Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do vibratory feeders work?

I have a bunch of vibratory feeders from some factory that is being
relocated to Mexico.

I tried one, not really knowing how it works. It promptly started
vibrating. Amazingly, some rubber parts that were left in it by the
previous owners, started traveling UPWARDS on the spiral, as the
feeder was vibrating.

I do not really understand this, I would expect that parts would go
down on an inclined vibrating surface, but they go UP. What gives? How
do they work?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13803" wrote in message

I have a bunch of vibratory feeders from some factory that is being
relocated to Mexico.

I tried one, not really knowing how it works. It promptly started
vibrating. Amazingly, some rubber parts that were left in it by the
previous owners, started traveling UPWARDS on the spiral, as the
feeder was vibrating.

I do not really understand this, I would expect that parts would go
down on an inclined vibrating surface, but they go UP. What gives? How
do they work?

The angle of the flexible parts causes the vibration to have direction, up
in the travel direction, down in the opposite direction, like vibrating this
/////// (feeds left) versus vibrating this \\\\\\\\ (feeds right).

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The coeffient of friction is also at work here.
How much depends
on the 'stickiness' of the rubber to the vibrating
surface.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" fired this volley in news:k6jjie
:

The coeffient of friction is also at work here.
How much depends
on the 'stickiness' of the rubber to the vibrating
surface.

That's not really much of an issue. It'll work with "slippery" parts,
too.

It's partly the angle of vibration, and it's partly the vibration cycle,
which is "fast" (fast rise time) in the direction you want parts to slip
on half of the cycle, and of limited rise time (slow) in the direction
you want them to travel on the opposite phase of the cycle.

So the parts are carried a small angle around the tray with the slow
vibration, then a fast-rise return pulls the tray out from under them,
like ripping the tablecloth off a table with all the settings in place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/28/2012 10:04 AM, Ignoramus13803 wrote:
I have a bunch of vibratory feeders from some factory that is being
relocated to Mexico.

I tried one, not really knowing how it works. It promptly started
vibrating. Amazingly, some rubber parts that were left in it by the
previous owners, started traveling UPWARDS on the spiral, as the
feeder was vibrating.

I do not really understand this, I would expect that parts would go
down on an inclined vibrating surface, but they go UP. What gives? How
do they work?

When I first started using Vibratory feeders and was trying to design a
vibrator to collimate cut wire I found GREAT information by Googling
"vibrators". Try that and see what I mean.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:53:12 PM UTC-5, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 10/28/2012 10:04 AM, Ignoramus13803 wrote:

I have a bunch of vibratory feeders from some factory that is being

relocated to Mexico.

I tried one, not really knowing how it works. It promptly started

vibrating. Amazingly, some rubber parts that were left in it by the

previous owners, started traveling UPWARDS on the spiral, as the

feeder was vibrating.

I do not really understand this, I would expect that parts would go

down on an inclined vibrating surface, but they go UP. What gives? How

do they work?

When I first started using Vibratory feeders and was trying to design a

vibrator to collimate cut wire I found GREAT information by Googling

"vibrators". Try that and see what I mean.

That's not even funny.....

Try "vibratory" instead.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-28, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 10/28/2012 10:04 AM, Ignoramus13803 wrote:
I have a bunch of vibratory feeders from some factory that is being
relocated to Mexico.

I tried one, not really knowing how it works. It promptly started
vibrating. Amazingly, some rubber parts that were left in it by the
previous owners, started traveling UPWARDS on the spiral, as the
feeder was vibrating.

I do not really understand this, I would expect that parts would go
down on an inclined vibrating surface, but they go UP. What gives? How
do they work?

When I first started using Vibratory feeders and was trying to design a
vibrator to collimate cut wire I found GREAT information by Googling
"vibrators". Try that and see what I mean.

Were you looking for images, I am guessing?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13803" wrote in message
I have a bunch of vibratory feeders from some factory that is being
relocated to Mexico.

I tried one, not really knowing how it works. It promptly started
vibrating. Amazingly, some rubber parts that were left in it by the
previous owners, started traveling UPWARDS on the spiral, as the
feeder was vibrating.

I do not really understand this, I would expect that parts would go
down on an inclined vibrating surface, but they go UP. What gives? How
do they work?

Look closely at the suspension on the bowl. Note that when the motor
(usually just an electromagnet) pulls the bowl down, the bowl also rotates
either CW or CCW when looking at it from above. In operation when the
bowl drops the friction on the part is minimum. When the bowl rises the
friction is max and the part will move either CW or CCW per the suspension.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13803 wrote:

I have a bunch of vibratory feeders from some factory that is being
relocated to Mexico.

I tried one, not really knowing how it works. It promptly started
vibrating. Amazingly, some rubber parts that were left in it by the
previous owners, started traveling UPWARDS on the spiral, as the
feeder was vibrating.

I do not really understand this, I would expect that parts would go
down on an inclined vibrating surface, but they go UP. What gives? How
do they work?

Pretty simple. The vibration is set up to work in a specific direction,
such as making the track bump down and away from the desired direction
of travel. Each time the track bumps, the part is advanced relative
to the track by its own inertia. So, the whole trick is to make the
vibration a bit asymmetric, so the bump back is more sharp than the
return to normal.

The ones with helical tracks to make the parts climb out of a conical
hopper make a circular bump, it works the same way.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13803" wrote in message
I have a bunch of vibratory feeders from some factory that is being
relocated to Mexico.

I tried one, not really knowing how it works. It promptly started
vibrating. Amazingly, some rubber parts that were left in it by the
previous owners, started traveling UPWARDS on the spiral, as the
feeder was vibrating.

I do not really understand this, I would expect that parts would go
down on an inclined vibrating surface, but they go UP. What gives? How
do they work?

When I was in the market for a vibrator, I found Chicago vibrator products.
After quite a lot of looking, I picked one out for my needs. Vibrators come
in all sizes from tiny to huge, and are for moving all sorts of things.
Some are used just to get things started, as grain from a hopper or rail
car. Vibrations can cause all sorts of quirky behavior on the parts being
vibrated depending on many variables: size, weight, and shape of part;
impact power of vibrator; pulses per minute of the vibrator, shape of chute
or belt, lots of things. I would bet there is a whole science of the
behavior of parts when a vibrator is applied.

I certainly know that to be a fact when simply applied to the opposite sex.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:41:46 -0700, the renowned "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

"Mechanized Assembly: Fundamentals of Parts Feeding, Orientation, and
Mechanized Assembly" by Boothroyd. Available used for $20.

I did the controls for resonant operation of vibratory feeders some
years back. Used by a governmental organization to make things
intended to go 'bang'.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany