Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My dog died last night...damnit

Opie, my Aussie, my daily dog...went to work with me, went everywhere
with me..is shown on my various webpages, started roaming. Yesterday I
caught him a block away. He knew he had screwed up, so he ran for home
as soon as he saw me looking for him.

So I put him on a chain and went to bed

This morning I went out to bring him in, and he had managed to
strangle himself by trying to get between the fence and a support
structure, hooking the chain snap on the fence fabric, something no
other dog had ever tried to do

He evidently strangled to death slowly sometime in the night. The
choker collar so tight, he couldnt make a sound. In an almost sitting
upright position. It couldnt have been an easy death. And I was 20
feet away, and on the other side of a screen door, apparently when it
happened.

He was a year and 3 months old, damned good company, and a great
friend. Im gonna miss the **** out of him. He was just starting to
get all of his brain cells working together and turning into a great
dog.

Its going to be really really strange for a while, not having him
beside me all the time.

His cat, and his sister are laying next to him as I type this.

This is gonna be a rough time for a while

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

That's tough Mark and I'm so sorry.
Oppie was a trip.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My condolences Gunner. Good dogs are hard to part with.

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

My condolences, Mark.

I can tell from the way you talk about them that you love all your
'critters'.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

My deepest condolences in your loss buddy. It is like losing a child.
No words will heal, but help and you are in all our thoughts.

Live well friend,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:28:39 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Opie, my Aussie, my daily dog...went to work with me, went everywhere
with me..is shown on my various webpages, started roaming. Yesterday I
caught him a block away. He knew he had screwed up, so he ran for home
as soon as he saw me looking for him.

Sorry to hear the sad news Gunner. Back in 1986 our long time shepard
mix "Spicer" died on Wednesday, our daughter went back to college on
Friday and we took our son to college for his first year on Saturday.
My wife was an emotional wreck and I wan't far behind. We still miss
Spicer dearly all these years later.

Errol Groff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's always sad to lose someone you love. About the only thing worse is
sometimes the circumstances and the Monday morning quarterback review.

All dogs go to heaven. I'll bet he's staking out a good spot and waiting
for you in a cool shady place.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:46:10 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

It's always sad to lose someone you love. About the only thing worse is
sometimes the circumstances and the Monday morning quarterback review.

All dogs go to heaven. I'll bet he's staking out a good spot and waiting
for you in a cool shady place.

Steve

Yup. Just like that old _Twilight Zone_ episode.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It's always sad to lose someone you love. About the only thing worse is
sometimes the circumstances and the Monday morning quarterback review.

All dogs go to heaven. I'll bet he's staking out a good spot and waiting
for you in a cool shady place.

Steve

Yup. Just like that old _Twilight Zone_ episode.

I'll bet that Hawkie & Cliff would both go through the first gate.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My deepest condolences, Mark.

Our pets are like children. It's hard when we lose one.

Rex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 21, 11:28*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

My condolences as well. I have had to personally put down two of my
pets and it was like losing a family member.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I am really sorry to hear this. I know how close one can become to a
good dog. It took me several years to get over my Ranger. I had him
for a little over 16 years and I still catch myself calling my present
dog by his name, some eight years later. My condolences. Don't beat
yourself up too bad over it though. It was one of those things where
you thing you're doing the right thing to protect the dog but aome fluke
turns it into tragedy. There must have been a dog in heat somewhere in
the neighborhood. That's the only time Ranger would get out. May Opie
rest in peace.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 21, 12:28 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry to hear this, but am also hoping you mis-spoke and you
didn't have him on a chain connected to a choke collar.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner: Sorry as hell to hear this. Both Kathy and I remember Opie from
your sojurn doing up our lathe. Best thing that you can do is get another
dog. They add so much to life as partners as well as examples.

Stu and Kathy Fields

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Gunner,

Sorry for your loss.

R.I.P. Opie.

Take care.

Brian Lawson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Opie, my Aussie, my daily dog...went to work with me, went everywhere
with me..is shown on my various webpages, started roaming. Yesterday I
caught him a block away. He knew he had screwed up, so he ran for home
as soon as he saw me looking for him.

So I put him on a chain and went to bed

This morning I went out to bring him in, and he had managed to
strangle himself by trying to get between the fence and a support
structure, hooking the chain snap on the fence fabric, something no
other dog had ever tried to do

The only time I pretty much lost it was when I had to have my dog put down
due to cancer. I was glad that the family were away at the time.
I know how you feel and have my synpathy.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:28:39 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

My condolences, Gunner.

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sad news, Gunner.

I had a 40lb chocolate lab/dobie mix Maxthedog that rode with me every day
for seven years, his passing was ruf.
I took a day off and got lost on a mountain bike.
Therapy, yanno

I have a 20lb beagle/bisengi now.

I use a plain nylon collar for everyday, and only put the choker on when
walking on a lead.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

This is gonna be a rough time for a while

I can only offer my most sincere condolences, Gunner.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Opie, my Aussie, my daily dog...went to work with me, went everywhere
with me..is shown on my various webpages, started roaming. Yesterday I
caught him a block away. He knew he had screwed up, so he ran for home
as soon as he saw me looking for him.

I feel for you but man, you never use a choker on a dog you are not in immediate control
of.

Friend of mine had two Dobies strangle each other that way.

Wasn't just the dog that screwed up.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

Opie, my Aussie, my daily dog...went to work with me, went everywhere
with me..is shown on my various webpages, started roaming. Yesterday
I caught him a block away. He knew he had screwed up, so he ran for
home as soon as he saw me looking for him.

I feel for you but man, you never use a choker on a dog you are not
in immediate control of.

Friend of mine had two Dobies strangle each other that way.

