Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Telescopic track for hoist?

Hi Folks,

I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will extend out of the
side opening of a van. I'm wondering if anyone might have a lead on such a
contraption or advice on how to accomplish this feat. I need to keep as
much headroom as possible so I have approximately 4 inches in height to work
with. Maximum weight capacity would be 400 lbs. I also need to be able to
extend the end of the track out of the van roughly 36" to 42". The trolley
for the hoist will need to travel the entire length of the track or rather
from the drivers side clear out the passenger side door.

So far I figure I either need to use nesting tube steel/aluminum with a "C"
cross section in order to have a trolley inside the inner tube, the outer
tube mounted to the van. Or I need to hang a trolley on an "I" beam that
is hanging from another "I" beam.

Any other ideas or specs on wall thickness, tube size, beam size would be
most welcome.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 10, 6:43*am, "croq" wrote:
Hi Folks,
I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will extend out of the
side opening of a van. *...

http://www.bruno.com/

Installation is fairly easy as long as you can find or make a strong
attachment point.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can nest (telescope) two pieces of square tubing, as is done in,
for example, a Harbor Freight "shop crane" aka "engine hoist". Drill
some holes for a holding pin. Add a wider flat on the bottom of both
parts so that you can have a trolley. In the case of those flats,
obviously, you would need to remove and insert the thinner tube with
every use, instead of telescoping.

In most cases, a winch and a set of ramps would work well also.

on 2008-08-10, croq wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6985" wrote in message
You can nest (telescope) two pieces of square tubing, as is done in,
for example, a Harbor Freight "shop crane" aka "engine hoist". Drill
some holes for a holding pin. Add a wider flat on the bottom of both
parts so that you can have a trolley. In the case of those flats,
obviously, you would need to remove and insert the thinner tube with
every use, instead of telescoping.

In most cases, a winch and a set of ramps would work well also.

I need to avoid a possible drop hazard so it must remain a unit. The
addition of a flat may come in handy as far as support for the cantilevered
piece.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"croq" wrote: I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will
extend out of the
side opening of a van. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You will also need a vertical support outside the van--otherwise, the weight
will make the van lean to that side. Such a support could be hinged to the
end of the track, or simply placed by hand each time the crane is used. It
could be as simple as a 2 x 4 and a scissor jack. It will also allow you to
use a lighter beam for the track, since you won't be using a cantilever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"croq" wrote: I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that
will extend out of the
side opening of a van. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You will also need a vertical support outside the van--otherwise, the
weight will make the van lean to that side. Such a support could be
hinged to the end of the track, or simply placed by hand each time the
crane is used. It could be as simple as a 2 x 4 and a scissor jack. It
will also allow you to use a lighter beam for the track, since you won't
be using a cantilever.

Thanks Leo, I can not have a support leg outside the van. I can imagine a
little lean but nothing unsafe for a full size GMC Savannah or Ford E350.
400 pounds is the outside maximum capacity this will ever see and odds are
it will never be over 200.

Thanks again

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"croq" wrote: (clip) I can imagine a
little lean but nothing unsafe for a full size GMC Savannah or Ford E350.
(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wasn't thinking of safety. I was thinking of a way to make the
construction lighter. But, you also need to consider that whatever lean
there is will make your extended track slope. You will have to plan on that
when you are moving your sister in her wheelchair into and out of the van.
(Not being critical--trying to be helpful.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"croq" wrote: (clip) I can imagine a
little lean but nothing unsafe for a full size GMC Savannah or Ford E350.
(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wasn't thinking of safety. I was thinking of a way to make the
construction lighter. But, you also need to consider that whatever lean
there is will make your extended track slope. You will have to plan on
that when you are moving your sister in her wheelchair into and out of the
van. (Not being critical--trying to be helpful.)

Thanks Leo,

I appreciate the help! I have to admit I knew I would have to watch where
I parked because of the tilt on the beam but it did not occur to me her
weight could cause the same problem. Tis why I like this group, all the
holes in an idea are soon found. As Larry had pointed out a damper would be
necessary, I thought a power extend/retract feature would be a great option.
After caring for her for 35 years I'm getting a little old and slow to keep
throwing my body between her and whatever harm is waiting to surprise us.
I need to start doing that work smarter verses harder idea I keep reading
about.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:40:07 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"croq" quickly quoth:

[...]

Yes, power movement is a great idea. It would overcome any tilt
problem, allowing you to pick her up from any angle.

Have you figured out a 4-point people-harness for her? You could set
it open in her wheelchair and drop her on it, then use it to lift her
into and out of the vehicle as needed. One other potential problem is
between a homemade medical lift and your insurance company.

After caring for her for 35 years I'm getting a little old and slow to keep
throwing my body between her and whatever harm is waiting to surprise us.
I need to start doing that work smarter verses harder idea I keep reading
about.

Definitely. It could save you an injury which would prevent you from
being able to care for her, too. You sound like much too good a
sibling to want that.

Which automotive seat will you be using?

BTW, please keep us informed. This is an interesting thread!

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"croq" wrote:

I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will extend out of the
side opening of a van. I'm wondering if anyone might have a lead on such a
contraption or advice on how to accomplish this feat. I need to keep as
much headroom as possible so I have approximately 4 inches in height to work
with. Maximum weight capacity would be 400 lbs.

IIRC there are some drawer slides that can handle heavy loads

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"croq" wrote:

I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will extend out of
the
side opening of a van. I'm wondering if anyone might have a lead on such
contraption or advice on how to accomplish this feat. I need to keep as
much headroom as possible so I have approximately 4 inches in height to
work
with. Maximum weight capacity would be 400 lbs.

IIRC there are some drawer slides that can handle heavy loads

Thanks Nick I'll check into those.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"croq" wrote in message

[...]

You mean one of these?
http://www.publiquip.com/photo/JCB-3CX-Backhoe-K.jpg

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"croq" wrote in message
[...]

Had not thought of alternative uses at this point Bob however I like the
idea. Actually this device will be used to transfer my wheelchair
bound sister. Ironically, she can not travel in the wheelchair.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:15:04 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"croq" quickly quoth:

"croq" wrote in message
[...]

I can hear your sister now..."What's all this grease on the floor and
greasy fingerprints all over my lift, hmmm?" g

See www.Accuride.com for their #9301 slides. You'll likely need some
sort of damper for them, either air or hydraulic, for safety.
They're $160-$350 a pair, depending on size and where you buy them.
Shop around.

Will you be transferring her to a mobile bed in the van, or regular
vehicular seats?

--
Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.
-- John Patrick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"croq" wrote in message
[...]

Hey Larry, Unless I can find a safe way of strapping her into a bed we'll
be transferring to an upgraded automotive reclining seat.

13" TV - telescopic antenna for VHF Pszemol Electronics Repair 2 August 31st 06 02:27 AM
draper telescopic pruner Connor T UK diy 0 October 4th 05 06:38 PM
Telescopic TV? r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 14 July 21st 05 11:01 AM
Telescopic antenna repair GT Electronics Repair 1 January 22nd 04 10:50 PM
telescopic tubing Vittorio Metalworking 3 September 15th 03 04:41 PM