Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Kyocera mono laser not feeding properly

Hi,

I've had my Kyocera mono laser printer for about 6 years now, though its
only on its second toner cartridge. The problem is it wont reliably feed
the paper through any more.

I have tried to disassemble but can't get very far.
There is a short, fat, light grey rubber roller that picks up the paper
that I have removed (plastic circlip) and cleaned a few times, with a can of
Platenclene and cotton buds. This seems to feed the paper towards two long
thin rubber rollers that pinch the paper between themselves and long shiny
metal rollers. The paper doesn't get to feed through this second roller
combination. I have cleaned these several times too, but the problem
remains. All the rubber looks and feels quite squidgy and grippy, not hard
and shiny at all.

Any hints?

One other thing that is really annoying - when the printer fails, I open the
paper drawer to remove the folded over sheet that hasn't gone any further.
I then switch off and switch back on the printer to get out of its flashing
LED paper jam mode. The problem is that it takes a very very long time
before the PC can print another page. Maybe 6 or 7 minutes. It doesn't
matter what you do with the (WinXP) print manager, or power or USB
disconnects, (the failed print is still pending), you can't force another
print before something in the system has decided it has had a good long
rest. It is actually quicker to reboot Windows.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis Inscribed thus:

[...]

A model number would be nice !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:54:46 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Hi,

I've had my Kyocera mono laser printer for about 6 years now, though its
only on its second toner cartridge. The problem is it wont reliably feed
the paper through any more.

I have tried to disassemble but can't get very far.
There is a short, fat, light grey rubber roller that picks up the paper
that I have removed (plastic circlip) and cleaned a few times, with a can of
Platenclene and cotton buds. This seems to feed the paper towards two long
thin rubber rollers that pinch the paper between themselves and long shiny
metal rollers. The paper doesn't get to feed through this second roller
combination. I have cleaned these several times too, but the problem
remains. All the rubber looks and feels quite squidgy and grippy, not hard
and shiny at all.

Any hints?

Try (new) different paper. Old paper with high moisture content will
jam more easily. Also different brands may or may not be more prone to
jaming.

One other thing that is really annoying - when the printer fails, I open the
paper drawer to remove the folded over sheet that hasn't gone any further.
I then switch off and switch back on the printer to get out of its flashing
LED paper jam mode. The problem is that it takes a very very long time
before the PC can print another page. Maybe 6 or 7 minutes. It doesn't
matter what you do with the (WinXP) print manager, or power or USB
disconnects, (the failed print is still pending), you can't force another
print before something in the system has decided it has had a good long
rest. It is actually quicker to reboot Windows.

Check the owner's manual, you should not have to power off to reset
the error condition. The printer should recover the print job
automatically.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

[...]

Try lightly roughening the rubber with a nail file, sandpaper or the like.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

I've done this a couple of times with fine emery paper and platenclene, the
same technique I have used on DAT and reel to reel pinch rollers for years,
which works really well. Thus I don't think this is wholly a rubber
problem.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I was at home, the printer is at work. Now I am at work, it is an
Ecosys PS1020D.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
[...]