Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default AC power color coding in Japan?

I'm putting a new end on a single phase AC cord for a Japanese
instrument (yes, I have the 100v supply)
The colors are red, black and white.
Which is live and which is ground? Does anybody know?

Thanks,
-Matt

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Matthew Karam wrote:
I'm putting a new end on a single phase AC cord for a Japanese
instrument (yes, I have the 100v supply)
The colors are red, black and white.
Which is live and which is ground? Does anybody know?
Thanks,
-Matt

Google knows....

jak

Well, hush my mouth! You're right in that the particular colors you've
encountered, do not fit anybody's standard. The Japanese (now, at
least), use the American standard of Black (hot), White (neutral) and
Green (ground or earth). One reference noted the hot might be Red or
Blue instead of Black; but nothing matches your scheme.

I think the only obvious answer (without a schematic) would be to crack
open that instrument and trace it out. FWIW, the ground will be
connected to the equipment case and the hot will likely be the switched
line.

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Matthew Karam wrote:
[...]

Bugger me! surely you would grab a meter and check it out anyway ??

Rheilly P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Matthew Karam" wrote in message
I'm putting a new end on a single phase AC cord for a Japanese
instrument (yes, I have the 100v supply)
The colors are red, black and white.
Which is live and which is ground? Does anybody know?

Thanks,
-Matt

Ground should be connected to the equipment casing. Live should go to the
mains fuse and mains switch.

With the mains switch on, you should be able to read the low resistance
mains transformer primary coil between live and neutral.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

Matthew Karam wrote:
[...]

What kind of Japanese equipment has a 3 prong connection on it? They don't
use the same 3 connector NEMA connector we use in America they use the older
2 prong connector that was used in the USA in the 1960's. The only thing I
saw in japan with a ground was a washing machine and it had a seperate wire
that had to be attached to a screw on the outlet.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message
. ..

Matthew Karam wrote:
[...]

I don't know, not having been to Japan or dealt with any original spec
Japanese gear. The sources I googled spec normal IEC connectors on
equipment end--with grounded Edison (NEMA) plugs on the other--and make
no distinction between US and Japanese standards in color or configuration.

I can pull them up again if you care to look--or google....

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's a mag-lev turbo pump controller. The cord is intended to go into
a separate Japanese power supply which is connected to a 3-phase, 60A
rack of things I don't want to use.

On May 28, 11:18 am, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message

. ..

Matthew Karam wrote:
[...]

IR remote control coding query N_Cook Electronics Repair 1 April 11th 08 07:18 PM
Zener diode color coding Leonard Caillouet Electronics Repair 3 September 19th 06 02:50 PM
ROT13 coding Krunchy Woodworking 1 February 25th 05 11:47 PM
Not color coded power sup barry martin Home Repair 1 June 5th 04 05:35 PM
colour coding for 2 way light switches Broadback UK diy 7 March 25th 04 11:03 PM