Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default the Midas touch

Rainy day, so i thought I'd make a pump bracket...

Turned on the manual mill, the Y axis readout quit, can't see why.

So, I turned on the CNC mill. The -X limit switch was stuck on. A bit
of investigation found the cause and it was going in about 45 minutes.

Then the home routine wouldn't work. Couldn't figure out why. After
1/2 hour of farting around I manually homed it.

Then I turned on the bandsaw and it blew a breaker after about one
minute run. Reset and repeat. 1/2 hour of investigation found an
intermitent short in the coolant pump. Got part cut without coolant.

Anyway for five hours work I've got twelve holes drilled, and still
have a few days repair just to get back where i was when i woke up.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/26/2011 2:30 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
Rainy day, so i thought I'd make a pump bracket...

Turned on the manual mill, the Y axis readout quit, can't see why.

So, I turned on the CNC mill. The -X limit switch was stuck on. A bit
of investigation found the cause and it was going in about 45 minutes.

Then the home routine wouldn't work. Couldn't figure out why. After
1/2 hour of farting around I manually homed it.

Then I turned on the bandsaw and it blew a breaker after about one
minute run. Reset and repeat. 1/2 hour of investigation found an
intermitent short in the coolant pump. Got part cut without coolant.

Anyway for five hours work I've got twelve holes drilled, and still
have a few days repair just to get back where i was when i woke up.

Karl

Happy Monday squared..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
Rainy day, so i thought I'd make a pump bracket...

Turned on the manual mill, the Y axis readout quit, can't see why.

So, I turned on the CNC mill. The -X limit switch was stuck on. A bit
of investigation found the cause and it was going in about 45 minutes.

Then the home routine wouldn't work. Couldn't figure out why. After
1/2 hour of farting around I manually homed it.

Then I turned on the bandsaw and it blew a breaker after about one
minute run. Reset and repeat. 1/2 hour of investigation found an
intermitent short in the coolant pump. Got part cut without coolant.

Anyway for five hours work I've got twelve holes drilled, and still
have a few days repair just to get back where i was when i woke up.

Karl

I have days like that too. Bummer.
I've always thought that was the Inverse Midas Touch - everything
you touch turns to ****.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Rainy day, so i thought I'd make a pump bracket...

Momma said there'd be days like this.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:30:57 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Rainy day, so i thought I'd make a pump bracket...

Turned on the manual mill, the Y axis readout quit, can't see why.

So, I turned on the CNC mill. The -X limit switch was stuck on. A bit
of investigation found the cause and it was going in about 45 minutes.

Then the home routine wouldn't work. Couldn't figure out why. After
1/2 hour of farting around I manually homed it.

Then I turned on the bandsaw and it blew a breaker after about one
minute run. Reset and repeat. 1/2 hour of investigation found an
intermitent short in the coolant pump. Got part cut without coolant.

Anyway for five hours work I've got twelve holes drilled, and still
have a few days repair just to get back where i was when i woke up.

I just finished digging out my other apple tree this morning. Those
things do NOT like to come out of the ground, do they?

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Rainy day, so i thought I'd make a pump bracket...

Turned on the manual mill, the Y axis readout quit, can't see why.

So, I turned on the CNC mill. The -X limit switch was stuck on. A bit
of investigation found the cause and it was going in about 45 minutes.

Then the home routine wouldn't work. Couldn't figure out why. After
1/2 hour of farting around I manually homed it.

Then I turned on the bandsaw and it blew a breaker after about one
minute run. Reset and repeat. 1/2 hour of investigation found an
intermitent short in the coolant pump. Got part cut without coolant.

Anyway for five hours work I've got twelve holes drilled, and still
have a few days repair just to get back where i was when i woke up.

I just finished digging out my other apple tree this morning. Those
things do NOT like to come out of the ground, do they?

