Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Default Is this camera hopelessly broken???

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

Might be a loose cable, bad solder joint, that kinda thing, digital cameras
are a real pain to work on in my limited experience with them.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Ray Ray is offline

I had a similar problem with a Canon, I eventually figured out that even
tho the battery charger said the batteries were fully charged, only 2 of
the 4 AA cells were charged, as somehow the charger had been switched to 2
cell mode. I hadnt paid attention, and wasnt even aware there was a 2 cell
mode.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-21, James Sweet wrote:

"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

Might be a loose cable, bad solder joint, that kinda thing, digital cameras
are a real pain to work on in my limited experience with them.

You see, if the camera fully lost power, it would just turn
off. Instead, it performs a full shutdown, retracts the lens, etc.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

Might be a loose cable, bad solder joint, that kinda thing, digital cameras
are a real pain to work on in my limited experience with them.

Yeah.

Does it do the same thing with an AC adapter (assuming it accepts one)?

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-21, James Sweet wrote:

[...]

I didn't say anything about it fully losing power. A bad connection
somewhere can cause any number of weird symptoms, it may be incorectly
detecting low battery, or thinking the power button has been pressed, or
some other fault condition.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Not sure if you want to spend money on it, but Fuji in the UK refurbish
their digital cameras for a very reasonable fixed price and they slap a 1
year warranty on it as well; not sure if Fuji USA offer the same service but
it wouldn't hurt to call.
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-21, Ray wrote:
I had a similar problem with a Canon, I eventually figured out that even
tho the battery charger said the batteries were fully charged, only 2 of
the 4 AA cells were charged, as somehow the charger had been switched to 2
cell mode. I hadnt paid attention, and wasnt even aware there was a 2 cell
mode.

I will check my batteries with a multimeter tonight. It is a good
explanation, but it occurred even when I bought regular batteries. But
I will try to fully exclude this possibility.

"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-21, Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"James Sweet" writes:

"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

Might be a loose cable, bad solder joint, that kinda thing, digital cameras
are a real pain to work on in my limited experience with them.

Yeah.

Does it do the same thing with an AC adapter (assuming it accepts one)?

Tis is a damn good question! I will try tonight.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-21, Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Martin Whybrow wrote:

Not sure if you want to spend money on it, but Fuji in the UK
refurbish their digital cameras for a very reasonable fixed price and
they slap a 1 year warranty on it as well; not sure if Fuji USA offer
the same service but it wouldn't hurt to call.
Martin

Just get a Nikon D3 and be done with it. I love mine.

I use it mostly for ebay, to take pictures of crude dirty machinery, I
think that it is too expensive for it. I want something under $1k.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Ignoramus4289 wrote:

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

Does this camera have a separate door over the memory card, and does
opening that door when the camera is on cause an immediate shutdown? If
so, perhaps the switch or related mechanism of that door is giving
trouble.

You might try searching and/or posting a query in the FujiFilm talk
forum at dpreview (www.dpreview.com) to see if anybody else has similar
experience there. A couple of the regulars and semi-regulars are pretty
knowledgeable about such things, and could at least give some guidance
on how to go about disassembling the camera should you decide to take a
peek at things.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-21, Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Martin Whybrow wrote:

Not sure if you want to spend money on it, but Fuji in the UK
refurbish their digital cameras for a very reasonable fixed price and
they slap a 1 year warranty on it as well; not sure if Fuji USA offer
the same service but it wouldn't hurt to call.
Martin

Just get a Nikon D3 and be done with it. I love mine.

I use it mostly for ebay, to take pictures of crude dirty machinery, I
think that it is too expensive for it. I want something under $1k.

If that's all you need it for, you ought to be able to pick up a good used 2
megapixel camera for next to nothing these days. I still use a Canon S100 I
bought years ago, surprising thing is I still get compliments on pictures
I've taken with it. It's not high end, that's for sure, but even years later
it makes a good basic camera.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-22, Andrew Erickson wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus4289 wrote:

I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

Does this camera have a separate door over the memory card, and does
opening that door when the camera is on cause an immediate shutdown? If
so, perhaps the switch or related mechanism of that door is giving
trouble.

Andrew, this explanation is the most consistent with what I have
experienced.

You might try searching and/or posting a query in the FujiFilm talk
forum at dpreview (www.dpreview.com) to see if anybody else has similar
experience there. A couple of the regulars and semi-regulars are pretty
knowledgeable about such things, and could at least give some guidance
on how to go about disassembling the camera should you decide to take a
peek at things.

OK. Thanks. I put the kids to bed, so I can go and look now.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Thanks to all. I spent quite a bit of time with this camera. I am now
positive that the cause is mechanical in nature. This camera indeed
has a feature that turns it off if the lid of the memory compartment
is opened. Even very slight touching of that lid, causes Ӂԁȁ Á́Łthe
camera to shut down.

The switch is inside the camera body and is activated by a little
"finger" on the lid that goes into the hole to push the top of the
switch.

Now that I have established the cause, with some certainty, we can
think of the best way to fix that.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Ignoramus4289 wrote:
Thanks to all. I spent quite a bit of time with this camera. I am now
positive that the cause is mechanical in nature. This camera indeed
has a feature that turns it off if the lid of the memory compartment
is opened. Even very slight touching of that lid, causes Ӂԁȁ Á́Łthe
camera to shut down.

The switch is inside the camera body and is activated by a little
"finger" on the lid that goes into the hole to push the top of the
switch.

Now that I have established the cause, with some certainty, we can
think of the best way to fix that.

Could you use a small pointy object to depress that switch and fire off
a few test shots?

One other thing to check: dirty or corroded battery contacts. Good way
to clean them is with a pencil eraser - just grab any standard pencil
(good for reaching into the battery compartment) and give all the
contacts a quick scrub with the eraser.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message
Thanks to all. I spent quite a bit of time with this camera. I am now
positive that the cause is mechanical in nature. This camera indeed
has a feature that turns it off if the lid of the memory compartment
is opened. Even very slight touching of that lid, causes Ӂԁȁ
Á́Łthe
camera to shut down.

The switch is inside the camera body and is activated by a little
"finger" on the lid that goes into the hole to push the top of the
switch.

Now that I have established the cause, with some certainty, we can
think of the best way to fix that.

If you can get to the board, solder a jumper across the switch. Don't pull
the memory card out while the camera is on, not too hard to remember that.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Ignoramus4289 wrote:
I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

It could be that the auto-shutoff setting has been inadvertently
shorted. Have you checked this setting? Some people take a long time
setting up between shots, and if the camera has a timer that can be set
to shut off at a shorter interval, this might be the problem. It also
may be that an element in that circuit (usually an RC circuit) has
changed values to shorten the time.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:
"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message
I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

Might be a loose cable, bad solder joint, that kinda thing, digital cameras
are a real pain to work on in my limited experience with them.

Your limited experience shows.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
James Sweet wrote:
"Ignoramus4289" wrote in message
I have a Fuji Finepix 602 camera. I took maybe 10k photos with it.

It started malfunctioning in the following way: very often it shuts
down, as if the batteries were bad, except that it does it even with
newly charged batteries and even new non-rechargeable batteries.

I have not been able to find a pattern and can only make a few shots
before it shuts down. I can power it right back up and make a few more
shots, repeating the cycle.

Any ideas? Is it headed for the dumpster or can I do something for
it?

Might be a loose cable, bad solder joint, that kinda thing, digital
cameras are a real pain to work on in my limited experience with them.

Your limited experience shows.

Apparently this is crosposted to rec.photo.digital. James is an established
tech over here at sci.electronics.repair. Don't knock him. He's a nice guy,
he knows his stuff and doesn't ramble on about things he doesn't know,
unlike some people.

- Mike

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-22, Matt Ion wrote:
Ignoramus4289 wrote:
Thanks to all. I spent quite a bit of time with this camera. I am now
positive that the cause is mechanical in nature. This camera indeed
has a feature that turns it off if the lid of the memory compartment
is opened. Even very slight touching of that lid, causes Ӂԁȁ Á́Łthe
camera to shut down.

The switch is inside the camera body and is activated by a little
"finger" on the lid that goes into the hole to push the top of the
switch.

Now that I have established the cause, with some certainty, we can
think of the best way to fix that.

Could you use a small pointy object to depress that switch and fire off
a few test shots?

Yes, it works fine like that. I think that it is just a minor wear
issue -- but it is not clear how to fix it.

One other thing to check: dirty or corroded battery contacts. Good
way to clean them is with a pencil eraser - just grab any standard
pencil (good for reaching into the battery compartment) and give all
the contacts a quick scrub with the eraser.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Ignoramus4930 wrote in
:

On 2008-04-22, Matt Ion wrote:
Ignoramus4289 wrote:
Thanks to all. I spent quite a bit of time with this camera. I am
now positive that the cause is mechanical in nature. This camera
indeed has a feature that turns it off if the lid of the memory
compartment is opened. Even very slight touching of that lid, causes
Ӂԁȁ Á́Łthe camera to shut down.

The switch is inside the camera body and is activated by a little
"finger" on the lid that goes into the hole to push the top of the
switch.

Now that I have established the cause, with some certainty, we can
think of the best way to fix that.

Could you use a small pointy object to depress that switch and fire
off a few test shots?

Yes, it works fine like that. I think that it is just a minor wear
issue -- but it is not clear how to fix it.

Perhaps a drop of epoxy on the lid's "finger" to make it slightly
longer,and push better on the switch?

Also,some of those tiny PB switches get intermittent,maybe a drop of
contact cleaner might help.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-22, Jim Yanik wrote:
Ignoramus4930 wrote in
:

On 2008-04-22, Matt Ion wrote:
Ignoramus4289 wrote:
[...]

If that epoxy would stick, which I doubt, I would do it.

I was thinking of taking a little poly string, burning it, and using a
little glob of that molten string.

Also,some of those tiny PB switches get intermittent,maybe a drop of
contact cleaner might help.

It is not really accessible, without disassembling the camera.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-22, Jim Yanik wrote:
Ignoramus4930 wrote in
:

On 2008-04-22, Matt Ion wrote:
Ignoramus4289 wrote:
[...]

