Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking Work of Art

You can buy this for around 30 grand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KeepTheT.../8/tKbsJFfR4Ws

But damn.....look at it. It's a craftsmanship masterpiece. Jeweled
bearings......beautiful gears.....fabulous engraving.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KeepTheTime

Here's the home channel so you can get your fix of watch lust
fulfilled. Some real specimens on there. Bookmark it so you can check
the latest updates.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/26/2011 7:35 PM, lid wrote:

You can buy this for around 30 grand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KeepTheT.../8/tKbsJFfR4Ws

But damn.....look at it. It's a craftsmanship masterpiece. Jeweled
bearings......beautiful gears.....fabulous engraving.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KeepTheTime

Here's the home channel so you can get your fix of watch lust
fulfilled. Some real specimens on there. Bookmark it so you can check
the latest updates.
Dave

Vintage ornate watches always impress me, knowing a bit about how they
had to be made--but the first thing I think of when looking at a modern
one is "how much of it was done CNC?"

Somehow the thought of a computer grinding away for a few days to make
most of the parts just isn't as impressive as knowing someone spent X
months or years doing it all by hand.

I know that some are still made by hand, but I'd guess most are (mostly)
not.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 03:30:41 -0500, DougC
wrote:

Vintage ornate watches always impress me, knowing a bit about how they
had to be made--but the first thing I think of when looking at a modern
one is "how much of it was done CNC?"

Somehow the thought of a computer grinding away for a few days to make
most of the parts just isn't as impressive as knowing someone spent X
months or years doing it all by hand.

I know that some are still made by hand, but I'd guess most are (mostly)
not.

I guess, CNC or not, I am still impressed. Those are some very finely
machined components. The machines to make this kind of stuff have to
be impressive all by themselves.
Dave