Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Checkering file?

Pictures are he

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_01.jp
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_02.jp
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_03.jp

I inherited this tool from my father and I've been referring to it as a
"checkering file," although that might not be the correct name. The
tools is about 10 inches long, .5 inches square, with eight different
cutting faces, each one containing a differently spaced set of parallel
teeth. Great for evenly spaced crosshatching or serrated grips, and is
clearly intended for metalworking.

It was already pretty dull when I got it years ago, but now it is
positively useless and I want to do one of two things:

1. Replace it with a similar quality tool, but I don't know the correct
name, the manufacturer doesn't seem to exist any more, and I must be
using the wrong search terms at MSC and McMaster because nothing like
it shows up in their inventory. Brownell's carries checkering files but
they are nothing like this beast.

or

2. Sharpen the existing tool, if there's a way.

Can any of the knowledgeable people in this ng help me with either of
those two options?

Many thanks, as usual.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Frank Warner wrote:
[...]

The images did not load for me, but search for "thread restoring files"

MikeB
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Frank Warner
wrote:

Pictures are he

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_01.jp
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_02.jp
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_03.jp

Try these links:

http://tinyurl.com/5rzvm5
http://tinyurl.com/6hev62
http://tinyurl.com/6buj64

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , bq340 wrote:

Frank Warner wrote:
[...]

Meanwhile, I'll try your suggestion. It sounds just right for the work
my father did.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Frank Warner" wrote in message
. ..
Pictures are he

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_01.jp
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_02.jp
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ing_file_03.jp

I inherited this tool from my father and I've been referring to it as a
"checkering file," although that might not be the correct name. The
tools is about 10 inches long, .5 inches square, with eight different
cutting faces, each one containing a differently spaced set of parallel
teeth. Great for evenly spaced crosshatching or serrated grips, and is
clearly intended for metalworking.

Thread chaser; more accurately, a "thread restoring file." It's made for
repairing buggered threads on a bolt or stud.

There are many different types of tools called "thread chasers," some of
which actually are machinists' tools. This is a basic one used by mechanics,
not machinists.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Frank Warner
wrote:

In article , bq340 wrote:

Frank Warner wrote:
[...]

Yep. That's it. Here's one here, cheaper than I thought, too:

http://www.tools-plus.com/k-d-2249.html

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 12:50*pm, bq340 wrote:

The images did not load for me, but search for "thread restoring files"

MikeB

I had to type in the final 'g', then they loaded.

They are useless for cutting checkering when new. All they cut is rust
and dirt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Thread chaser; more accurately, a "thread restoring file." It's made for
repairing buggered threads on a bolt or stud.

Or in my case, cleaning the excess silver braze from a detail that I repaired across a
thread break. That repair lasted a few months and broke again. The next time I picked up
the thread in a lathe and single pointed the braze out the thread.

Funny how get it working until morning repairs tend to get relied on a lot longer than to
the next morning.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
message ...

There are many different types of tools called
"thread chasers," some of which actually are
machinists' tools. This is a basic one used by
mechanics, not machinists.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually works pretty well to smooth a single
point thread in the lathe. I've also used it to
re-thread Victor torch rosebud tubes---they are
27 TPI. Set it up and single point
a 28 thread, then cheat it to 27 with the thread
file.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"BillM" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

There are many different types of tools called "thread chasers," some of
which actually are machinists' tools. This is a basic one used by
mechanics, not machinists.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually works pretty well to smooth a single point thread in the lathe.
I've also used it to
re-thread Victor torch rosebud tubes---they are 27 TPI. Set it up and
single point
a 28 thread, then cheat it to 27 with the thread file.

Bill

I don't doubt it. I know a guy who makes the cutting tools for his Unimat
out of piano wire, too. g

I had a horrible experience with one of those thread "restorers" many years
ago. I was 17, and I was trying to repair a front-wheel spindle on my
Corvair, after an aborted attempt to install short steering arms. I wrecked
it, and it cost me a week's salary to get it replaced.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:36:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"BillM" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

There are many different types of tools called "thread chasers," some of
which actually are machinists' tools. This is a basic one used by
mechanics, not machinists.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually works pretty well to smooth a single point thread in the lathe.
I've also used it to
re-thread Victor torch rosebud tubes---they are 27 TPI. Set it up and
single point
a 28 thread, then cheat it to 27 with the thread file.

Bill

I don't doubt it. I know a guy who makes the cutting tools for his Unimat
out of piano wire, too. g

I use concrete nails

I had a horrible experience with one of those thread "restorers" many years
ago. I was 17, and I was trying to repair a front-wheel spindle on my
Corvair, after an aborted attempt to install short steering arms. I wrecked
it, and it cost me a week's salary to get it replaced.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"BillM" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

There are many different types of tools called "thread chasers," some
of
which actually are machinists' tools. This is a basic one used by
mechanics, not machinists.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually works pretty well to smooth a single point thread in the lathe.
I've also used it to
re-thread Victor torch rosebud tubes---they are 27 TPI. Set it up and
single point
a 28 thread, then cheat it to 27 with the thread file.

Bill

I don't doubt it. I know a guy who makes the cutting tools for his Unimat
out of piano wire, too. g

I use concrete nails

Now, damn, that's feeding all the way on the bottom, Gerry. Jeez, why don't
you just do your roughing with an angle-head grinder, holding the work in a
hand brace? g

--
Ed Huntress

Need crack file??? kaki Home Repair 0 February 17th 08 07:03 AM
file set from HF? Alex Metalworking 3 December 30th 05 10:54 PM
getting the pcb from a pdf file Christian Zinner Electronics Repair 6 April 5th 04 09:59 AM
Wood checkering Kits with instructions Ed Erbeck Jr. Woodworking 2 February 4th 04 08:15 PM