Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sorta on topic, Raytek MT6 non contact thermometer

I've had a desire for a non contact thermometer. Googling around I found the Raytek MT6
which for 50 bucks delivered from Amazon seemed like a deal. It looks like a direct copy
of the Fluke model.

Measures from -20F to 932F which beats the range of the cheap Centechs I saw at Harbor
Freight. Has a laser pointer to show where it is looking. LCD panel is backlit, shows
current and peak temperature and locks the display showing last temp read + peak for a few
seconds so you can read it after releasing trigger.

I bought it to use to see where the heat excapes from my machine room, well, that was my
excuse, you know I just needed any reason.

Biggest losses seem to be the concrete slab floor. I thought the door would be worse than
it is but then it really isn't all that cold outside yet. Come winter, I'll map things
out a bit more.

Kind of handy. My defroster timer died (stripped gears) so I've been advancing the switch
each day to give the fridge and freezer a defrost cycle for a few minutes. I used it to
measure interior temperatures just a few moments ago. Freezer is at -14.5F atm.

I'll order a new timer Monday.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

[...]

You missed the good Centechs at HF, model 91778 I believe, those do -56F
to 1,200F accurately (compared with my Fluke 87 and TK80) despite what
the package says. I'm not sure what the real specs are on the latest
model.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

You missed the good Centechs at HF, model 91778 I believe, those do -56F
to 1,200F accurately (compared with my Fluke 87 and TK80) despite what
the package says. I'm not sure what the real specs are on the latest
model.

# Temperature range: -4°F/-20°C to 968°F/520°C
# Distance to spot accuracy: 8 to 1

If it had been -56 to 1,200F I'd have given it a try.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

You missed the good Centechs at HF, model 91778 I believe, those do -56F
to 1,200F accurately (compared with my Fluke 87 and TK80) despite what
the package says. I'm not sure what the real specs are on the latest
model.

# Temperature range: -4°F/-20°C to 968°F/520°C
# Distance to spot accuracy: 8 to 1

If it had been -56 to 1,200F I'd have given it a try.

I don't know if those are the real specs or not. On the 91778 the
package said something like 0-328F and clearly the unit far exceeded
those specs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use an infared thermometer while doing refrigeration and
HVAC. My first one was UEI brand. Said that it doesn't read
accurately on shiny metal. To read the temp of metal, it's a
good idea to put on a piece of masking or electrical tape,
and read the temperature of the tape. I've found that to be
good advice. I've had to put a lot of electrical tape on
copper tubing.

Harbor Freight has small ones about the size of a car key
fob. I carry one in my suit pocket, so I can do quick temp
reading, and see if the room is too hot or cold. Point it at
the ceiling, and do quick IR temp read of the ceiling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Defrost timer specs

Typically about 20 minutes every 8 hours. Varies by brand,
but they aren't at all fussy.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message

My defroster timer died (stripped gears) so I've been
advancing the switch
each day to give the fridge and freezer a defrost cycle for
a few minutes. I used it to
measure interior temperatures just a few moments ago.
Freezer is at -14.5F atm.

I'll order a new timer Monday.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Typically about 20 minutes every 8 hours. Varies by brand,
but they aren't at all fussy.

And the timer only runs when the compressor thermostat is calling for cold.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 08:36:49 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I use an infared thermometer while doing refrigeration and
HVAC. My first one was UEI brand. Said that it doesn't read
accurately on shiny metal. To read the temp of metal, it's a
good idea to put on a piece of masking or electrical tape,
and read the temperature of the tape. I've found that to be
good advice. I've had to put a lot of electrical tape on
copper tubing.

Harbor Freight has small ones about the size of a car key
fob. I carry one in my suit pocket, so I can do quick temp
reading, and see if the room is too hot or cold. Point it at
the ceiling, and do quick IR temp read of the ceiling.

You wear a suit while servicing?

Wow..Im impressed!!!

