Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ok...furnace blower motor questions

My double wide was built in `1983 and it has a Coleman blower in it. A
month or so ago, it started having a difficult time coming up to speed
when it kicked on. I checked everything..and found a start cap. Which I
replaced out of a motor I had kicking around for years. 7.5uf

That started the motor running properly again...but tonight it started
humming and not turning. I try to spin the blower by hand with it in Run
mode..and its being held in place electrically. Turn off the power..and
it spins freely and has little bearing wear as best as I can determine.
Ive lubed it properly and religiously for all this time. No endplay..no
up and down play. I turned it on..and hand started it..and it came up
to speed..but still didnt sound right. Next time..it wouldnt start
again..just quivered.

I admit to being very weak on 3 speed open frame motors. Start relay
seems to be working fine, and when I bypass the relay..it still acts
slow and boggy.

It acts the same in high or low speed. Shrug..its never been in low for
all the years Ive run it...nearly 28 yrs.

Wtf? Did the replacement (it was dented slightly) fail as well? I dont
think Ive got another 7.5 uf cap and knowing the HVAC shop here in
town..he is gonna wanna rape me for another one.

Any ideas?

Help..its getting cold in here....G

Any suggestions for checking the cap, the motor and?

Gunner, who works with 3ph stuff..seldom multispeed single phase stuff

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/30/2011 12:07 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
My double wide ...

'nuff said

Yeah, I'll just bet you have blower questions...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the cap is still bad. It could be that the dent moved the
guts enough to cause it to fail when power was applied.

The unit in my shop is about that vintage Coleman and has a 3 speed on
it as well. The cap failed and the motor acted the same way.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.php
Caps and other parts very reasonable.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

****in dimwit
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 3:07*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

That started the motor running *properly again...but tonight it started
humming and not turning. I try to spin the blower by hand with it in Run
mode..and its *being held in place electrically. Turn off the power..and
it spins freely and has little bearing wear as best as I can determine.
Ive lubed it properly and religiously for all this time. *No endplay..no
up and down play. *I turned it on..and hand started it..and it came up
to speed..but still didnt sound right. Next time..it wouldnt start
again..just quivered.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

It sounds to me as if the bearings have worn and when the power is on
the rotor gets attracted to the case and rubs. Without the power on
it spins freely.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 03:41:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 30, 3:07*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

That started the motor running *properly again...but tonight it started
humming and not turning. I try to spin the blower by hand with it in Run
mode..and its *being held in place electrically. Turn off the power..and
it spins freely and has little bearing wear as best as I can determine.
Ive lubed it properly and religiously for all this time. *No endplay..no
up and down play. *I turned it on..and hand started it..and it came up
to speed..but still didnt sound right. Next time..it wouldnt start
again..just quivered.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

It sounds to me as if the bearings have worn and when the power is on
the rotor gets attracted to the case and rubs. Without the power on
it spins freely.

Dan

When I apply upwards/downwards/ in and out pressure...I cant feel any
movement. And I can detect .0015 play (working as a machine tool tech
for a while helped hone the tactile)
Ive pushed hard in and out..with no friction noticed, as well as up and
down..and when it does run, and turn off at the end of a heating
cycle..it does take 5-15 seconds or longer to stop turning

However that was my first thought..but sometimes it works coming up
slowly..and other times it doesnt. A new motor is about $125
online..and its out of my price range at the moment.

But thanks!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:02:38 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 03:41:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 30, 3:07Â*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

That started the motor running Â*properly again...but tonight it started
humming and not turning. I try to spin the blower by hand with it in Run
mode..and its Â*being held in place electrically. Turn off the power..and
it spins freely and has little bearing wear as best as I can determine.
Ive lubed it properly and religiously for all this time. Â*No endplay..no
up and down play. Â*I turned it on..and hand started it..and it came up
to speed..but still didnt sound right. Next time..it wouldnt start
again..just quivered.

Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Gunner Asch

It sounds to me as if the bearings have worn and when the power is on
the rotor gets attracted to the case and rubs. Without the power on
it spins freely.

Dan

When I apply upwards/downwards/ in and out pressure...I cant feel any
movement. And I can detect .0015 play (working as a machine tool tech
for a while helped hone the tactile)
Ive pushed hard in and out..with no friction noticed, as well as up and
down..and when it does run, and turn off at the end of a heating
cycle..it does take 5-15 seconds or longer to stop turning

However that was my first thought..but sometimes it works coming up
slowly..and other times it doesnt. A new motor is about $125
online..and its out of my price range at the moment.