Wasn't just the dog that screwed up.

I'm sure he knows that now.
What's your point squinting

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

I'm sure he knows that now.
What's your point squinting

John,

I've seen way too many people use choker chains on dogs that are tied up. In retrospect,
Gunner likely posted this as a warning to others but I didn't take it that way when I
first read it.

I read the first few replys in the thread and no one mentioned chokers are a no-no so I
posted my reply.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

I'm sure he knows that now.
What's your point squinting

John,

I've seen way too many people use choker chains on dogs that are tied
up. In retrospect, Gunner likely posted this as a warning to others
but I didn't take it that way when I first read it.

I read the first few replys in the thread and no one mentioned
chokers are a no-no so I posted my reply.

I posted this to another group Wes.
Some posters know Mark and knew his dog and others don't/didn't.
I happen to be one of the former.

Gunner spends most of his time on the road, away from home for days or even
weeks at a time. His crash pad is more than a little run down and all in all
it's a lonely and hard scrabble lifestyle. When he said Oppie was his "every
day" dog he didn't mean the dog he fed and walked daily. They were
inseperable from the minute they left Taft until their return and it would
be just the two of them pounding the asphalt here in LA trying to make a
buck and keep life together.

Life is tough and here in LA it isn't just tough. It's frequently mean.
Oppie took the edge off of that for Gunner as the two of them went about the
daily chore of scratching out a living.
Two goofy *******s out in the world on an adventure is a lot more fun than a
guy in his truck scratching for a buck.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance
in the rain.
Oppie was sort of Gunners dance partner.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the further explanation. I think you know I like Gunner, we are rather
sympatico on many views.

I sure has hell didn't wish to hurt a hurting man. I just blurted out what was on my
mind. I'm rather fond of dogs myself.

Sorry Gunner, if you are reading this thread. I do know how you feel. One day, I walked
my buddy out to the rural mailbox w/o leashing her. Dogs like to run, Mandy bolted on me
and ran at a pickup. Well you know the outcome of that one.

Just an old man and his granddaughter in the truck. The man got out stricken for hitting
and mortally wounding my dog. I'm in tears as I told the man it was my fault, not yours,
please get your kid out of here.

Years later after I married, my wife had the same experience with Bandit, a neglected dog
we took in. I wish I had told her about Mandy. She loved Bandit and she is a cat person.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John R. Carroll wrote:
Wes wrote:

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

John, that is one of the best posts I have read. You expressed my
sentiments regarding dogs in a way I would have never thought of. Thank
you. I'm sure Gunner appreciates it too.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:43:54 -0700, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

That was pretty nice John.

Much obliged.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 22, 3:30*pm, Wes wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
Opie, my Aussie, my daily dog...went to work with me, went everywhere
with me..is shown on my various webpages, started roaming. Yesterday I
caught him a block away. He knew he had screwed up, so he ran for home
as soon as he saw me looking for him.

I feel for you but man, you never use a choker on a dog you are not in immediate control
of.

Yeah.... Pretty sure he realizes that, people make mistakes.

Friend of mine had two Dobies strangle each other that way.
Wasn't just the dog that screwed up.

Cheeerist,
Once again.... I THINK he GETS it. He wouldn't have mentioned the WAY
it happened if HE didn't GET IT.

Wes

Gunner,
Don't know you but real sorry to hear about your dog.....

/FC....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes writes:

Friend of mine had two Dobies strangle each other that way.

Wasn't just the dog that screwed up.

The thing about accidents is that all of them involve a mistake
someplace, and almost all of them involve something you personally
could have done differently (yes, I'm speaking of a personal
experience I don't intend to elaborate on). It's really inappropriate
to bring that up at a time like this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 22, 2:28 am, Gunner Asch wrote:
Opie, my Aussie, my daily dog...went to work with me,

Its going to be really really strange for a while, not having him
beside me all the time.

This is gonna be a rough time for a while

Gunner

Mate, feel for ya - its the price we pay for loving someone, and dogs
have shorter lives than people so we go through it time and
again...and keep on doing it, cause a dog is, well, special.
get another pup, straight away, the other dog will grieve, so let her
educate a new pup, take her mind off it, teach the new pup the "way of
Gunners home..."

Now, cats - well, theres no shortages of cats, so I don't miss em when
they get killed - the real ******* ones manage to crawl home after
being injured and land you with a huge vets bill before they kark
it.....

No dog would do that.

ANdrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
Opie, my Aussie, my daily dog...

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I've had many dogs in my life, and it
always takes a long time to get over the loss of them no matter how it
happens.

I've heard similar stories twice before in my life.

Back when I was a kid, one of the neighbors had two basset hounds that
constantly played together. One day, the lower jaw of one dog got stuck in
the collar of the second dog. When they found them, the second dog had
choked to death.

The other story was a friend in college who had just gotten a new puppy.
They left it in the kitchen with the floor covered in newspapers because it
was still making a mess at night. They left a choke collar on the dog, and
he manged to get the ring hooked on one of the handles of the cabinets and
choked to death by the time they found him in the morning.

We try to take care of them, and do what we think is right, but still, ****
happens. These events always suck the most because they leave you thinking
that if only you had done something different it wouldn't have happened.
But all we can ever do is what we think is right, and then do our best to
move on when these things happen.

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/

My TV has died! Redwood UK diy 23 April 10th 08 10:22 AM
It's called SEARS, damnit - an important notice [email protected] Woodworking 25 March 10th 08 08:35 AM
Damnit This really Hurts [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 26th 06 12:38 AM
my cat died zero Home Repair 0 April 21st 06 05:59 AM
My Dan-Mig died Gunner Metalworking 4 February 2nd 05 05:39 PM