Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can I recover deleted doc

My small was helping me to type some doc. but he made a mistake,
instead of typing a capital A
he pressed the ctrl key and hit A which selected all and in an attempt
to type the next letter deleted the whole doc.(this is what I think)
and saved it. Please is there any way I can recover this doc? I have
used a recovery software but it gave me the new doc. instead. (the
software is Recover my file). Thanks in anticipation to ya help.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
My small was helping me to type some doc. but he made a mistake,
instead of typing a capital A
he pressed the ctrl key and hit A which selected all and in an attempt
to type the next letter deleted the whole doc.(this is what I think)
and saved it. Please is there any way I can recover this doc? I have
used a recovery software but it gave me the new doc. instead. (the
software is Recover my file). Thanks in anticipation to ya help.

Look in the folder where the document was stored and you might find what you
need.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you didn't close the document, you might be able to restore the contents
with ALT+BKSP to reverse the deletion.

If the application saves a backup file, it might be on the hard drive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , William
Sommerwerck writes
If you didn't close the document, you might be able to restore the contents
with ALT+BKSP to reverse the deletion.

If the application saves a backup file, it might be on the hard drive.

Don't save any more files.
Look at:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...estoration.sht
ml

The following is copied from Pricelessware. I would use the latest
version. It says it is non-install.

Restoration (v 2.5.14)
Company: --
Author: Brian Kato
(Freeware) LFW (v 2.5.14)
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Note: There is a V3.2.13 from
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...estoration.sht
ml

Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP NOTES: No install; no registry
entries.
Languages: English
deleted while holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this
program has another function that makes it almost impossible to restore
all deleted files. You can use it after deletion of confidential
documents, embarrassing files and so on. You don't have to install it,
so it doesn't leave any garbage in the PC. (You can also run it from a
floppy disk.) Even if a file seems to be restored, there is no guarantee
that the contents are correct. After you run the program, please check
the files. You can probably restore it correctly if the drive has enough
free space and if it's just after deletion. If you restore a folder,
there is no guarantee that all files or folders which used to belong to
the folder will be in it. If you can't find them in it, please search
and restore them one by one. If you still can't find them, it's
impossible to restore them. It will be almost impossible to restore any
deleted files if you run the complete deletion function. To be exact,
fragments of deleted files can be in last clusters of existing files or
allocated and unwritten files. (Note that this function is not suitable
for TOP SECRET information.) Even if you find the information of
completely deleted files, their contents must be erased. If you want to
erase the information too, please run the function again.
Program description: download:
v 2.5.14 (2003- - )
[ REST2514.EXE (193 KB)]
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
(desc. rev.: 2007-01-11) desc.link ACF participants notes and review
comments
PL2007-CD files: n/a
--
Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

fynnashba@ yahoo.com wrote:
My small [???] was helping me to type some doc.
but he made a mistake, instead of typing a capital A
he pressed the ctrl key and hit A which selected all
and in an attempt to type the next letter deleted the whole doc.
(this is what I think) and saved it.
I have used a recovery software but it gave me the new doc. instead.
Please is there any way I can recover this doc?

Nope. You've done all that can be done.
So that this doesn't happen again,
I suggest you implement a BACKUP regimen.

This group is about repairing circuits.
In the future, questions about how to use your Windoze computer
belong in a group with *microsoft* in its name.
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...crosoft.public
specifically
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...ft.public.word
Ask there about "incremental backups".

....and since you're already using Google to post to Usenet,
you should learn how to use their search engine:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...ndelete&qt_s=1

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 28 May 2009 21:38:06 +1000, Bob Larter wrote:
wrote:
My small was helping me to type some doc. but he made a mistake,
instead of typing a capital A
he pressed the ctrl key and hit A which selected all and in an attempt
to type the next letter deleted the whole doc.(this is what I think)
and saved it. Please is there any way I can recover this doc? I have
used a recovery software but it gave me the new doc. instead. (the
software is Recover my file). Thanks in anticipation to ya help.

What you should've done *immediately* after the mistake would have been
to hit CTRL+Z one or more times, which would've undone the deletion. Now
that you've exited the program & mucked around with your file, it's
probably too late to do anything about it. Still, maybe this tip will
help you out the next time it happens. (& it will! ;^)

Maybe he'll learn the value of backups.

