Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Import Arbor for Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill

Has anyone tried one of the Bison or import 30 taper arbors in the
Clausing 8540? If so what was needed to get it to fit if anything?

Thanks, Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
writes:

Has anyone tried one of the Bison or import 30 taper arbors in the
Clausing 8540? If so what was needed to get it to fit if anything?

I can't help you with that, but we few 8540 users should keep in touch.

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

If you are keeping a list of owners, please add me to it. I've got almost
two of them. An 8540 and most of the parts for an 8550. One of these days
I'll part out what's left of the 8550.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone tried one of the Bison or import 30 taper arbors in the
Clausing 8540? If so what was needed to get it to fit if anything?

Thanks, Steve

The import arbors seem to fit the spindle on the 8540 just fine but will
need some modification to fit the arbor support. I haven't verified it yet,
but someone sent me a drawing of the 8540 arbor quite a while back, so email
me if youd like a copy of that. Clausing no longer sells the arbors and
although they will provide drawings of parts they no longer sell, they
didn't have one for the arbor.

BTW, Yahoo has a group for Clausing lathe and mill owners which can be a
good source of info.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Mike Henry writes:

If you are keeping a list of owners, please add me to it.

It is enough for you to announce yourself as such here, then you are
perpetually available via deja.com.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to :
Has anyone tried one of the Bison or import 30 taper arbors in the
Clausing 8540? If so what was needed to get it to fit if anything?

I don't have experience with the Clausing 8540, but I do have
experience with mounting BT and CAT 40 taper end mill holders on a
Nichols horizontal mill.

The primary difference (assuming that your Clausing uses a
drawbar rather than a quick-change mechanism) is that the BT and CAT
tool holders have a special ball stud screwed directly into the back of
the taper, with no cylindrical collar, while the NTMB and similar end
mill holders, and arbors have a flange which can be gripped by an
appropriate ring (as in the 30-taper spindle for the Bridgeport Series I
machines). Also, the CAT and BT tapers have two different sized notches
to assure re-insertion in the same relationship to the spindle's
rotation so indexed taps and such will repeat, while the notches on the
NTMB flange are of equal size. Also the CAT and BT holders have a
thicker flange with a turned V for use by the quick-change tool turret
mechanism.

I have modified BT and CAT tapers to use in my Nichols mill. Be
aware that the width of the slots is not important on that machine, as
the keys are simply the heads of Allen head cap screws, and those will
fit into any of the slots. The original arbors for the Nichols actually
had no slots in a flange, but instead had a cross-drilled hole with some
drill rod fitted and held by a setscrew. You may need to make sure that
the smaller of the two slots is large enough to accommodate the key on
the spindle.

Anyway -- to modify the 40 taper CAT and BT holders, what I
needed to do is:

1) Heat the back of the holder to release the Loctite and
unscrew the ball stud which is normally gripped by a powered
drawbar.

2) Machine a cylindrical section to match that on the NTMB holders
and tap it to receive the standard drawbar thread. I happened
to use 12L14 steel because I had it on hand, and it is easy to
machine. You don't need any particularly strong steel for this.

3) Use Loctite
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 02:41:11 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

writes:

Has anyone tried one of the Bison or import 30 taper arbors in the
Clausing 8540? If so what was needed to get it to fit if anything?

I can't help you with that, but we few 8540 users should keep in touch.

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm

I have one, and I use all the various 30 taper types in it by simply
keeping extra drawbolts with the various threads on them. Same with
the Gorton MasterMill..uses the same 30 taper stuff so I can feed both
machines with the same tooling.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3