I used to have that problem. Till I got the big backhoe last spring. I
used it yesterday to transplant twenty full size trees. When I took
the unit out for the first time this year, my better half did remind
me it probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave it all tore apart in
front of the house like I did last year.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Pfffffffffffffffffft! No fair. But I got to take an axe to things,
and I cut the bigger ones with the bow saw. It was too dirty and rocky
for the chainsaw. This one only took a couple hours before I used the
teensy HF winch to pull it over, breaking the last of the root system.
I'm glad I did that project. Total cost was about $80. I've used it
to tension 3 field fences and pull 2 trees so far, but I have a row of
hedges to take out next, so I'll build the rocker for those beasties.
I have some 2" 5/16 angle but I'll need a wheel. Hmm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuXlLgRcwps This style, but possibly
better built.

used it yesterday to transplant twenty full size trees. When I took
the unit out for the first time this year, my better half did remind
me it probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave it all tore apart in
front of the house like I did last year.

I imagine not. g

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.
-- Thomas H. Huxley
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote in
:

wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:30:57 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

SNIP
I used to have that problem. Till I got the big backhoe last spring. I
used it yesterday to transplant twenty full size trees. When I took
the unit out for the first time this year, my better half did remind
me it probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave it all tore apart in
front of the house like I did last year.

Women just do not have the proper sensibilities for good yard art. ;-)

Von
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I have some 2" 5/16 angle but I'll need a wheel. Hmm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuXlLgRcwps This style, but possibly
better built.

This is *way* more 'my style':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFR-S3FUKk

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:15:20 -0700, "Artemus" wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I had one of those Sunday...sigh..didnt get anything done but fixing
stuff I needed to get stuff done.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Rainy day, so i thought I'd make a pump bracket...

Turned on the manual mill, the Y axis readout quit, can't see why.

So, I turned on the CNC mill. The -X limit switch was stuck on. A bit
of investigation found the cause and it was going in about 45 minutes.

Then the home routine wouldn't work. Couldn't figure out why. After
1/2 hour of farting around I manually homed it.

Then I turned on the bandsaw and it blew a breaker after about one
minute run. Reset and repeat. 1/2 hour of investigation found an
intermitent short in the coolant pump. Got part cut without coolant.

Anyway for five hours work I've got twelve holes drilled, and still
have a few days repair just to get back where i was when i woke up.

Karl

Someone please remind me never to invite you to use my shop. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Artemus" wrote in message

[...]

There's even an official psychological term for this
when the operator is blamed--"error burst."
That one needed no theoretical underwriting
for proof.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:05:10 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I have some 2" 5/16 angle but I'll need a wheel. Hmm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuXlLgRcwps This style, but possibly
better built.

This is *way* more 'my style':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFR-S3FUKk

Lazy bastid.
--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:05:10 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

This is *way* more 'my style':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFR-S3FUKk

Lazy bastid.

Heh! Yup.

The irony is that most of the time, there is no 'post' to pull
because it is rotted completely off, at or below grade.

That is when Mr. Rotary Hammer and Mr. Slate Bar come out
to play.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:
Winston wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
Rainy day, so i thought I'd make a pump bracket...

Momma said there'd be days like this.

--Winston

Momma was right too.
Aren't they always?

Yup. Gotta admit that.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:16:11 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:05:10 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

This is *way* more 'my style':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFR-S3FUKk

Lazy bastid.

Heh! Yup.

The irony is that most of the time, there is no 'post' to pull
because it is rotted completely off, at or below grade.

Perzactly. grimace

That is when Mr. Rotary Hammer and Mr. Slate Bar come out
to play.

Indeed, but only after Mr. Shovel has made a nice big hole for them to
play in.

I had Mr. Axe, Misters Shovel/Trencher/Transplant Spade, Mr. Digging
Bar, Mr. Digging Fork, Mr. Chain, and Mr. Winch out this morning for a
romp with an apple tree. This smaller 11" diameter tree was much
easier than the 18-incher I did last week. That one took several days
worth of all my energy.

