Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
croq croq is offline

Default Telescopic track for hoist?

Hi Folks,

I have a need to build a track for a cable hoist that will extend out of the
side opening of a van. I'm wondering if anyone might have a lead on such a
contraption or advice on how to accomplish this feat. I need to keep as
much headroom as possible so I have approximately 4 inches in height to work
with. Maximum weight capacity would be 400 lbs. I also need to be able to
extend the end of the track out of the van roughly 36" to 42". The trolley
for the hoist will need to travel the entire length of the track or rather
from the drivers side clear out the passenger side door.

So far I figure I either need to use nesting tube steel/aluminum with a "C"
cross section in order to have a trolley inside the inner tube, the outer
tube mounted to the van. Or I need to hang a trolley on an "I" beam that
is hanging from another "I" beam.

Any other ideas or specs on wall thickness, tube size, beam size would be
most welcome.

Thanks!