Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Space Shuttle Syndrome!

I've been out of the shop for quite a number of weeks now due to
experimenting with drugs. (Kaiser's idea, not mine) Anyway, I've handled
most everything I need to at home with a phone and a laptop. However, one
of my engineers working on a long-term project that is really a bunch of
short-term projects bolted together, has gone off the deep end. A simple
mechanism that's supposed to have 3 limit switches bolted on some PVC pipe
mounted in plywood. It will have a wire coming from a spool pass through it
and the switches will turn on and off a feed unit as the wire gets tight or
loose. The third switch turns everything off if the wire jams up. I
penciled on a sheet of paper what I wanted not thinking it wasn't worth CAD
drawings.

In my absence, the engineer has created the most complicated Rube Goldberg
monster that he possibly could. I was in the shop yesterday to review
everything and was shown the CAD drawings of all 20 of the precision parts.
Since we need three of these mechanisms and there's more than one each of
the parts needed for each mechanism, the machining time has run into weeks.
( I planned an afternoon for the PVC/Plywood version.)

I don't want to stifle creativity or initiative but WTF! Is there an
official name for this or have I coined the phrase?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I was a lead engineer, I used to hand out KISS violations. Looked like
a speeding ticket. I had seen the form someplace, looked great when slapped
on a design.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
I've been out of the shop for quite a number of weeks now

(...)

That would be 'Feature creep':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeping_featurism

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
[...]

giving you a serious answer - it is called "mis-communication" - the
engineer understood that you wanted a mechanism designed with certain
characteristics - he didn't understand the other constraints. Not being
there at the time, I can't tell you why this is, but I've been on both ends
of it - did you actually say, you can use 3 switches, some plywood and some
PVC pipe - this is to be "cheap and dirty"? if you said it, did he really
understand it? this is not a matter of stifling creativity - you don't have
to punish the guy (yet) but you do need to say "that's not what I had in
mind", explain what is wrong, and ask him how HE would suggest getting back
to your original intent.

When I had a lab of folks, I always "encouraged" failure, within some
limits - by that I mean, that if someone wanted to take an approach that I
was suspicious of, AND if it would not be fatal to the project, I would
express my reservations and say "go try it your way, but be on the lookout
for these issues" - sometimes their way was great, but if they ran into the
kinds of issues I pointed out and it got to be a problem, then there was buy
in to "my" way rather than having it dictated - this was much more
effective, and I got much better results - at least with every employee who
wanted to achieve results. I had a couple who were worthless, and could not
do anything - those had to go

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 14, 3:20*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
"Buerste" wrote in message

[...]

Bill,

Your methodology has worked and paid off in spades for me when I was
in charge of manufacturing engineering. Also allowed me to sleep much
better at night and on weekends:-))

buerste,

Did you tell your engineer your cost and schedule expectations? Life
expectancy of this device? Reliability requirements? I was at the
receiving end of such a situation as you describe, and once I
explained my reasons for my design decisions the powers-that-be agreed
with my decisions.

Issuing constraints after the job is done can drive one to drink.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
[...]

Is the guy who built it also the guy who will have to fix it when it
fouls up? Will he get yelled at for the downtime while he fixes it?

Sounds a bit like he overengineered it to make sure it will last and
work well. Unless he designed in failure modes...

Or he just didn't get it...

BTW, I can easily see how you trigger loose and taut, how do you measure
Jam? Is that just a second step past taut?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:55:48 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

[...]

Dad used to have Retired Colonel's Syndrome. What you're looking at is
BES, or Bored Engineer's Syndrome. He was thinking "I could whip
something out in a couple hours, but I have all this time to kill, so
let's see what I can dream up...'

Don't you teach your workers the KISS principle, Druggie Tawm?

Get well soon.
xox

--
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

I've been out of the shop for quite a number of weeks now due to
experimenting with drugs. (Kaiser's idea, not mine) Anyway, I've handled
most everything I need to at home with a phone and a laptop. However, one
of my engineers working on a long-term project that is really a bunch of
short-term projects bolted together, has gone off the deep end. A simple
mechanism that's supposed to have 3 limit switches bolted on some PVC pipe
mounted in plywood. It will have a wire coming from a spool pass through it
and the switches will turn on and off a feed unit as the wire gets tight or
loose. The third switch turns everything off if the wire jams up. I
penciled on a sheet of paper what I wanted not thinking it wasn't worth CAD
drawings.

