Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spinning aluminum bottleneck

Hi all,

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/05...e/heineken.jpg

I am trying to make this aluminum bottle. The body of the bottle can
be deep drawn and ironing, But I don't know how the bottleneck is
done. Look likes spinning is used, but how do they take the spinning
mold out of the bottle when it's done?

Can somebody help me with this? some picture and video would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tuan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 10:34 pm, " wrote:

I am trying to make this aluminum bottle. The body of the bottle can
be deep drawn and ironing, But I don't know how the bottleneck is
done. Look likes spinning is used, but how do they take the spinning
mold out of the bottle when it's done?

The ratios there look a bit challenging, but one technique is to make
the spinning form out of an assembly of pieces that will each fit
through the neck. You remove one key piece and then all the others
come out one by one.

Another would be to cast the form out of a low melting point metal and
then melt it out when done. In that case you'd make the mold to cast
the form so you could recast it for each item.

A third idea might be to spin the neck down without anything inside
the tapering part, perhaps with a rod inside the neck to define that.

A fourth idea would be to have an inside tool that's moved along with
the outside tool in a controlled manner, more closely approaching the
shape each time. CNC spinning so to speak.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 10:34 pm, " wrote:

[...]

You might also do the deep draw first, then hold it in a collet while
spinning the neck with three rollers that slowly close and form the neck.
Then perhaps only forming the threads would require a straight insert.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 10:34 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Hi Tim,
Thanks you very much for the advice.
I saw this video on youtube today, and I think I might try this method
first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jJdzUUOC4
I think the last method that you mention is how Sigg make their
aluminum bottle.
Thanks again. I will keep you updated on the making of the bottle.
Tuan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
On Jul 25, 11:28 am, "Tim" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jul 24, 10:34 pm, " wrote:

I am trying to make this aluminum bottle. The body of the bottle can
be deep drawn and ironing, But I don't know how the bottleneck is

-snip-

A fourth idea would be to have an inside tool that's moved along with
the outside tool in a controlled manner, more closely approaching the
shape each time. CNC spinning so to speak.

You might also do the deep draw first, then hold it in a collet while
spinning the neck with three rollers that slowly close and form the neck.
Then perhaps only forming the threads would require a straight insert.

Hi Tim,
Thanks you very much for the advice.
I saw this video on youtube today, and I think I might try this method
first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jJdzUUOC4
I think the last method that you mention is how Sigg make their
aluminum bottle.
Thanks again. I will keep you updated on the making of the bottle.
Tuan

holy ****. awesome. cool! is that how they make oxygen tanks?!
years ago i got a gingery book "metal spinning", wrote about "spinning in
air" with no metal back up form. those necked aluminum bottles are pretty
amazing. when they neck down aluminum cans they do it lightning fast, i
suppose necking the aluminum bottles is slower but i'd assume still
incredibly fast. seems they'd need to insert some sort of tool to back it
up (due to the thinness of the material)(?).

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message

You might also do the deep draw first, then hold it in a collet while
spinning the neck with three rollers that slowly close and form the neck.
Then perhaps only forming the threads would require a straight insert.

Hi Tim,
Thanks you very much for the advice.
I saw this video on youtube today, and I think I might try this method
first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9jJdzUUOC4
I think the last method that you mention is how Sigg make their
aluminum bottle.
Thanks again. I will keep you updated on the making of the bottle.

Very cool, thanks for the link.

You might be able to spin your bottle with a single roller with soft
aluminum, I really don't know for sure. Let us know what you find out. I
would certainly be curious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What you're looking for is called "spinning on air"
Essentially spinning without anything backing it up.
I've seen guys spin candlesticks out of 28g silver. It requires a lot of
skill and a light touch.

The necks on Sigg bottles are done with sequential drawing dies. I think
there were 16 of them. It was on "How its made" last week

Paul K. Dickman

" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 10:34 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 7:34*pm, " wrote:
Hi all,

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/05...e/heineken.jpg

I am trying to make this aluminum bottle. The body of the bottle can
be deep drawn and ironing, But I don't know how the bottleneck is
done. Look likes spinning is used, but how do they take the spinning
mold out of the bottle when it's done?

Can somebody help me with this? some picture and video would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tuan

I'm wondering if it is formed hydraulically - water as a fluid?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 8:34*pm, " wrote:
Hi all,

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/05...e/heineken.jpg

I am trying to make this aluminum bottle. The body of the bottle can
be deep drawn and ironing, But I don't know how the bottleneck is
done. Look likes spinning is used, but how do they take the spinning
mold out of the bottle when it's done?

Can somebody help me with this? some picture and video would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tuan

One of the how-to shows had exactly that, making aluminum hiker's
water bottles. Was a recent show, How It's Made, I believe.

One way I've seen it done is to use a segmented die and squeeze it
down. The metal temper will have to be just right to get that to
work, though. I think a mandrel was used to back up the work.

Stan

Spinning aluminum GeneT Metalworking 2 February 18th 09 05:18 AM
Karle Lathe Spinning Tools and Dual Use Spinning/Storage Cabinet Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 5 March 12th 06 04:33 AM
Karle Lathe Spinning Tools and Dual Use Spinning/Storage Cabinet Too_Many_Tools Woodworking 5 March 12th 06 04:33 AM
Karle Lathe Spinning Tools and Dual Use Spinning/Storage Cabinet Too_Many_Tools Woodturning 8 March 7th 06 11:24 AM
U.S. tests new ceramic armor made of aluminum oxynitride (clear aluminum) Gunner Asch Metalworking 7 December 25th 05 02:31 PM