Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
trg-s338

Default Tough machine paint

In restoring an older lathe, what paints can be used that would
withstand the harsh environment a lathe or other machine tool for that
matter operates in. It resists grease, oil, chemicals, chips,
swarf, the occassional ding, and so on. For information purposes, what
did original manufactures use such as on a Hardinge lathe for example?
On some forum I can't quite recall now, it was discussed that some of
these paints were highly toxic to work with until they are "cured" but
tough as hell when dry. What are some currently available paints that
can also be used for this purpose? Where would you buy them?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"trg-s338" wrote in message
oups.com...
In restoring an older lathe, what paints can be used that would
withstand the harsh environment a lathe or other machine tool for that
matter operates in. It resists grease, oil, chemicals, chips,
swarf, the occassional ding, and so on. For information purposes, what
did original manufactures use such as on a Hardinge lathe for example?
On some forum I can't quite recall now, it was discussed that some of
these paints were highly toxic to work with until they are "cured" but
tough as hell when dry. What are some currently available paints that
can also be used for this purpose? Where would you buy them?

Pretty much any good alkyd enamel kicked with an cyanate hardener will give
you the desired finish. You can get both at most any automotive paints
shop.

The 'toxic' quality comes from the use of the hardener. "Breathe deep the
gathering gloom." Or... use a full-up organic fumes repirator. That's
probably the better course.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:46:38 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

The 'toxic' quality comes from the use of the hardener. "Breathe deep the
gathering gloom." Or... use a full-up organic fumes repirator. That's
probably the better course.

LLoyd

Another Moody Blues fan?

Randy REplogle
--
Randy Replogle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After doing a lot of research on this subject prior to painting my
Hardinge lathe, I chose Sherwin-Williams Tile Clad, a water based two
part epoxy with no isocyanates.

Tile Clad is often used as a garage floor coating. According to their
literature, it's a "VOC compliant, two-package, epoxy-polyamide coating
for use in industrial maintenance environments and high performance
architectural applications. Chemical resistant - Dry film resists
bacterial attack - Abrasion resistant - Low VOC. "

They can tint the color and you can roll it on with a 3" roller. Use a
respirator - see their Application and Safety data sheets on the
website.

http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/im/...edtileclad.asp

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

knowone wrote:
"....watch lights fade from every room."

"Bedsitter people look back in lament ..."
--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Keeley

I used Endura (a 2 part epoxy primer and 2 part urethane topcoat
similar to Imron) on my mill, I'm very happy with the results. Be
sure to treat the bare parts (if you strip the old paint) with a
metal conditioner to deep clean it or the new coating might not
adhere properly.

http://www.endura.ca/

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/thumbnails.php?album=323

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

NAPA sells a regular spray paint in "machinery gray" that holds up very
well. We use it in the shop on equipment and it holds up quite well. Maybe
not the best but it does work good and cheap..

sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:54 PM
sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 12:53 PM
Painting horror - interior wall. Steven L Umbach Home Repair 26 September 1st 05 07:39 PM
Scraping tough paint? Airkings Home Repair 14 April 27th 05 04:05 PM
machine paint SleepyJake Metalworking 4 June 4th 04 02:55 AM