And I'm trying to find someone who won't gouge the crap out of me to
take the maple, sweetgum, birch (3' from he house), doug fir, and
redwood (10' from the house and starting to lift the patio) trees
down. I've planted a nice Oregon native willow in the front yard
which won't get over 15' tall when mature. and I may replace one of
the apples with a DWARF.

Yes, the little camo winch from HF (95912) really does work, and the
wireless remote is absolutely handy. $99 on sale for $49 that week and
I had a 20% off coupon for a final price of $40. http://goo.gl/g4iwZ
They call it 3,000#, but I think it may be closer to a ton. It's a
helluva lot handier than my 4T comealong. I have under $100 in it
with an inline 140A circuit breaker, the cable, and the Tow-truck
style quick disconnect (if I don't count the time. and my buddy gave
me the stainless plate I fabbed onto the length of square receiver
tubing to make it into a removable truck part.)

--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh MAN, you guys are gluttons for punishment. If you haven't got Mr.
Big Hoe at your disposal, go the chemical route. A heavy shot of
potassium nitrate in holes drilled in the stump will rot it out in six
weeks. Then fill the holes with diesel fuel, put your BBQ lid over it
with a pile of charcoal and burn the stump out.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:05:10 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

This is *way* more 'my style':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFR-S3FUKk

Lazy bastid.

Heh! Yup.

The irony is that most of the time, there is no 'post' to pull
because it is rotted completely off, at or below grade.

Perzactly.grimace

That is when Mr. Rotary Hammer and Mr. Slate Bar come out
to play.

Indeed, but only after Mr. Shovel has made a nice big hole for them to
play in.

Easy with Mr. Post Hole Digger

I had Mr. Axe, Misters Shovel/Trencher/Transplant Spade, Mr. Digging
Bar, Mr. Digging Fork, Mr. Chain, and Mr. Winch out this morning for a
romp with an apple tree. This smaller 11" diameter tree was much
easier than the 18-incher I did last week. That one took several days
worth of all my energy.

And I'm trying to find someone who won't gouge the crap out of me to
take the maple, sweetgum, birch (3' from he house), doug fir, and
redwood (10' from the house and starting to lift the patio) trees
down.

Calling Mr. Chainsaw!

Yes, the little camo winch from HF (95912) really does work, and the
wireless remote is absolutely handy. $99 on sale for $49 that week and
I had a 20% off coupon for a final price of $40. http://goo.gl/g4iwZ
They call it 3,000#, but I think it may be closer to a ton. It's a
helluva lot handier than my 4T comealong. I have under $100 in it
with an inline 140A circuit breaker, the cable, and the Tow-truck
style quick disconnect (if I don't count the time. and my buddy gave
me the stainless plate I fabbed onto the length of square receiver
tubing to make it into a removable truck part.)

Cool!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Oh MAN, you guys are gluttons for punishment. If you haven't got Mr.
Big Hoe at your disposal, go the chemical route. A heavy shot of
potassium nitrate in holes drilled in the stump will rot it out in six
weeks. Then fill the holes with diesel fuel, put your BBQ lid over it
with a pile of charcoal and burn the stump out.

I've got 4 stumps that could use that treatment....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=potassium+nitrate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11075455533020201748&sa=X&ei=rZW3TdGKHpDCsAO 63f2oAQ&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAQ#

How many pounds per stump, Karl?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:06:17 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Oh MAN, you guys are gluttons for punishment. If you haven't got Mr.
Big Hoe at your disposal, go the chemical route. A heavy shot of
potassium nitrate in holes drilled in the stump will rot it out in six
weeks. Then fill the holes with diesel fuel, put your BBQ lid over it
with a pile of charcoal and burn the stump out.

I've got 4 stumps that could use that treatment....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=potassium+nitrate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11075455533020201748&sa=X&ei=rZW3TdGKHpDCsAO 63f2oAQ&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAQ#

How many pounds per stump, Karl?