Never leave a file without a backup that you're not prepared to lose forever.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Maybe he'll learn the value of backups.
Never leave a file without a backup that you're not prepared to lose

forever.

In the early '80s, I _twice_ destroyed an hour's unsaved work by
accidentally kicking the power cord out of an Apple ][.

I learned my lesson. I save files every few minutes, and never walk away
from my computer without making sure that nothing is unsaved. In the case of
Word, I have the "always create backup" option enabled.

You'd be amazed at the number of otherwise-intelligent people who fail to do
these things.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 28 May 2009 07:10:48 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Maybe he'll learn the value of backups.
Never leave a file without a backup that you're not prepared to lose

forever.

In the early '80s, I _twice_ destroyed an hour's unsaved work by
accidentally kicking the power cord out of an Apple ][.

There used to be a HW addon for apple II's for people who accidentaly hit
the reset button located on the upper right of the keyboard.

I learned my lesson. I save files every few minutes, and never walk away
from my computer without making sure that nothing is unsaved. In the case of
Word, I have the "always create backup" option enabled.

You'd be amazed at the number of otherwise-intelligent people who fail to do
these things.

Files that I care about are backed up on three systems, one being a raid server
that can lose two drives without dataloss, and on a removable drive. However,
I've been remiss about having offsite backups. One housefire and I'd lose
everything.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In the early '80s, I _twice_ destroyed an hour's unsaved work
by accidentally kicking the power cord out of an Apple ][.

There used to be a HW add-on for apple II's for people who accidentaly
hit the reset button located on the upper right of the keyboard.

I KICKED OUT THE POWER CORD.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 28 May 2009 09:16:03 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
In the early '80s, I _twice_ destroyed an hour's unsaved work
by accidentally kicking the power cord out of an Apple ][.

There used to be a HW add-on for apple II's for people who accidentaly
hit the reset button located on the upper right of the keyboard.

I KICKED OUT THE POWER CORD.

I heard you the first time. I was relating an issue that other apple
II users had.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Maybe he'll learn the value of backups.
Never leave a file without a backup that you're not prepared to lose

forever.

In the early '80s, I _twice_ destroyed an hour's unsaved work by
accidentally kicking the power cord out of an Apple ][.

I learned my lesson. I save files every few minutes, and never walk away
from my computer without making sure that nothing is unsaved.

Ditto.

In the case of
Word, I have the "always create backup" option enabled.

Be warned - that option in Word is nowhere near as useful as it sounds.
Better to make your own backups by hand, because if you make the same
mistake as the OP, Word will cheerfully, automatically, overwrite the
good backup with the nuked version.

You'd be amazed at the number of otherwise-intelligent people who fail to do
these things.

*sigh*

No, I wouldn't be.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In the case of Word, I have the "always create backup"
option enabled.

Be warned -- that option in Word is nowhere near as
useful as it sounds.

Actually, what it means "Always create a full backup copy" -- as opposed to
a "difference" version. This reduces the chance of losing your work if
there's a crash.

A "true" backup is (at least) on another drive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:07:07 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
In the case of Word, I have the "always create backup"
option enabled.

Be warned -- that option in Word is nowhere near as
useful as it sounds.

Actually, what it means "Always create a full backup copy" -- as opposed to
a "difference" version. This reduces the chance of losing your work if
there's a crash.

A "true" backup is (at least) on another drive.

A true backup is not only on separate media, but is offsite preferably in
multiple locations.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

Good idea to save different dated draft versions then you can read them back
later to check for relevance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JB wrote:

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

I've done that from my Commodore 64 days, on.

Over deleted cshenk Home Repair 19 May 23rd 09 05:24 AM
Subject deleted. [email protected] UK diy 0 February 22nd 08 04:39 PM
YOU THOUGHT YOU DELETED THEM!!!FBI FORENSICS CAN FIND DELETED FILESfdbvvbmdfgfdgbm FBI Forensics Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 October 21st 07 01:42 PM
Panasonic DMR-E50 problem: "recover" root Electronics Repair 2 January 29th 04 10:45 PM