Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default temporary rust protection

Are there any favorite oily things I can apply to things like lathe chucks
that will keep them from rusting but not require big deal cleanup when I
want to use them again?

I'm not pleased with rusty fingerprints on stuff that's been set aside for
a while, nor do I want to slather them in awful greases and then have to
clean it off again later before use.

there's some stuff called "beoshield" which is wax dissolved in something
oily + a solvent that sounds exciting on paper, but I'm not sure if traces
of it left on ways for a lathe is good or not, or how it will react with
the other oils that will get splashed on there anyways.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 21:11:12 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Are there any favorite oily things I can apply to things like lathe chucks
that will keep them from rusting but not require big deal cleanup when I
want to use them again?

I'm not pleased with rusty fingerprints on stuff that's been set aside for
a while, nor do I want to slather them in awful greases and then have to
clean it off again later before use.

there's some stuff called "beoshield" which is wax dissolved in something
oily + a solvent that sounds exciting on paper, but I'm not sure if traces
of it left on ways for a lathe is good or not, or how it will react with
the other oils that will get splashed on there anyways.

Have not heard of Boeshield causing any problems compatability-wise.
Product of Boeing Aircraft research.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 5:11*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any favorite oily things I can apply to things like lathe chucks
that will keep them from rusting but not require big deal cleanup when I
want to use them again?

My favorite is liquid floor wax. But I have not idea of how effective
it is. I like it because there is no big mess and I got a gallon at a
garage sale for about 50 cents.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Are there any favorite oily things I can apply to things like lathe chucks
that will keep them from rusting but not require big deal cleanup when I
want to use them again?

I'm not pleased with rusty fingerprints on stuff that's been set aside for
a while, nor do I want to slather them in awful greases and then have to
clean it off again later before use.

there's some stuff called "beoshield" which is wax dissolved in something
oily + a solvent that sounds exciting on paper, but I'm not sure if traces
of it left on ways for a lathe is good or not, or how it will react with
the other oils that will get splashed on there anyways.

Simple light oil should work most of the time unless the conditions are
really damp or nasty.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Boeshield.

Beoshield protects Beosword, "Hrunting".

I like LPS-3 outdoors and Rustlick 631 on machine tools.
http://www.itwfpg.com/rustlick/corrosion/631.html

I have two gift bottles of scented bath oil with flowers in the jar.
To use them up I squirted some on the log splitter to oil the beam. It
spreads out well to wet the entire surface but doesn't prevent
overnight rust.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

LPS-2 works great

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 14:32:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Oct 5, 5:11*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Are there any favorite oily things I can apply to things like lathe chucks
that will keep them from rusting but not require big deal cleanup when I
want to use them again?

My favorite is liquid floor wax. But I have not idea of how effective
it is. I like it because there is no big mess and I got a gallon at a
garage sale for about 50 cents.

Dan

Here in the desert..its about 12% humidity in the summer..but in the
foggy winter..its very very wet.

I generally use automotive paste wax. Like you..I bought a dozen cans
at a yard sale and its been working fine for many years.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Are there any favorite oily things I can apply to things like lathe chucks
that will keep them from rusting but not require big deal cleanup when I
want to use them again?

I'm not pleased with rusty fingerprints on stuff that's been set aside for
a while, nor do I want to slather them in awful greases and then have to
clean it off again later before use.

there's some stuff called "beoshield" which is wax dissolved in something
oily + a solvent that sounds exciting on paper, but I'm not sure if traces
of it left on ways for a lathe is good or not, or how it will react with
the other oils that will get splashed on there anyways.

Living in one of the wettest places on Earth and having done a couple
of trials on rust protection this is what I find:

1) T-9 Boeshield very good but expensive
2) Mobile One 15-50W good if the protection is relatively temporary
3) I did not have very good results with paste wax alone
4) LPS-3 very good but messy and smelly

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote in
:

Are there any favorite oily things I can apply to things like lathe
chucks that will keep them from rusting but not require big deal
cleanup when I want to use them again?

I'm not pleased with rusty fingerprints on stuff that's been set aside
for a while, nor do I want to slather them in awful greases and then
have to clean it off again later before use.

there's some stuff called "beoshield" which is wax dissolved in
something oily + a solvent that sounds exciting on paper, but I'm not
sure if traces of it left on ways for a lathe is good or not, or how
it will react with the other oils that will get splashed on there
anyways.

See if you can find a copy of this article:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Mater....aspx?id=34779

They liked LPS 3 as a long term solution, & didn't think much of
Boeshield. I don't have an online subscription, and my hardcopy is
buried someplace. One of the top choices was CRC 3-26, which McMaster
sells. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

There was another article that touts Camillia Oil, but I don't recall
seeing that one.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
Cydrome Leader wrote in
:

Are there any favorite oily things I can apply to things like lathe
chucks that will keep them from rusting but not require big deal
cleanup when I want to use them again?

See if you can find a copy of this article:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Mater....aspx?id=34779

They liked LPS 3 as a long term solution, & didn't think much of
Boeshield. I don't have an online subscription, and my hardcopy is
buried someplace. One of the top choices was CRC 3-26, which
McMaster
sells. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

There was another article that touts Camillia Oil, but I don't
recall
seeing that one.

Doug White

LPS-3 works well, collects dust and gives you greasy fingers. There
are several similar alternatives to Rustlick 631 which is what WD-40
could have been if they hadn't stopped too soon. It dries harder, dust
doesn't stick, and it feels like a thin film of soap.

The thermoelectric dehumidifier from HD kept the shop humidity below
80% and nothing rusted this summer, despite frequent 98% humidity
outside. My fingerprints don't rust steel anyway, though they darken
brass.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..
Cydrome Leader wrote in
:

[...]

is this lps-3 just the latest version of whatever lps-2 is? there seems to
be a non-spray can version, which what I'd want. I don't care for nasty
mists and everything else getting coated in stuff.

The thermoelectric dehumidifier from HD kept the shop humidity below
80% and nothing rusted this summer, despite frequent 98% humidity
outside. My fingerprints don't rust steel anyway, though they darken
brass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-08, Cydrome Leader wrote:
is this lps-3 just the latest version of whatever lps-2 is? there seems to
be a non-spray can version, which what I'd want. I don't care for nasty
mists and everything else getting coated in stuff.

LPS-2 is oily, for indoors, and LPS-3 is waxy, for outdoors. I kept an
anvil outdoors for years covered with LPS-3, never a speck of rust.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

is this lps-3 just the latest version of whatever lps-2 is? there
seems to
be a non-spray can version, which what I'd want. I don't care for
nasty
mists and everything else getting coated in stuff.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/lps_rust.php
http://www.amazon.com/03128-Heavy-du.../dp/B000P1PHVQ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 18:11:03 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

BIG SNIP

is this lps-3 just the latest version of whatever lps-2 is? there seems to
be a non-spray can version, which what I'd want.

more SNIP

LPS 1& 2 & 3 came on the market about the same time, over 45 years ago
in my recollection. And while they do come in open containers, and
using anything that isn't a spray is good...... there doesn't seem to
be much "overspray" with any of the LPS stuff.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 18:11:03 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

BIG SNIP

is this lps-3 just the latest version of whatever lps-2 is? there seems to
be a non-spray can version, which what I'd want.

more SNIP

LPS 1& 2 & 3 came on the market about the same time, over 45 years ago
in my recollection. And while they do come in open containers, and
using anything that isn't a spray is good...... there doesn't seem to
be much "overspray" with any of the LPS stuff.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

I'll give the #2 stuff a shot then. The canned stuff seems far more
available than the squirt bottle.