--Winston

I'd shop around a bit for a better price. I buy it as fertilizer from
Johnson Greenhouse Supply in the Twin Cities by the fifty pound bag.
When I had stumps to rot, I drilled a bunch of 2" holes and filled
them all over the top.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I just looked it up $60 for 50 lb.
http://www.jrjohnson.com/home.php?ca...ion=0&pag e=2
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I've done it once, it's fun. I only used a 3/4" ship auger. The
holes should be almost through the stump. I only used a pound or two,
but the stump was only a little over 1 ft. dia. Water it in, cover
witth a plastic bag, let it sit. The stump needs to be dead.

The nitrate leaches into the wood and acts as an oxidizer when you
burn it. Mine burned for 1 week. When smoke finally quit curling out
of the ground, there were just ash filled tunnels where the roots had
been.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.google.com/products/catal...nitrate&um=1&i
e=UTF-8&cid=11075455533020201748&sa=X&ei=rZW3TdGKHpDCsAO 63f2oAQ&ved=0CD
EQ8wIwAQ#

Good Lord! Humco is the drugstore variety (of old), and has always been
pricey.

A 50lb bag from the local growers' co-op costs $63. (was $19 up 'til about
five years ago, then took a giant leap).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:35:31 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Oh MAN, you guys are gluttons for punishment. If you haven't got Mr.

Y'think? sigh

Big Hoe at your disposal, go the chemical route. A heavy shot of
potassium nitrate in holes drilled in the stump will rot it out in six
weeks. Then fill the holes with diesel fuel, put your BBQ lid over it
with a pile of charcoal and burn the stump out.

I keep hearing horror stories about underground root systems burning
down houses, barns, and other outbuildings, trees, forests...
Me no burn roots.

I'd zimply -love- a backhoe but can't spare a year's wages for one.

--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That is when Mr. Rotary Hammer and Mr. Slate Bar come out
to play.

Indeed, but only after Mr. Shovel has made a nice big hole for them to
play in.

Easy with Mr. Post Hole Digger

I prefer the dainty Mr. Transplant Spade for this task since my
rotator cuffs ain't what they used to be. http://goo.gl/cFLH5
PG207, a hard-workin', stainless tool.

I had Mr. Axe, Misters Shovel/Trencher/Transplant Spade, Mr. Digging
Bar, Mr. Digging Fork, Mr. Chain, and Mr. Winch out this morning for a
romp with an apple tree. This smaller 11" diameter tree was much
easier than the 18-incher I did last week. That one took several days
worth of all my energy.

And I'm trying to find someone who won't gouge the crap out of me to
take the maple, sweetgum, birch (3' from he house), doug fir, and
redwood (10' from the house and starting to lift the patio) trees
down.

Calling Mr. Chainsaw!

I want someone to bring Mr. Climber, Mr. Rope, and Mr. Chainsaw and
their friends, Mr. Chipper, Mr. Loader, and Mr. Insured Feller for
this game. I want him to pay me for the privilege if possible, but
lumber prices are dirt low and nobody local mills redwood, so it's
nearly unsalable. Go figure.

Yes, the little camo winch from HF (95912) really does work, and the
wireless remote is absolutely handy. $99 on sale for $49 that week and
I had a 20% off coupon for a final price of $40. http://goo.gl/g4iwZ
They call it 3,000#, but I think it may be closer to a ton. It's a
helluva lot handier than my 4T comealong. I have under $100 in it
with an inline 140A circuit breaker, the cable, and the Tow-truck
style quick disconnect (if I don't count the time. and my buddy gave
me the stainless plate I fabbed onto the length of square receiver
tubing to make it into a removable truck part.)

Cool!

I thought so. It won't do nearly the work of a 9500# Warn ($1k), but
it outperforms me tenfold, at minimum. It was a fun project.

--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Oh MAN, you guys are gluttons for punishment. If you haven't got Mr.
Big Hoe at your disposal, go the chemical route. A heavy shot of
potassium nitrate in holes drilled in the stump will rot it out in six
weeks. Then fill the holes with diesel fuel, put your BBQ lid over it
with a pile of charcoal and burn the stump out.

I've got 4 stumps that could use that treatment....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=potassium+nitrate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11075455533020201748&sa=X&ei=rZW3TdGKHpDCsAO 63f2oAQ&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAQ#

How many pounds per stump, Karl?

That's a ridiculous price, Winnie. Try http://goo.gl/Zo58B premix.

I love the Com-Pleet (glyphosate) from Green Light. It's less than 1/4
the cost of Roundup. A quart of 41% is $15 to a quart of 18% Roundup
for $22. The only downside is that Roundup can work at a slightly
lower application temperature. (A guy who runs a local Ace Hardware
clued me into that. He hears all the testimony from farmers.) Anyway,
I trust the brand. T'won't take a stump out, tho.

Saltpeter also goes for less if it's not being sold as a hoodoo charm
chemical: http://goo.gl/DOnmn or http://goo.gl/myApB at a fifth the
price.

StumpNot says 16 oz for a 12" trunk. I've never used the stuff.

--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 06:41:08 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...nitrate&um=1&i
e=UTF-8&cid=11075455533020201748&sa=X&ei=rZW3TdGKHpDCsAO 63f2oAQ&ved=0CD
EQ8wIwAQ#

Good Lord! Humco is the drugstore variety (of old), and has always been
pricey.

A 50lb bag from the local growers' co-op costs $63. (was $19 up 'til about
five years ago, then took a giant leap).

About the time everyone decided they could profit from 9/11, huh?
sigh

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:03:26 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

Easy with Mr. Post Hole Digger

I prefer the dainty Mr. Transplant Spade for this task since my
rotator cuffs ain't what they used to be. http://goo.gl/cFLH5
PG207, a hard-workin', stainless tool.

Thought provoking, that.

(...)

I want him to pay me for the privilege if possible, but
lumber prices are dirt low and nobody local mills redwood, so it's
nearly unsalable. Go figure.

Something is Rotten in Denmark, then.

My local wood monger wants (are you sitting down?) $5.50 *a foot*
for 1 x 6 clear heart redwood fence boards. $27.50 a board!

I went to my local big box store and picked up a bunch of construction
grade for ~4.00 per board. Extortionate but not as bad as the pros.

Time to weld up a sawmill, Larry!
http://provillage.files.wordpress.co...ng?w=420&h=304

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Oh MAN, you guys are gluttons for punishment. If you haven't got Mr.
Big Hoe at your disposal, go the chemical route. A heavy shot of
potassium nitrate in holes drilled in the stump will rot it out in six
weeks. Then fill the holes with diesel fuel, put your BBQ lid over it
with a pile of charcoal and burn the stump out.

I've got 4 stumps that could use that treatment....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=potassium+nitrate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11075455533020201748&sa=X&ei=rZW3TdGKHpDCsAO 63f2oAQ&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAQ#

How many pounds per stump, Karl?

That's a ridiculous price, Winnie. Try http://goo.gl/Zo58B premix.

Yup. I was just marveling that the stuff was available at all.
As you see, Karl cited a couple prices that are much more in keeping
with my frugal nature.

I love the Com-Pleet (glyphosate) from Green Light. It's less than 1/4
the cost of Roundup. A quart of 41% is $15 to a quart of 18% Roundup
for $22. The only downside is that Roundup can work at a slightly
lower application temperature. (A guy who runs a local Ace Hardware
clued me into that. He hears all the testimony from farmers.) Anyway,
I trust the brand. T'won't take a stump out, tho.

Printed. Thank you sir.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:03:26 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

Easy with Mr. Post Hole Digger

I prefer the dainty Mr. Transplant Spade for this task since my
rotator cuffs ain't what they used to be. http://goo.gl/cFLH5
PG207, a hard-workin', stainless tool.

Thought provoking, that.

(...)

I want him to pay me for the privilege if possible, but
lumber prices are dirt low and nobody local mills redwood, so it's
nearly unsalable. Go figure.