Pick up some Plastic Fusion epoxy, it smells worse than any glue I've ever
used, but it works great on plastic.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Ignoramus4930 wrote:

If that epoxy would stick, which I doubt, I would do it.

I was thinking of taking a little poly string, burning it, and using a
little glob of that molten string.

Devcon sells a two-part "Plastic welder" cement, which consists of a
two-part adhesive plus some rather nasty-smelling-and-come-with-
warnings-to-use-only-in-good-ventilation solvents. It's mixed and
applied like epoxy, but is supposed to bond better to most plastics
than a standard epoxy will... I believe that the solvents will
temporarily un-bind the structure of the existing plastic surface and
allow the adhesive to "grab" onto it better. I've used it to repair
broken pushbutton-switch caps, and it has held up pretty well.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus4930 wrote:

If that epoxy would stick, which I doubt, I would do it.

I was thinking of taking a little poly string, burning it, and using a
little glob of that molten string.

Devcon sells a two-part "Plastic welder" cement, which consists of a
two-part adhesive plus some rather nasty-smelling-and-come-with-
warnings-to-use-only-in-good-ventilation solvents. It's mixed and
applied like epoxy, but is supposed to bond better to most plastics
than a standard epoxy will... I believe that the solvents will
temporarily un-bind the structure of the existing plastic surface and
allow the adhesive to "grab" onto it better. I've used it to repair
broken pushbutton-switch caps, and it has held up pretty well.

I've used it to patch a plastic fuel tank in a car that got melted(!) by a
misaligned exhaust pipe and it worked well for that, it's pretty good stuff.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-22, James Sweet wrote:

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus4930 wrote:

If that epoxy would stick, which I doubt, I would do it.

I was thinking of taking a little poly string, burning it, and using a
little glob of that molten string.

Devcon sells a two-part "Plastic welder" cement, which consists of a
two-part adhesive plus some rather nasty-smelling-and-come-with-
warnings-to-use-only-in-good-ventilation solvents. It's mixed and
applied like epoxy, but is supposed to bond better to most plastics
than a standard epoxy will... I believe that the solvents will
temporarily un-bind the structure of the existing plastic surface and
allow the adhesive to "grab" onto it better. I've used it to repair
broken pushbutton-switch caps, and it has held up pretty well.

I've used it to patch a plastic fuel tank in a car that got melted(!) by a
misaligned exhaust pipe and it worked well for that, it's pretty good stuff.

I will give it a try.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

On 2008-04-22, James Sweet wrote:

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus4930 wrote:

[...]

Aren't we talking about a plastic 'tit' less than a millimeter long?
Seems hardly worth buying and mixing up a batch of epoxy. Probably a
quick 'touch' with a soldering iron, followed by a quick withdrawal,
would be enough to stretch it out enough. Otherwise, I'd do as one
poster said, melt some new plastic on the tit and file to fit.

One last idea: if both sides are accessible, drill it out and replace
with a tiny screw...adjustable.

jak
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
James Sweet wrote:
[...]

Digital cameras, internally, are quite similar to many other electronic
products. They are very small, and the internal parts are thus rather
difficult to access, and any repair is best left up to people with the
proper tools, and knowledge. The comment appeared to imply that they
were difficult to use, which isn't true, and my comment was addressed to
that issue, which I misinterpreted. As in just about any product,
electronic or not, things can, and do, break, deteriorate, or suffer
from misuse, and/or abuse. Again, I misread 'on' as 'with'. Too early
in the morning, I guess.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

In message , jakdedert
writes

Aren't we talking about a plastic 'tit' less than a millimeter long?

Nope. I've got a 602Z (working OK). I checked its functionality -- when
it is powered up, opening the door at the right-hand-side that covers
the slots for the CF card and the SM card causes the camera to retract
its lens and shut down. This is to prevent someone from trying to swap
out the CF/SM card while it is powered up. This feature is actually
mentioned on page 14 of the camera's manual (see below for details).

There's a plastic peg about 10mm long fixed near the bottom of the door
pointing inwards. As the door closes, the tip of this peg goes into a
square hole in the body. At the bottom of that hole is a detector push
switch that tells the camera whether the door is open or not.

It's possible the peg's tip has got worn or broken and doesn't reach
down into the hole as far as it should. The other alternative is that
the switch is intermittent and a slight jolt is enough to set it off and
cause the camera to power down.

Here's a link to a scan of the manual page dealing with this switch.
I've highlighted the peg location and switch hole on the door diagram to
help you locate them.

http://tinyurl.com/59e8hr

A couple of suggestions -- cut some very small pieces of adhesive tape
and put them into the switch hole to pad it out, and see if that will
make the problem go away. Check the condition of the peg I mentioned and
see if it's as long as I mentioned (10mm). If it's not, or it looks worn
or broken then try adding a little epoxy to it and file it down till
it's the right size.

If that doesn't help then it's probably a switch fault and it may
require more effort to repair, although spraying some switch cleaner
into the hole might help, or blowing it out with canned air. Good luck!
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon