Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting quiz on various science knowlege

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 03:38:06 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...h-s-atmosphere

39 out of 50 correct.

Gunner

The web page is too slow to update since you have to answer a question
a page, instead of multiple questions on the same page. I got 9 out
of 10 - missed the dinosaur one. Not interesting enough to spend the
time to wait for pages with ads to load.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...h-s-atmosphere

39 out of 50 correct.

Gunner

The web page is too slow to update since you have to answer a question
a page, instead of multiple questions on the same page. I got 9 out
of 10 - missed the dinosaur one. Not interesting enough to spend the
time to wait for pages with ads to load.

It was worse than that. There were fifty questions, but it took *two*
clicks to move on to the next page: one to submit your answer, then
another to move to the next page after the server scored your answer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/11/2011 07:47 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 12/11/2011 7:33 PM, GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 03:38:06 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...ally-literate-
Take-our-quiz/Composing-about-78-percent-of-the-air-at-sea-level-what-is-the-most-common-gas-in-the-Earth-s-atmosphere

39 out of 50 correct.

Gunner

The web page is too slow to update since you have to answer a question
a page, instead of multiple questions on the same page. I got 9 out
of 10 - missed the dinosaur one. Not interesting enough to spend the
time to wait for pages with ads to load.

It was worse than that. There were fifty questions, but it took *two*
clicks to move on to the next page: one to submit your answer, then
another to move to the next page after the server scored your answer.

On dial-up, it got worse than that. After seeing the correct answer
displayed, I couldn't bear the interminable wait for my score to get
updated up top. Whenever I just clicked *next* and moved on, I was
awarded _WRONG_ANSWER_ for doing so.

.... Gummer's score is pretty ****ty.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not that mine was a whole lot better, but as I said, I don't consider
myself all that strong in science. gummer was bragging about his score
(39); I'm actually a little embarrassed about mine (41).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Early citizens of low-scorer Gummer's desert home, Taft, wanted the
railroad to name their town Boron. Instead, railroad officials named it
Moron.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't think that's right. According to the Wikipedia entry for the
********, the residents wanted to name it Moro, but the railroad
officials thought that too close to the town of Morro Bay (near San Luis
Obispo), so they called it Moron instead. It's worth noting that this
occurred before the word had an association with mental retardation.

The place really is mostly a dump. I drove some 20-25 miles out of my
way just to see if it was as ****ty looking as it appeared to be from
pictures. For the most part, it was worse. There was kind of a classic
main street that looked kind of cool, in a "Last Picture Show" kind of
way, but it really wouldn't be worth driving out of your way to see. I
think some of the towns up in the gold country - Jackson, Sutter Creek,
etc. - are. Taft ain't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...h-s-atmosphere

39 out of 50 correct.

Gunner

The web page is too slow to update since you have to answer a question
a page, instead of multiple questions on the same page. I got 9 out
of 10 - missed the dinosaur one. Not interesting enough to spend the
time to wait for pages with ads to load.

I got 40 out of 50.

Yes -- it takes forever -- in part because it is going off to
dozens of web sites, including doubleclick every time you update the
page, and you have to do it twice -- once to submit your answer, and
once to get the next question. And about eighteen cookies as well.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564