Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hmmmm ... Yet another solder compound ...

http://www.elektor.com/news/new-magn..._campaign=news

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:50:26 -0000 "Arfa Daily"
wrote in Message id: :

http://www.elektor.com/news/new-magn..._campaign=news

Arfa

Sounds TGTBT.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 12, 2:26*am, JW wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:50:26 -0000 "Arfa Daily"
wrote in Message id: :

http://www.elektor.com/news/new-magn...vironmentally-...

Arfa

Sounds TGTBT.

I see some potential problems. If any of the components contain a
ferrous metal, then inductive heating would be a problem. Also, iron,
if memory serves has a problem with oxidization. I wonder how they
bond the iron with the other elements to avoid this. maybe it needs
to have conformal coating. What's the price tag going to be for the
solder, and the inductive soldering equipment?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote in message

http://www.elektor.com/news/new-magn...ntally-friendl
y.1285346.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm _campaign=news

Arfa

Assuming not 01 April issue and genuine. By implication the iron is not
going to rust and break down the joint any more than Pb in SnBp will
oxidise/ionise and dissolve/breakdown. How many Tesla to make a joint in
close proximity to chippery?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

http://www.elektor.com/news/new-magn...ntally-friendl
y.1285346.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm _campaign=news

Arfa

Assuming not 01 April issue and genuine. By implication the iron is not
going to rust and break down the joint any more than Pb in SnBp will
oxidise/ionise and dissolve/breakdown. How many Tesla to make a joint in
close proximity to chippery?

Nope. Not an April issue. Internal link to an external paper sent via their
weekly e-newsletter. Generally, Elektor are not given to publishing
non-genuine material, and it seemed pretty feasible to me.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

http://www.elektor.com/news/new-magn..._campaign=news

As others have mentioned, I smell a potential rust problem. Near as I
can read between the lines, the iron is used as a filler to increase
strength and does not chemically bond or alloy with the other
ingredients. That would imply that just about any strong conductive
metal might work. Stainless perhaps?

My current favorite solder is 96% tin and 4% silver. Very expensive
and 220C (430F) melting point.

Also, Tin-Lead-Bismuth mixes, which melt as low as 138C (280F).
http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9605/McCormack-9605.html
Well, Tin-Lead-Bismuth-Silver is more practical at 170C (338F).

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

wrote:

http://www.elektor.com/news/new-magn...ronmentally-fr
iendly.1285346.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=em ail&utm_campaign=news

As others have mentioned, I smell a potential rust problem. Near as I
can read between the lines, the iron is used as a filler to increase
strength and does not chemically bond or alloy with the other
ingredients. That would imply that just about any strong conductive
metal might work. Stainless perhaps?

My current favorite solder is 96% tin and 4% silver. Very expensive
and 220C (430F) melting point.

my fav is 63/37 eutectic. Not lead-free,though.

Also, Tin-Lead-Bismuth mixes, which melt as low as 138C (280F).
http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9605/McCormack-9605.html
Well, Tin-Lead-Bismuth-Silver is more practical at 170C (338F).

the solder in Chip-Quik SMD removal kit(Sony?) melts at 160degF. (FWIW)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in message
4...
Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Is that made from Woods metal , the stuff they make thermal fuses and
fusible resistors from and also joke teaspoons, despite containing cadmium
and lead.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote in message
4...
Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

wrote:

http://www.elektor.com/news/new-magn...nvironmentally
[...]

I'm not sure,IIRC,Sony kept the formula private.
It probably has indium and bismuth in it,I doubt it has cadmium.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Solder pot Matty F UK diy 16 March 2nd 10 09:31 PM
Things That Make You Go Hmmmm (with attachment) charlieb Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 May 21st 07 04:33 PM
Solder? Pop` Home Repair 84 December 27th 06 01:15 AM
SMD Solder Sunny Electronics Repair 0 January 10th 04 04:49 AM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM