Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Heard a beautiful sound this morning

Out for a walk with the dog and the wife, two cropdusters
working the fields just outside of town. They were close
enough to each other and the ground that I could occasionally
hear the beat note between the two big radial engines.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 14, 4:37 am, Jim Stewart wrote:
Out for a walk with the dog and the wife, two cropdusters
working the fields just outside of town. They were close
enough to each other and the ground that I could occasionally
hear the beat note between the two big radial engines.

If you can get it, look for a DVD/Tape called "Marianna Goes
Shopping" (its a crap movie) but the first 20 mins have some fantastic
recordings of radial engined crop dusters - turn amplifier to LOUD.

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 13, 2:37*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Out for a walk with the dog and the wife, two cropdusters
working the fields just outside of town. *They were close
enough to each other and the ground that I could occasionally
hear the beat note between the two big radial engines.

Lovely sound, almost as nice as two Allisons.
(We don't have Merlins around here.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Aug 13, 2:37 pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Out for a walk with the dog and the wife, two cropdusters
working the fields just outside of town. They were close
enough to each other and the ground that I could occasionally
hear the beat note between the two big radial engines.

Lovely sound, almost as nice as two Allisons.
(We don't have Merlins around here.)

Or, go to Oshkosh during the airshow's formation flyovers.

There's something about 40+ warbirds in formation

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:53:49 GMT, "Jon"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Aug 13, 2:37 pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
Out for a walk with the dog and the wife, two cropdusters
working the fields just outside of town. They were close
enough to each other and the ground that I could occasionally
hear the beat note between the two big radial engines.

Lovely sound, almost as nice as two Allisons.
(We don't have Merlins around here.)

Or, go to Oshkosh during the airshow's formation flyovers.

There's something about 40+ warbirds in formation

I was running errands in town this morning and low n behold
there sat a P51 at exe-air. Holy crap what a sight-- I turned around
and had to check it out....

. Security wouldn't let me up close.but got a couple of pics with the
cellphone camera through the fence I'd luv to
get a ride in that thing.

Came by a halfhour later and the parking lot was full++
really drew a crowd fast. Across the runway is a slurry
bomber operation, been pretty quite so far this summer. ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 13, 11:37 am, Jim Stewart wrote:
Out for a walk with the dog and the wife, two cropdusters
working the fields just outside of town. They were close
enough to each other and the ground that I could occasionally
hear the beat note between the two big radial engines.

Only 2? Our favorite here in Redmond, Oregon, are the DC-7 fire
fighting planes. They run 4 18 cylinder engines and 4 bladed props.
They load up with retardant at the Forest Service depot and then try
to take off. They seem to gain 1,000 feet every 10 miles or so. What a
lovely sound!

Recently read they are being moved to a new facility at the Madras, OR
airport.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
ED wrote:

I was running errands in town this morning and low n behold
there sat a P51 at exe-air. Holy crap what a sight-- I turned around
and had to check it out....

. Security wouldn't let me up close.but got a couple of pics with the
cellphone camera through the fence I'd luv to
get a ride in that thing.

Came by a halfhour later and the parking lot was full++
really drew a crowd fast. Across the runway is a slurry
bomber operation, been pretty quite so far this summer. ED

Heard a vaguely familiar sound this afternoon, looked up and there she
was, a classic old biplane Ag-Cat at about 1000 feet! God, she was
beautiful! Two of the prettiest biplane wings in the world, that
humongous radial engine. She could probably lift a house if you could
find a way to attach it.

The last (only) one of those I saw close up was being ferried and
stopped at Steubenville Pier Airport for fuel and undoubtedly a serious
recoffee for the pilot. That thing is open cockpit and this was in late
Fall.

As he was landing, he hit a bad wind shear off the West end of the
runway. The plane dropped out of sight into the valley. We all figured
he'd crashed for sure, but there was this tremendous roar and that plane
rose up like it was on strings. Wherupon the pilot settled it onto the
runway and endured a far longer taxi than he needed a runout.

There's just something about the sound of a 450-horsepower radial
engine, applied suddenly and with serious intent.

What was it about Grumman? They could build some of the prettiest
airplanes in the world and some of the ugliest. But they all performed
their intended tasks well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:53:18 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

In article ,
ED wrote:

[...]

There's a air fire retardant base close by, with
my home directly under the flight path at times.

Back in the early 70's there were some ww2 war birds
flying slurry out, Avengers IIRC. Gawd they were slow,
lumbering beasts, they'd barely clear the fence
at the end of the runway.. But what
a sound those old radials made under full load, dc3
and 8's back then too

Neptune out of Missoula runs it now, all p2v's or orions,
7500hp radials + jet assist, rattleing the windows when they fly over.
Really fast with 3000 gallons onboard. Last summer it
was like a war zone for 2 months, every 10-15 minutes a load went out.
Had a couple of Italian skimmers based here too.

Haven't seen a biplane in years, all spraycoups or helo's these days.
ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

Out for a walk with the dog and the wife, two cropdusters
working the fields just outside of town. They were close
enough to each other and the ground that I could occasionally
hear the beat note between the two big radial engines.

Ah, a glorious sound. I've heard a few radial twins along the way but, two SEL radials
doing cropdusting in your listening area has to be a real treat.

Dog, Wife, walk, planes, you had a great day.

Wes

Teac AG-V3020 amp, output problems. no sound, popping, faint phono sound neilc Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 07 11:23 PM
RCM: The Morning After... cavelamb himself[_2_] Metalworking 40 August 22nd 07 05:26 AM
87 at 1 in the morning` mm Home Repair 1 July 10th 07 11:33 AM
No sound from TV & No sound menu (Aiwa TV model sx2150) [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 27th 06 05:44 AM
No pictuer, Buzzing sound from tv Panasonic TX-24A1 (sound started for short period now constant) John Bond Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 05 12:13 PM