But thanks!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

If you are afraid to bend over near your HVAC guy, try the motor
repair shop instead. Last one cost me less than $20.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Dec 30, 3:07 am, Gunner Asch wrote:

It sounds to me as if the bearings have worn and when the power is on
the rotor gets attracted to the case and rubs. Without the power on
it spins freely.

Dan

However that was my first thought..but sometimes it works coming up
slowly..and other times it doesnt. A new motor is about $125
online..and its out of my price range at the moment.

But thanks!

Gunner

Did you try pull starting it? We had a fan acting the exact same way at
work, turn on the power and it acted like brakes were applied. We stuck
screwdrivers through the fan guard, got it turning a little, turned on, it
stopped as if we applied brakes. Then I took some electrical wire we had
handy, hooked and end on the fan blade, wound the fan backward a few turns,
like the old engines before recoil starting ropes, gave it a pull, spinning
pretty fast, turned on power and it ran fine... at least until the next time
it was turned off.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:47:18 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

It spinds just fine with no power on it. Free, easy, no grinding, no
dragging. Put power on it..and it locks. I can indeed turn it by hand
with the power on..but its surprisingly stout. No grinding or dragging
noise then either. Electromagnetic lock up.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 8:15*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

It spinds just fine with no power on it. *Free, easy, no grinding, no
dragging. *Put power on it..and it locks. I can indeed turn it by hand
with the power on..but its surprisingly stout. No grinding or dragging
noise then either. Electromagnetic lock up.

Gunner

Well you could try putting a sheet of paper between the rotor and the
stator. See if it turns freely and then apply power and turn the
shaft and see if it tears the paper. Or use some prussian blue. I
am still betting it is worn bearings. But the above will let you
know.

You ought to be able to find a used blower that still works. New
parts are very expensive.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/30/2011 07:15 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

It spinds just fine with no power on it. Free, easy, no grinding, no
dragging. Put power on it..and it locks. I can indeed turn it by hand
with the power on..but its surprisingly stout. No grinding or dragging
noise then either. Electromagnetic lock up.

I wonder if a shorted cap might result in that. Have you tried
disconnecting the cap entirely and then trying to pull-start the
motor?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Power off
Spin motor as fast as possible.
power on.

Once spun, the motor should continue with just the run winding.

What happens? It sounds like there's something wrong in the
starting circuit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In principle, at least for a split-phase motor, this should work.. if one is
capable of understanding what's taking place.

Trouble is, if one refuses to learn what they need to know, no amount of
meter checking, paper shimming, jumpering, oiling, spinning by pull cord or
other trick will result in any worthwhile results.

One can never be too old or feeble to be able to hang onto the stubborness
that keeps them stupid.

Tens of thousands of hours spent finding, copying/pasting and spreading
distorted propaganda is only rational to a mind not based in reality.

My summation was accurate, he's shafted. That's what happens when someone is
deeply engrossed in fanaticism, nothing else is important.

--
WB

"David Lesher" wrote in message

Power off
Spin motor as fast as possible.
power on.

Once spun, the motor should continue with just the run winding.

What happens? It sounds like there's something wrong in the
starting circuit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

My double wide was built in `1983 and it has a Coleman blower in it. A
month or so ago, it started having a difficult time coming up to speed
when it kicked on. I checked everything..and found a start cap. Which I
replaced out of a motor I had kicking around for years. 7.5uf

snip

Gunner, who works with 3ph stuff..seldom multispeed single phase stuff

Sounds like when a 3ph motor is single phasing. The capacitor provides the
phase shift to give direction to the rotating field. Capacitors can get
weak after a while, I worked at a motor repair place for a short time, when
the capacitors checked below their range, we replaced them. 7.5uF sounds
more like a run capacitor to me though. If there are relay contacts that
switch speeds it could be something isn't getting the connection.