Something is Rotten in Denmark, then.

My local wood monger wants (are you sitting down?) $5.50 *a foot*
for 1 x 6 clear heart redwood fence boards. $27.50 a board!

Wow, that really puts a new price on the redwood sandbox I made 20 years
ago. It wasn't all clear, but it was 7' square, with diagonally planked
seats all around the outside and two full-length toy boxes, 22" high. I
started with 300 board feet of redwood my dad had bought 20 years before
*that* to make a pair of bocci courts, but they moved before he could build
them.

I also have a stash of 70-year-old Honduras mahogany....(heh, heh...)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Wow, that really puts a new price on the redwood sandbox I made 20 years
ago. It wasn't all clear, but it was 7' square, with diagonally planked
seats all around the outside and two full-length toy boxes, 22" high. I
started with 300 board feet of redwood my dad had bought 20 years before
*that* to make a pair of bocci courts, but they moved before he could build
them.

You're gonna need a webcam to keep an eye on that $3300 sandbox!

I also have a stash of 70-year-old Honduras mahogany....(heh, heh...)

Not a poor man's hobby, methinks.
http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/sho..._Mahogany.html

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Wow, that really puts a new price on the redwood sandbox I made 20 years
ago. It wasn't all clear, but it was 7' square, with diagonally planked
seats all around the outside and two full-length toy boxes, 22" high. I
started with 300 board feet of redwood my dad had bought 20 years before
*that* to make a pair of bocci courts, but they moved before he could
build
them.

You're gonna need a webcam to keep an eye on that $3300 sandbox!

I broke it up and got rid of it around 10 years ago. The redwood was so old
that it was rotting. But it held up really well until the end.

I hand-planed every square inch of those planks with my 80-year-old,
maple-bodied jointer plane. It was a beauty. My wife found a plan in a
magazine and said "like this, only about a foot or two longer on a side."
Sheesh, that tripled the amount of work. I'll have to look around for a
photo of it.

BTW, it was fastened 100% with silicon bronze boat screws. My uncle built
boats as a hobby, and I inherited around 50 pounds of the things.

I also have a stash of 70-year-old Honduras mahogany....(heh, heh...)

Not a poor man's hobby, methinks.
http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/sho..._Mahogany.html

Eh, I thought it would be worth more than that by now. It's nicely figured,
but I have only around 40 board feet left. My uncle used to make furniture,
too, and he was a school shop teacher, so he got great deals.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

I broke it up and got rid of it around 10 years ago. The redwood was so old
that it was rotting. But it held up really well until the end.

I hand-planed every square inch of those planks with my 80-year-old,
maple-bodied jointer plane. It was a beauty. My wife found a plan in a
magazine and said "like this, only about a foot or two longer on a side."
Sheesh, that tripled the amount of work.

"It shouldn't take you long. It's pretty *straightforward*."

Music to my ears.

I'll have to look around for a photo of it.

Please.

BTW, it was fastened 100% with silicon bronze boat screws. My uncle built
boats as a hobby, and I inherited around 50 pounds of the things.

Not 20 - millisecond smacks from a nail gun then?

(Mahogany price quote)

Eh, I thought it would be worth more than that by now. It's nicely figured,
but I have only around 40 board feet left. My uncle used to make furniture,
too, and he was a school shop teacher, so he got great deals.

Does the price go down when you are the seller?

My wood monger would probably quote $150 a board foot for that
mahogany, without so much as a grin.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:57:15 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:03:26 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

Easy with Mr. Post Hole Digger

I prefer the dainty Mr. Transplant Spade for this task since my
rotator cuffs ain't what they used to be. http://goo.gl/cFLH5
PG207, a hard-workin', stainless tool.

Thought provoking, that.

(...)

I want him to pay me for the privilege if possible, but
lumber prices are dirt low and nobody local mills redwood, so it's
nearly unsalable. Go figure.

Something is Rotten in Denmark, then.

