Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

Default Can HP 3050 Printer/Copy/Scanner do OCR ?

In our office they've got this HP Laser Jet 3050 Printer/Copy/Scanner,
but without a manual. Since it's got a USB connector, I guess that's
for the scanner input to a computer.

I once used some HP software for OCR, so I'm guessing that HP
provides software for/with its HP 3050 machine ?

Or am I wasting my time ?

== TIA.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

problems@gmail wrote in :

In our office they've got this HP Laser Jet 3050 Printer/Copy/Scanner,
but without a manual. Since it's got a USB connector, I guess that's
for the scanner input to a computer.

I once used some HP software for OCR, so I'm guessing that HP
provides software for/with its HP 3050 machine ?

Or am I wasting my time ?

== TIA.

Log on to the following HP support site:

http://www.hp.com/#Support

.......do your own search or use the following TinyURL reference to go
directly to the relevent web page concerning your unit:

http://tinyurl.com/5s8rbp

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment
Luc Luc is offline

The USB connector operates the entire HP printer. The software for the
unit is available from www.hp.com

On Fri, 16 May 2008 05:18:44 GMT, propman wrote:

problems@gmail wrote in :

In our office they've got this HP Laser Jet 3050 Printer/Copy/Scanner,
but without a manual. Since it's got a USB connector, I guess that's
for the scanner input to a computer.

I once used some HP software for OCR, so I'm guessing that HP
provides software for/with its HP 3050 machine ?

Or am I wasting my time ?

== TIA.

Log on to the following HP support site:

http://www.hp.com/#Support

......do your own search or use the following TinyURL reference to go
directly to the relevent web page concerning your unit:

http://tinyurl.com/5s8rbp

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment

On Thu, 15 May 2008 23:43:04 -0500, problems@gmail wrote:

In our office they've got this HP Laser Jet 3050 Printer/Copy/Scanner,
but without a manual. Since it's got a USB connector, I guess that's
for the scanner input to a computer.

Nope. The USB port runs everything on the printer.

I once used some HP software for OCR, so I'm guessing that HP
provides software for/with its HP 3050 machine ?

Good guess. See the specs for the 3050 at:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/18972-18972-3328064-12004-3328082-1140783.html
which includes:
"Readiris PRO text recognition software (not installed with other
software, separate installation required)..."
http://www.irislink.com/c2-532-189/O...duct-list.aspx
I have several customers with this particular printer. My not so
humble opinion of the Java based fax/print/monitor software is that
it's dog slow, kinda flakey, and drove me nuts under Windoze 2000.
However, when they upgraded to Windoze XP and faster machines, things
stabilized nicely. I vaguely recall that the above OCR software was
on a seperate CD that came in the box or required a download. It's
probably NOT on the original install CD. They didn't need OCR so it
was never installed. Look around and see if you can find the CD's and
instructions.

Or am I wasting my time ?

Nope. You're wasting mine.

--