So you have an arm with a pulley designed to trap the wire and have the arm raised as
tension is applied. When the arm is high it is too tight, when it lowers to a point it is
too lose and when it falls down, the wire is jammed.

Arm has a cam or or three at pivot. (plywood is mounting surface). Done.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

In my absence, the engineer has created the most complicated Rube Goldberg
monster that he possibly could. I was in the shop yesterday to review
everything and was shown the CAD drawings of all 20 of the precision parts.
Since we need three of these mechanisms and there's more than one each of
the parts needed for each mechanism, the machining time has run into weeks.
( I planned an afternoon for the PVC/Plywood version.)

So you have an arm with a pulley designed to trap the wire and have the arm raised as
tension is applied. When the arm is high it is too tight, when it lowers to a point it is
too lose and when it falls down, the wire is jammed.

Arm has a cam or or three at pivot. (plywood is mounting surface). Done.

Tensioning arm is left for the student.

Btw, forte ate my post so I'm reposting. Sorry if it duplicates.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I teach this design stuff, sure is hard to get all of these messages
across!!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stuart Wheaton" wrote in message
Buerste wrote:
[...]

Exactly. That switch will be above the "Start Despoiling" and be in
parallel with the e-stop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

I try. Roger excels in our technology but he operates best when we have
frequent interaction. But, I'm still waiting for my product photographs
from one of the other departments....ARGH!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote:

[...]

We've used dancers for years and need to improve. The new set-up replaces
such and has almost no mass or inertia like the dancers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 03:41:53 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hey, fly me out. I'll take the photos myself.

--
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power
to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

In my absence, the engineer has created the most complicated Rube Goldberg
monster that he possibly could.

I have an engineer tell me that his job was to take something simple, cheap,
and efficiant, and engineer it into something complicated, expensive, and
pron to failure!
True story!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

In my absence, the engineer has created the most complicated Rube
Goldberg monster that he possibly could.

I have an engineer tell me that his job was to take something simple,
cheap, and efficiant, and engineer it into something complicated,
expensive, and pron to failure!
True story!!

yes, but engineers generally have a wry sense of humor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 03:41:53 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'll send you my sister's broom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 07:20:06 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Ill bring my Hassy and the Nikons...and let Larry carry the strobes

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:37:23 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

In my absence, the engineer has created the most complicated Rube
Goldberg monster that he possibly could.

I have an engineer tell me that his job was to take something simple,
cheap, and efficiant, and engineer it into something complicated,
expensive, and pron to failure!
True story!!

yes, but engineers generally have a wry sense of humor

If we have one at all.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

We've used dancers for years and need to improve. The new set-up replaces
such and has almost no mass or inertia like the dancers.

What did you expect with the data I had to work with?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 14:47:39 -0400, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Hey, fly me out. I'll take the photos myself.

I'll send you my sister's broom.

KEWL! Is it a Nimbus 2000? Huh? Huh? Huh?

--
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power
to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 13:13:48 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

Ill bring my Hassy and the Nikons...and let Larry carry the strobes

If it's a tandem broom, I'll swing down and pick you up on the way.

--
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power
to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:10:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 13:13:48 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

Ill bring my Hassy and the Nikons...and let Larry carry the strobes

If it's a tandem broom, I'll swing down and pick you up on the way.

Cool!!! Do I get to wear my leathers?

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 23:05:46 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 13:13:48 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

Ill bring my Hassy and the Nikons...and let Larry carry the strobes

If it's a tandem broom, I'll swing down and pick you up on the way.

Cool!!! Do I get to wear my leathers?

I'll have to check the manual to see if they'll stand up to 1kph+
speeds. I'll need a good flight suit, too.

The hour-and-a-half trip should be lots of fun, what with dodging
birds and playing chicken with commercial airliners.

--
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power
to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Britain's answer to the Space Shuttle Spehro Pefhany Metalworking 12 June 20th 09 07:54 PM
OT Space Shuttle question [email protected] Metalworking 23 July 2nd 08 06:02 AM
Space Shuttle Grouting Rusty UK diy 79 August 16th 05 01:11 AM
How to craft a space shuttle ??? Winnie Oakbob Metalworking 11 June 10th 05 08:18 AM
Making a space shuttle Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 6 December 30th 03 03:03 PM