barry martin

Default Not color coded power sup

Robin:

R I recently purchased a new dishwasher. My old one was bought late
R 80's.
R When I replaced the dishwasher, I forgot to mark the old power supply
R cord wires, which one was black(hot)and which one was white(neutral).
R They are not color coded but one has covered with grooved(?) gray
R rubber skin and the other one is just smooth.

I remember it as "wibbed iz white" (ribbed is white). To go further,
"wibbed iz whit iz wide" == the wider blade on the plug is the white
one.

A way to doublesheck is to take a voltmeter with one lead to the cold
water pipe (assuming copper pipe all the way) and the other to the
electric supply. One will read 120v or so, the other zero or near
zero. Could also use a test lamp.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Definition: Holstein -- an entire beer mug
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
I-zheet M'drurz

barry martin wrote:

(on polarized line cords)

I remember it as "wibbed iz white" (ribbed is white). To go
further, "wibbed iz whit iz wide" == the wider blade on the
plug is the white one.

But (I don't know the answer, not a rhetorical question!) is it
*always* that way??? Is it an industry wide convention to mark
polarized cords that way??

As an aside to your white/wide, I use a foolproof (for me,
anyway) way of remembering that "little"="hot". It's a long
story, but it works every time.

Now if I could only come up with a way to remember how to
sort out red/green/tip/ring/black/yellow/orange/or-white/
blue/bl-white etc etc etc.

--
Ha'i D-suhlami
filling in for I-zheet M'drurz