Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need a couple of BSW bolts

Well, perhaps screws.
1/2 x 12 tpi, 2-3/4 inches long or more.
Local supplier wants a small fortune, the only
reasonable one I've found won't mail to Canada.

("screw" is threaded from head to tip, "bolt" is
threaded only part way - I dont' care which...)
thanks / mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark F" wrote in message
Well, perhaps screws.
1/2 x 12 tpi, 2-3/4 inches long or more.
Local supplier wants a small fortune, the only
reasonable one I've found won't mail to Canada.

Try www.rabers.com, or another british bike shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark F" wrote in message

("screw" is threaded from head to tip, "bolt" is
threaded only part way - I dont' care which...)

Actually a screw is a fastener that is designed to have torque applied to
the head. A bolt is designed to have torque applied to a nut.

This distinction is why the proper name is cap screw rather than bolt, lag
screw rather than lag bolt and stove bolt rather than machine screw.
--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger Shoaf wrote:

Actually a screw is a fastener that is designed to have torque applied to
the head. A bolt is designed to have torque applied to a nut.

This distinction is why the proper name is cap screw rather than bolt, lag
screw rather than lag bolt and stove bolt rather than machine screw.

That's an interesting insight, makes sense.

When I was a storeman in charge of heaps of different fasteners, I
wondered why some were called bolts, others screws. Just looking at
them, it occurred to me that all the bolts had unthreaded portions to
the shanks, and all the screws (setscrews) were threaded all the way.

As a rule of thumb, it held.

Jordan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:54:14 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Mark F" wrote in message

("screw" is threaded from head to tip, "bolt" is
threaded only part way - I dont' care which...)

Actually a screw is a fastener that is designed to have torque applied to
the head. A bolt is designed to have torque applied to a nut.

This distinction is why the proper name is cap screw rather than bolt, lag
screw rather than lag bolt and stove bolt rather than machine screw.

That all depends what country you are in. Until your post and despite
spending around 40 years in engineering in the UK I'd never even heard
of a lag screw, or a lag bolt or a stove bolt.

setscrew, machine screw, bolt, capscrew - yes, but I suspect that
some of those mean entirely different things on the other side of the
pond.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike wrote:

That all depends what country you are in.

As I'm neither British or American and strictly neutral, I learnt to use
both vocabularies!

Espagnolette bolts Anna UK diy 8 May 17th 06 11:09 PM
Where in UK do I source cam bolts? Richard Woodworking 4 January 28th 05 09:47 PM
Lag bolts vs. carriage bolts GonnyGump Woodworking 12 April 9th 04 01:52 AM
Source for photo-couple/opto-couple dlnpc Electronics Repair 0 March 22nd 04 03:59 AM