Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Monitor or video card problem?

My Viewsonic monitor was about 7 yrs old and I was starting to get
vertical yellow broken lines about 2" apart. Occasionally the cursor
would change to a small black vertical line. I assumed the monitor must
be bad, and bought a new one. The new one is acting the same way. Does
my video card need to be replaced, or is there an easier fix?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"fireguy" wrote in message
ups.com...

My Viewsonic monitor was about 7 yrs old and I was starting to get
vertical yellow broken lines about 2" apart. Occasionally the cursor
would change to a small black vertical line. I assumed the monitor must
be bad, and bought a new one. The new one is acting the same way. Does
my video card need to be replaced, or is there an easier fix?

Does your computer have a video card? Most are on the MB. You could add or
replace it and see.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"fireguy" wrote in message
ups.com...

My Viewsonic monitor was about 7 yrs old and I was starting to get
vertical yellow broken lines about 2" apart. Occasionally the cursor
would change to a small black vertical line. I assumed the monitor must
be bad, and bought a new one. The new one is acting the same way. Does
my video card need to be replaced, or is there an easier fix?

Does your computer have a video card? Most are on the MB. You could add or
replace it and see.

Most? Only the very cheapest boxes have onboard video, the majority of
PC's still use a separate video card.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Most? Only the very cheapest boxes have onboard video, the majority of
PC's still use a separate video card.

Hardly. And he is running a 7 yr old Viewsonic monitor. Not likely to have
an extreme video card.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

fireguy wrote:

My Viewsonic monitor was about 7 yrs old and I was starting to get
vertical yellow broken lines about 2" apart. Occasionally the cursor
would change to a small black vertical line. I assumed the monitor
must be bad, and bought a new one. The new one is acting the same way.
Does my video card need to be replaced, or is there an easier fix?

Just guessing... The S3 365 Video card did this if the driver got
damaged. W98/ME You must set the video card to use the VGA driver
before installing a new one.

HTH

--
Baron:

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11 Nov 2006 20:33:42 -0800, "fireguy" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

My Viewsonic monitor was about 7 yrs old and I was starting to get
vertical yellow broken lines about 2" apart. Occasionally the cursor
would change to a small black vertical line. I assumed the monitor must
be bad, and bought a new one. The new one is acting the same way. Does
my video card need to be replaced, or is there an easier fix?

It sounds like a RAM failure on your graphics card. Have you checked
the fan? Otherwise, if you have integrated motherboard graphics, then
I'd check the video settings in the BIOS. The graphics subsystem on my
old SiS motherboard would misbehave in a similar way if various
timings were too aggressive. A hair dryer and freeze spray should
narrow down your fault.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"fireguy" wrote in message
ups.com...
or is there an easier fix?

By easier you mean....what?

Really, we're talking about ONE screw and maybe $30 to replace the video
card. Well, three screws if your PC case doesn't have quick-release
fasteners.