My local wood monger wants (are you sitting down?) $5.50 *a foot*
for 1 x 6 clear heart redwood fence boards. $27.50 a board!

I went to my local big box store and picked up a bunch of construction
grade for ~4.00 per board. Extortionate but not as bad as the pros.

Time to weld up a sawmill, Larry!
http://provillage.files.wordpress.co...ng?w=420&h=304

I rectum so, huh? http://www.builditplans.com/
Plans to verTICKLE one. sigh

One problem is that the bitch behind me built a horse arena (IE:
scraped it flat and tossed sand on top) so I no longer have the OK to
drop the trees there, as she promised last year. Grrrrr...

Another problem is how to get 8' lengths of redwood down off the tree
and how to move them around after they're down.

Another problem is not having any place to dry it.

Another problem is not having any money after Uncle Sam got through
with me this year. I'd have built a small shop otherwise.

Then there's the problem of 6k pounds of branches. I wonder what size
chippers they rent. (I could use the chips after removing my lawn.)

Decisions, decisions...

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
Oh MAN, you guys are gluttons for punishment. If you haven't got Mr.
Big Hoe at your disposal, go the chemical route. A heavy shot of
potassium nitrate in holes drilled in the stump will rot it out in six
weeks. Then fill the holes with diesel fuel, put your BBQ lid over it
with a pile of charcoal and burn the stump out.

I've got 4 stumps that could use that treatment....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=potassium+nitrate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11075455533020201748&sa=X&ei=rZW3TdGKHpDCsAO 63f2oAQ&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAQ#

How many pounds per stump, Karl?

That's a ridiculous price, Winnie. Try http://goo.gl/Zo58B premix.

Yup. I was just marveling that the stuff was available at all.
As you see, Karl cited a couple prices that are much more in keeping
with my frugal nature.

But the stumps have to be dead first. That rules my yard out.

I love the Com-Pleet (glyphosate) from Green Light. It's less than 1/4
the cost of Roundup. A quart of 41% is $15 to a quart of 18% Roundup
for $22. The only downside is that Roundup can work at a slightly
lower application temperature. (A guy who runs a local Ace Hardware
clued me into that. He hears all the testimony from farmers.) Anyway,
I trust the brand. T'won't take a stump out, tho.

Printed. Thank you sir.

Jewelcome.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:03:26 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

Easy with Mr. Post Hole Digger

I prefer the dainty Mr. Transplant Spade for this task since my
rotator cuffs ain't what they used to be. http://goo.gl/cFLH5
PG207, a hard-workin', stainless tool.

Thought provoking, that.

(...)

I want him to pay me for the privilege if possible, but
lumber prices are dirt low and nobody local mills redwood, so it's
nearly unsalable. Go figure.

Something is Rotten in Denmark, then.

I thought so. Truckers say "It'll cost an arm and a leg to drive to
NorCal to sell it to a mill." Plus the tree is split. It grew two
parallel peaks with flats in the middle. That's the main reason I want
it down.

My local wood monger wants (are you sitting down?) $5.50 *a foot*
for 1 x 6 clear heart redwood fence boards. $27.50 a board!

It's not available in So Oregon.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:57:15 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

Time to weld up a sawmill, Larry!
http://provillage.files.wordpress.co...ng?w=420&h=304

I rectum so, huh? http://www.builditplans.com/
Plans to verTICKLE one.sigh

OMG! That is so COOL! I love the knuckle boom!

One problem is that the bitch behind me built a horse arena (IE:
scraped it flat and tossed sand on top) so I no longer have the OK to
drop the trees there, as she promised last year. Grrrrr...

Another problem is how to get 8' lengths of redwood down off the tree
and how to move them around after they're down.

The lumberjacks in 1800 didn't have Google. I'm just saying.

Another problem is not having any place to dry it.

Guy down the street has a back lot.
He would be Very Happy to dry a tree's worth of redwood
if he could keep say 10%.

Another problem is not having any money after Uncle Sam got through
with me this year. I'd have built a small shop otherwise.

Then there's the problem of 6k pounds of branches. I wonder what size
chippers they rent. (I could use the chips after removing my lawn.)

The essence of engineering is getting what we want from
what we have. Or words to that effect.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:57:15 -0700,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I want him to pay me for the privilege if possible, but
lumber prices are dirt low and nobody local mills redwood, so it's
nearly unsalable. Go figure.

Notice how much the prices change when you ask at the 'sales'
window? No market, my hiney.

I notice there is no local market for metal scrap
in my area. Folks are still stealing funeral urns
electrical cable and manhole covers though.

It is a puzzlement.

Something is Rotten in Denmark, then.

I thought so. Truckers say "It'll cost an arm and a leg to drive to
NorCal to sell it to a mill." Plus the tree is split. It grew two
parallel peaks with flats in the middle. That's the main reason I want
it down.

Must be a weird-looking redwood, with no straight sections over 5' long.
(Huge Grin)

My local wood monger wants (are you sitting down?) $5.50 *a foot*
for 1 x 6 clear heart redwood fence boards. $27.50 a board!

It's not available in So Oregon.

No more coal in Newcastle then?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Anyway for five hours work I've got twelve holes drilled, and still
have a few days repair just to get back where i was when i woke up.

I jumped into the shower today and found out that the pilot light on the water heater went
out yesterday. Brrr. I'm in the buff, my clothes are in the washer.

Yesterday, I spent an hour trying to get a machine at work limping along when I really
needed to spend 30 minutes getting parts coming in for today that are 4 days away.

So today, I started fabbing a part figuring my limp along would fail and it sure did. I
was making a nylon bushing to replace an improperly spec 'd part that failed and I blew
looking up a dimension. 36mm OD instead of 32 mm OD.

So I run out to the machine after I finish the 20.1 mm id (2" deep) and learn about the 32
mm housing. No problem, I'll turn half of the bushing and turn it around. .100" from
being finished, a production line down, the spindle winds down. I lost control power.

I open control panel, check overloads, bump the spindle motor starter and chuck spins.
Check control panel door safety switch, seems okay. Call over another tech, hey, when I
tell you push in this relay. Turn off last .100" and reach to un-chuck part. Moment of
worry sets in, look at tech, show me your hands, I don't want you to touch anything while
I have the chuck key in. Get part out, noting possible industrial accident avoided and
get machine running.

Order different parts to re-engineer an engineers failed effort coming in tomorrow.

Outside of the water heater, it was a pretty good day for me.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I havn't tried it, but have heard that powdered milk also
rots stumps. and, no visits from Department of Fatherland
Security, when buying ingredients for explosive.

I'd have thought you'd drill a bunch of holes, put the
nitrate on, and then light it up. Potassium nitrate is
oxidizer, and will accelerate the burn.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message
Karl Townsend wrote:
Oh MAN, you guys are gluttons for punishment. If you
haven't got Mr.
Big Hoe at your disposal, go the chemical route. A heavy
shot of
potassium nitrate in holes drilled in the stump will rot
it out in six
weeks. Then fill the holes with diesel fuel, put your BBQ
lid over it
with a pile of charcoal and burn the stump out.

I've got 4 stumps that could use that treatment....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=potassium+nitrate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11075455533020201748&sa=X&ei=rZW3TdGKHpDCsAO 63f2oAQ&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAQ#

How many pounds per stump, Karl?

--Winston

Cannot touch bottom left of 4-wire touch screen ChaseAdam Electronics Repair 8 October 12th 09 09:57 AM
Anybody out here with a King Midas milling machine? pmaston Metalworking 1 February 6th 08 05:00 PM
Myson Midas Gas Usage gary UK diy 1 December 12th 06 01:41 PM
Touch-n-Glow touch activation adapter for fluorescent fixtures. [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 2nd 05 04:02 AM
New oil tank Titan or Midas [email protected] UK diy 2 July 10th 05 07:23 PM