Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Nokia Monitor Problem

I have a 1995 vintage Nokia Multigraph 445X 21-inch monitor that has
recently begun to act up in a strange and mysterious way.
Specifically, there are strange high-pitched whines and clicking
sounds whenever the display is moving from one screen to another (as
during start up and shut down), but not during the time when a screen
type is being displayed (DOS-like or Windows 98SE). In fact, as I am
typing this post in Windows, the monitor is fine and solid, and
likewise would be if I was in MS-DOS mode. The problem is especially
prevalent when I start up since there are several transitions between
screen shots of the initial BIOS messages, SATA RAID controller scan,
SCSI controller scan, and AVG boot up scan. What I find really weird
is that the problem only occurs during these transitions. I have
contacted ViewSonic (who took over the Nokia monitor line), but I have
not had a response from them yet. Is there anyone out there who could
give me an idea what could cause such a vexing problem? I have
otherwise been very satisfied with the monitor (especially with its
professional-level video quality) and would like to keep it going.
Any help here would be very much appreciated, since I fear that I am
just continuing to damage the monitor by subjecting it to these
annoying cycles of noise...

Thanks in advance,
drchaos
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

The clicking sounds are the relays changing the scan settings. The high
pitched whine could be the scan transformer or coils being swept
through the frequency range looking for a scan lock. This could be
because you are pushing the limits of scan range.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.