Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Default file set from HF?

Guys,

did anyone tried files from Harbor Freight?
Are they any good?

Alex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Alex wrote:

Guys,

did anyone tried files from Harbor Freight?
Are they any good?

Alex

Although I haven't specifically used the files from HF, files and most
cutting tools are FAR better when you purchase a quality brand (usually
but not always US made). A file will tend to last nearly a lifetime of
casual use if it's good to begin with. Buy quality once, and it'll be a
joy to use forever.

I have, by the way, used China and Taiwan files in the past...an order
of magnitude worse than a good (old) Nicholson made in the USA. I can't
specifically speak to the current crop of either though.

On a similar note, I was amazed that sandpaper has the same difference.
Ignoring the generic crap, even branded stuff at the homeowner hell
shop can't come close to good commercial paper. Klingspor sels roll
ends like the bargain boxes listed at
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...%20ALL%20TYPES

It was like night and day to use the quality commercial stuff vs what
one can generally buy off the shelf locally.

With files, drill bits, sandpaper, and other similar tools, cheaper
seems more important than time when purchasing. However, the
aggrivation factor from poor cutting tools will make saving a couple of
bucks far from worth it in the long run.

Koz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rashid111

Got them ,love them. 3-sq, round, half-round. Ones I got
were $1.99 with a wooden handle, dunnon about ones with
plastic red handle.

I file blue steel for accordion reeds and it IS TOUGH at RC50.
The HF files have plenty of bite for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Art

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:07:12 -0800, Koz
wrote:

Alex wrote:

.... stuff deleted...

On a similar note, I was amazed that sandpaper has the same difference.
Ignoring the generic crap, even branded stuff at the homeowner hell
shop can't come close to good commercial paper. Klingspor sels roll
ends like the bargain boxes listed at
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...%20ALL%20TYPES

It was like night and day to use the quality commercial stuff vs what
one can generally buy off the shelf locally.

So true. I made the mistake of buying some chi-com sheets and shop
rolls. It is so bad I wont even get it away. Really terrible
abrasive. No more cheap abrasives for me.

As far as the HF files, I actually have a set in my shop. Id say they
were worth the $3 the set of 5 cost, though I dont use them all that
often.

With files, drill bits, sandpaper, and other similar tools, cheaper
seems more important than time when purchasing. However, the
aggrivation factor from poor cutting tools will make saving a couple of
bucks far from worth it in the long run.

This is especially true of taps and dies!!

Koz