I saw some interesting capacitor checkers that check capacitance and ESR,
might be a worthy investment for someone like you that does a lot of
equipment repair. The ESR checkers can find bad capacitors while they are
still on the board, they (some) send a 100khz 0.1V signal and measure the
capacitors Equivalent Series Resistance, I hear this is a common problem
with control boards and such.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:07:39 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

I'd be betting on the cap having failed again. You know what they say
- if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck,
it likely craps like a duck too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Think I'd stick another cap on it.... the value could be a couple mfd
one way or the other and it still should work. 7.5 could be maybe 9.5
or even 5.5. Give it a shot - whaddya got to lose???
Ken Sterling
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ill do just that. Ill see if I can afford one from the local guy.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you can get it spun up and running , just set the fan switch on the
t'stat to "on" and let 'er run . I useta do that to help cover outside noise
at night but have found it also helps even out temps throughout the house -
especially in the summer . 'Bout as expensive as running a couple of ceiling
fans .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Whoose the only one here that repeatedly claims to be an experienced
professional machine repair technician?

Yet, the gumbass can't troubleshoot one of the most simple of machines.. a
motor, which has ONE moving part.

For those of you who don't have access to a Gummer translator/decoder ring,
his post meant he expected some sucker to send him a free capacitor for his
neglected, old furnace blower.

The unit was already old 20 years ago, and the only time it was fixed was
with a used part.. that doesn't even qualify as a repair.
Since then, he hasn't had enough money to buy a new part, which most of the
HSMs here could easily find for about $8 new.

In all the years of owning the old furnace, it never occurred to the
hopeless dimwit to find a replacement motor or a spare capacitor.. just oil
the motor.

The badass highly-trained, experienced Army killer is afraid a local parts
dealer will
overcharge him for a part.

****ing incredible that a legendary icon such as himself doesn't have
countless local friends or contacts who stock parts and would give him a
decent discount because after all, he's the owner of a business which has
helped them numerous times, and supported their livelyhoods with his many
purchases.

When this ****up needs something repaired, he takes the item to folks that
know what they're doing, or turns to his knowledgeable friends in RCM for
sympathy and pity.

Although his worthless company name includes the descriptive term
Engineering, he basically doesn't know his reeking ass from a hole in the
ground.

He can't distinguish what type of motor it is from observation or referring
to the wiring
diagram. He can sit there and wiggle the shaft and spin it around, and
that's the limit of his many years of professional machine technician
experience.

He doesn't need no steenkin furnace.. he's a mastermind survivalist, at
least as long as the citizens of California can afford to keep him alive..
besides, if he can't afford a capacitor, he can't pay a utility bill
either.. but maybe the liberal government will.

Too bad that woman isn't still there to take care of his needs, although I
don't recall Gummer ever having anything nice or appreciative to say about
her.. even after she took care of him after his heart problems.
His words were often more like worthless bitch or nothing but a burden on
his lifestyle.
It seems as though his son has abandoned him too, or maybe he's just a chip
off the old block.

Who IS that BAD MF?

That's Shafted.. and without a clue.

Happy New Year All

--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Nice post--you've fingered him to a tee.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Sorry, I have been away for a day. We have a triple-wide, same age,
Coleman heat pump/ac.

I started to write a long dissertation on my similar problem, but to
make a long story short, The AC cap shorted and burned a winding on
motor. Replacement from Ebay had AC cap that worked, but low in value.
Correct new AC cap fixed all.

You are lucky not to have a shorted cap. Just replace it.

Had the unit serviced by heating co. and they check and replace the AC
cap regularly on service calls.

That is your problem.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 05:57:42 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

[...]

Replace the cap or the motor or both?

Thanks!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Unless you see smoke, your motor is fine. The cap is in series with one
winding of the motor to cause a phase shift, generating torque for the
motor. When either the cap or the winding is gone, the motor won't turn
under power.

Just replace the cap and you should be fine.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I measured the cap, after shorting it, it measured 9.25 ohm..and then
starting changing a bit. Which I assume means its charging

It starts up fine and runs for several moments..and then starts to slow
down..and down..and down..and then sits there and quivers

Im assuming the cap is leaking ?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I measured the cap, after shorting it, it measured 9.25 ohm..and then
starting changing a bit. Which I assume means its charging

It starts up fine and runs for several moments..and then starts to slow
down..and down..and down..and then sits there and quivers

Im assuming the cap is leaking ?

It's defective. A cap that small should rise to 'infinity' very
fast. 9.25 ohms sounds like it's shorted, but not all the way to zero
ohms.