Gunner VBG

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I use an infared thermometer while doing refrigeration and
HVAC. My first one was UEI brand. Said that it doesn't read
accurately on shiny metal. To read the temp of metal, it's a
good idea to put on a piece of masking or electrical tape,
and read the temperature of the tape. I've found that to be
good advice. I've had to put a lot of electrical tape on
copper tubing.

Harbor Freight has small ones about the size of a car key
fob. I carry one in my suit pocket, so I can do quick temp
reading, and see if the room is too hot or cold. Point it at
the ceiling, and do quick IR temp read of the ceiling.

You wear a suit while servicing?

Wow..Im impressed!!!

Gunner VBG

I'd hate to see what his rates are. Likely up there with a Chicago plumber.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Simplex fire alarm techs used to come to the jobsite in a white shirt and
tie, like IBM employees.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some models are wired like that. Others run all the time.
One of the models of stat, you had to choose. Put the wire
here or there, to determine of it was cumulative run (runs
with the compressor) or continuous run (runs all the time).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Typically about 20 minutes every 8 hours. Varies by brand,
but they aren't at all fussy.

And the timer only runs when the compressor thermostat is
calling for cold.

Wes
--
"Additionally as a security officer, I carry a gun to
protect

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Only wear my suit on Sunday. When I'm doing IR scans on
Sunday, I'm feeding my retirement. My retirement plan is out
of this world.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wes" wrote in message

I'd hate to see what his rates are. Likely up there with a
Chicago plumber.

Wes
--
"Additionally as a security officer, I carry a gun to
protect
government officials but my life isn't worth protecting at
home
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Some models are wired like that. Others run all the time.
One of the models of stat, you had to choose. Put the wire
here or there, to determine of it was cumulative run (runs
with the compressor) or continuous run (runs all the time).

Cumulative run sounds like a humid area option.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:10:51 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I use an infared thermometer while doing refrigeration and
HVAC. My first one was UEI brand. Said that it doesn't read
accurately on shiny metal. To read the temp of metal, it's a
good idea to put on a piece of masking or electrical tape,
and read the temperature of the tape. I've found that to be
good advice. I've had to put a lot of electrical tape on
copper tubing.

Harbor Freight has small ones about the size of a car key
fob. I carry one in my suit pocket, so I can do quick temp
reading, and see if the room is too hot or cold. Point it at
the ceiling, and do quick IR temp read of the ceiling.

You wear a suit while servicing?

Wow..Im impressed!!!

Gunner VBG

I'd hate to see what his rates are. Likely up there with a Chicago plumber.

You can relax, guys. It's a _jump_ suit. Y'know, coveralls.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I use an infared thermometer while doing refrigeration and
HVAC. My first one was UEI brand. Said that it doesn't read
accurately on shiny metal. To read the temp of metal, it's a
good idea to put on a piece of masking or electrical tape,
and read the temperature of the tape. I've found that to be
good advice. I've had to put a lot of electrical tape on
copper tubing.

Harbor Freight has small ones about the size of a car key
fob. I carry one in my suit pocket, so I can do quick temp
reading, and see if the room is too hot or cold. Point it at
the ceiling, and do quick IR temp read of the ceiling.

You wear a suit while servicing?

Wow..Im impressed!!!

Gunner VBG

I'd hate to see what his rates are. Likely up there with a Chicago plumber.

You can relax, guys. It's a _jump_ suit. Y'know, coveralls.

Oooooooohhhhh!!! Ok!

VBG

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The suit I mentioned was my Sunday clothing. I am one of the
maintenance guys at church, and knowing the room
temperatures is useful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message ...

You wear a suit while servicing?

Wow..Im impressed!!!

Gunner VBG

I'd hate to see what his rates are. Likely up there with a
Chicago plumber.

You can relax, guys. It's a _jump_ suit. Y'know,
coveralls.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the
restraints.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll bet he can't even jump. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I took my brand name Raytek outdoors. Thermometer on the
wall says about 34F out there. But felt a bit colder than
that. The infared said more like 22 or so, when I pointed at
the walls, trees, etc. Empty sky gave me 888 reading, and F
blinking in the corner of the display.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus