Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default common problem with Dell PCs

I have noticed a problem with Dell PCs but b4 I advice my boss I want
to be sure.
Almost all our Dell machines (both optiplex 240 and 270) 22 out of 28
machines are all having problem with the primary IDE. After trying to
use the secondary IDE it also could not be detected.
at startup the screen will say primary, secondary IDE not found or
something like that. For one machine the CD ROM drive was detected but
when it was unplugged and plugged later the machine could not detect
it again. Is there a way round it?
We've had this problem b4 all effort to repair them failed so they
were discarded.
I don't want to jump into conclusion as a company's name is at
stake.
Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The Optiplex 200 series and numerous other models have a bad reputation
already, so go ahead and call them crap.

You would be wise to begin looking for replacement machines now, as the
remaining models will most likely be failing in various ways, causing
numerous work-related problems as they die.

These products, like most anything manufactured in recent years, are
manufactured with low-cost components, and aren't built to have long
operational lifetimes.

As Baron recommended, the Bad Caps website lists these machines as being one
of the many machines that suffer from electrolytic capacitor failures.

I bought a used 3GHz GX270 a while ago for $40, just to have as a spare
machine, and while looking up specs and motherboard features, I discovered
that this model is also listed as a Bad Caps model.
A short time later, I spotted a fresh refurbished m-bd from Dell for $13 on
eBay. The refurb boards were stocked by Dell as replacement parts for
early-failure Optiplex machines.
I haven't actually put the GX270 to use yet, but I have it for a spare
machine, just in case I'd need one.

One characteristic of the GX270 is that the PSU weighs about 2x more than a
generic PSU of the same output rating.

--
Cheers,
WB

wrote in message
I have noticed a problem with Dell PCs but b4 I advice my boss I want
to be sure.
Almost all our Dell machines (both optiplex 240 and 270) 22 out of 28
machines are all having problem with the primary IDE. After trying to
use the secondary IDE it also could not be detected.
at startup the screen will say primary, secondary IDE not found or
something like that. For one machine the CD ROM drive was detected but
when it was unplugged and plugged later the machine could not detect
it again. Is there a way round it?
We've had this problem b4 all effort to repair them failed so they
were discarded.
I don't want to jump into conclusion as a company's name is at
stake.
Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 04:23:08 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I have noticed a problem with Dell PCs but b4 I advice my boss I want
to be sure.
Almost all our Dell machines (both optiplex 240 and 270) 22 out of 28
machines are all having problem with the primary IDE. After trying to
use the secondary IDE it also could not be detected.
at startup the screen will say primary, secondary IDE not found or
something like that. For one machine the CD ROM drive was detected but
when it was unplugged and plugged later the machine could not detect
it again. Is there a way round it?
We've had this problem b4 all effort to repair them failed so they
were discarded.
I don't want to jump into conclusion as a company's name is at
stake.
Thanks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?_r=1
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/projectfailures/dell-lawsuit-pattern-of-deceit/10165
http://dellhellagain.com
A study by Dell found that OptiPlex computers affected by
the bad capacitors were expected to cause problems up to
97 percent of the time over a three-year period, according
to the lawsuit.

I'll assume you mean Dell Optiplex GX240 and GX270. The various case
size power supplies are a source of problems with these and other Dell
units. In addition, some models have problems with bad capacitors on
the motherboard. I've seen both. However, the symptoms of both
problems do NOT resemble your description. What I see are boot
failures and turn on/off problems before it quits completely. Ignoring
the possible bad caps and bad power supplies, it sounds like you have
a fair collection of bad hard disks and possibly one bad CDROM drive.
With what information you supplied, I can't tell from here. Open the
case, blow out the filth, and look inside at the electrolytic
capacitors surrounding the CPU. If they are bulging or leaking,
there's your problem. Also, try testing with a known good (new) hard
disk to be sure it's not a HD failure epidemic.
http://www.google.com/images?q=dell+bad+caps

I often rebuild the motherboards and some power supplies on these
computers. Replacing 15 caps is generally not worth the effort unless
you have the a vacuum desoldering station and a fair replacement parts
collection. Due to variations in PCB hole sizes, some are easy to
replace, while others risk damaging the board. My success rate has
been about 70% which makes repair a risk. Despite all this, I still
buy, resell and use Dell computers. Some are problematic, some should
be avoided, but most seem to hold together quite nicely.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D