up
to the center tap and the wiper. so it will read from 0-6000-0 ohms.
Not sure how this is supposed to work. The carbon brush is worn out.
I might try my hand at making a new one tommorrow.

Anyone know where I could get a pot like this?

Anyone know how to put it back in? With "gas" pedal at idle or stop.
should the pot be at min or max resistance?

Remove 333 to reply

Not sure about that model but most electric lifts I've ever worked on
used a 5k pot. Pedal up would be at 5k, all the way down 0

I got it working for now, shimmed the old one. found a new pot for 30
bucks and change. Right now i'm not sure where the pot is set at.
Slot in shaft is lined up with center lead so it's at either max or
min value and it works. I put it in that way and had a 50/50 chance
of it working first try. If I had it wrong I would have just turned
it 180 and put it back.

When new pot gets here, I'll look at it some more.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like you'll figure it out. Do you have a "deadman switch" in case the
pot is in max power when you turn it on?

Is pot legalized in your state?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Randy333" wrote in message

I got it working for now, shimmed the old one. found a new pot for 30
bucks and change. Right now i'm not sure where the pot is set at.
Slot in shaft is lined up with center lead so it's at either max or
min value and it works. I put it in that way and had a 50/50 chance
of it working first try. If I had it wrong I would have just turned
it 180 and put it back.

When new pot gets here, I'll look at it some more.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:22:43 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sounds like you'll figure it out. Do you have a "deadman switch" in case the
pot is in max power when you turn it on?

Is pot legalized in your state?

UPS delivered the new pot, must be legal.

Seems to be a 16K pot, not center tapped like the old one. This one
has the 2 outer terminals jumpered together. Came with wires and
ring terminals crimped on.

I got other work in the shop now, should get to it soon.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good luck, hope you can do pot safely.