Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 08:56:40 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2011-12-28, Jim Yanik wrote:

[ ... ]

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I
hope they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck
with their hand tools.

[ ... ]

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their
manufacturer has changed over the years,I can remember when they came
from JH Williams. that's why their quality has changed.

Back in the early 1970s, the micrometers came from
Scherr-Tumico, and the runout indicator was a Starrett "Last Word"
(probably the worst instrument from Starrett at that time.) Not
really sure who made their combination squares, but they were pretty
good. Lathes at that time were from Atlas, both the 6" and the 12".

No idea who made the ratchet wrenches and sockets, but they were
pretty good back then.

Enjoy,
DoN.

My dad was referring to the Craftsman wrenches,sockets and ratchets being
made by JH Williams.(back in the late 60's)

screwdrivers and other tools,who knows?

I don't know how late Williams made tools for Sears, but my Sears sets
(1964) supposedly were. I have several Williams sets, up to 3/4"
drive, and they don't look much like my Sears sets. But my Williams
are all from the mid-'50s.

At least some of Sears hand tools were made by Plumb. I notice that
the Wikipedia listing doesn't list either company. But my dad was a
Sears employee from 1933 -- 1962, and a store manager from 1953 on,
and I used to know the sources for many of their products.

Busch, for example, made many of their cameras. Puch made their better
lightweight bicycles, and so on.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 10:22 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

At least some of Sears hand tools were made by Plumb.

That may have been Pl_o_mb. You may find this thread of interest:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=84807

Someday I will go through my toolboxes and write down all the now
defunct manufacturers.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:49:07 -0500, axolotl
wrote:

On 12/29/2011 10:22 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

At least some of Sears hand tools were made by Plumb.

That may have been Pl_o_mb. You may find this thread of interest:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=84807

Yeah, there's interesting stuff in there, all right.

As for Plumb vs. Plomb, the latter also may have made tools for Sears.
I don't know.

But I know that Plumb did. I used to visit and report on Plumb's
forging operations, and it was a subject that came up there in
discussions.