Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Default Looks like Grizzly is winner for drill/mill model

After lots of surfing for a Sieg X3 (no Super X3s for love or money)
the Grizzly G0463 Mill / Drill at http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463
comes to $1,014.25, with shipping.

I looked at the Rong Fu RF-45 and other similar models. The Sieg has
a lower overall height, which makes it a better "fit" into the available
space. Also, about 400 lbs for the X3 vs. about 800 lbs for the RF sorta
shades my view.

Thanks for the comments, even though I'm unable to take advantage of
all the advise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Louis Ohland wrote:
After lots of surfing for a Sieg X3 (no Super X3s for love or money)
the Grizzly G0463 Mill / Drill at http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463
comes to $1,014.25, with shipping.

I looked at the Rong Fu RF-45 and other similar models. The Sieg has a
lower overall height, which makes it a better "fit" into the available
space. Also, about 400 lbs for the X3 vs. about 800 lbs for the RF sorta
shades my view.

Thanks for the comments, even though I'm unable to take advantage of
all the advise.

Overall height, I'd think more is better, you run out of spindle real quick.
Overall weight, I know more is better.

You are selecting a small light machine, just don't expect much of it.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
After lots of surfing for a Sieg X3 (no Super X3s for love or money)
the Grizzly G0463 Mill / Drill at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463 comes to $1,014.25, with shipping.

I looked at the Rong Fu RF-45 and other similar models. The Sieg has
a lower overall height, which makes it a better "fit" into the
available space. Also, about 400 lbs for the X3 vs. about 800 lbs for
the RF sorta shades my view.

Thanks for the comments, even though I'm unable to take advantage of
all the advise.

Overall height, I'd think more is better, you run out of spindle real
quick.

Looks like about an inch difference compared to the G1005Z at the same
price.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

The limit on height is a concern, but I have no desire for a 220v unit,
nor something with more heft. I did see a HF mill/drill that was
appealing, but the round column doesn't do much for me.

Any less than 800 lb mill/drills with a square column [dovetail]? I'm
not seeing much. Sieg has the motor hanging down, instead of up, that
seems to be uncommon [but appreciated].

If I do need something bigger machined, I'll have to wheedle someone
into using their mill for a bit. The lack of a big throat on the X3
makes good clamping fixtures a must.

Grant Erwin wrote:
Overall height, I'd think more is better, you run out of spindle real
quick.
Overall weight, I know more is better.

You are selecting a small light machine, just don't expect much of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Round column, but only about 50 more pounds. Has anyone come up with a
CNC kit for a round column mill?

Rex B wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
After lots of surfing for a Sieg X3 (no Super X3s for love or
money) the Grizzly G0463 Mill / Drill at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463 comes to $1,014.25, with shipping.

I looked at the Rong Fu RF-45 and other similar models. The Sieg
has a lower overall height, which makes it a better "fit" into the
available space. Also, about 400 lbs for the X3 vs. about 800 lbs for
the RF sorta shades my view.

Thanks for the comments, even though I'm unable to take advantage
of all the advise.

Overall height, I'd think more is better, you run out of spindle real
quick.

Looks like about an inch difference compared to the G1005Z at the same
price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

Grant Erwin wrote:
Overall height, I'd think more is better, you run out of spindle real
quick.
Overall weight, I know more is better.

You are selecting a small light machine, just don't expect much of it.

HF has an X3 now too.
Randy Replogle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Louis Ohland wrote:
Round column, but only about 50 more pounds. Has anyone come up with a
CNC kit for a round column mill?

I don't know about a kit, but plenty of people are converting these
things. They have been around for decades, it was unavoidable.

Rex B wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
After lots of surfing for a Sieg X3 (no Super X3s for love or
money) the Grizzly G0463 Mill / Drill at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463 comes to $1,014.25, with
shipping.

I looked at the Rong Fu RF-45 and other similar models. The Sieg
has a lower overall height, which makes it a better "fit" into the
available space. Also, about 400 lbs for the X3 vs. about 800 lbs
for the RF sorta shades my view.

Thanks for the comments, even though I'm unable to take advantage
of all the advise.

Overall height, I'd think more is better, you run out of spindle real
quick.

Looks like about an inch difference compared to the G1005Z at the same
price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

93885-0VGA PRECISION GEAR HEAD TWO SPEED/VARIABLE SPEED MILLING AND
DRILLING MACHINE
Throat depth: 9''
Spindle to table: 10''

G0463 Mill / Drill
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463
# Max. distance spindle to table: 14 3/4"

I wish they would use the same terms. I would certainly use R8 collets
or ER32 for the most distance. HF seems so "trailer trash". Dunno.

Randy Replogle wrote:
HF has an X3 now too.
Randy Replogle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:56:15 -0600, Louis Ohland
wrote:

93885-0VGA PRECISION GEAR HEAD TWO SPEED/VARIABLE SPEED MILLING AND
DRILLING MACHINE
Throat depth: 9''
Spindle to table: 10''

G0463 Mill / Drill
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463
# Max. distance spindle to table: 14 3/4"

I wish they would use the same terms. I would certainly use R8 collets
or ER32 for the most distance. HF seems so "trailer trash". Dunno.

Randy Replogle wrote:
HF has an X3 now too.
Randy Replogle

RR
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Yup, same model.

Randy Replogle wrote:
93885-0VGA PRECISION GEAR HEAD TWO SPEED/VARIABLE SPEED MILLING AND
DRILLING MACHINE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

It may be the same model, but are the fit and finish the same?
Will you be able to get parts from Harbor Freight in a year
(or are you absolutely certain that all the grizzly parts are
identical)?

Louis Ohland wrote:
Yup, same model.

Randy Replogle wrote:

93885-0VGA PRECISION GEAR HEAD TWO SPEED/VARIABLE SPEED MILLING AND
DRILLING MACHINE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Like two flies standing on a banana peel and arguing about it...

I think Grizzly has better support. Or so I hope...
http://www.grizzly.com/qa_support.aspx

When HF has something similar, do tell.

Mike Berger wrote:
It may be the same model, but are the fit and finish the same?
Will you be able to get parts from Harbor Freight in a year
(or are you absolutely certain that all the grizzly parts are
identical)?

Louis Ohland wrote:
Yup, same model.

Randy Replogle wrote:

93885-0VGA PRECISION GEAR HEAD TWO SPEED/VARIABLE SPEED MILLING AND
DRILLING MACHINE

Legacy Model 200 group [email protected] Woodturning 1 February 14th 06 06:23 PM
WINNERS! Usenet Kook Awards, April 2005 Ross Woodworking 8 May 10th 05 03:17 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Grizzly Band Saw Riser (Extension) works great with the HD Ridgid Band Saw!! [email protected] Woodworking 5 September 30th 04 12:45 AM
Model engineering book (brand new)for sale on ebay Herbie Metalworking 0 August 23rd 04 01:29 PM