Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames

Default Any interest in a big, old, Monarch lathe?

We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.
Everything works, the ways are in good shape, and it has a taper
attachment. Built in 1941, the tag says the manufacturer's number is
8971, the model is 16" W, the actual swing is 18.5", and the center to
center length is 102". Yes, that is really 8 feet 6" between centers -
I said big :-). Surely someone needs to fabricate ship propeller shafts
or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 02:51:22 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.
Everything works, the ways are in good shape, and it has a taper
attachment. Built in 1941, the tag says the manufacturer's number is
8971, the model is 16" W, the actual swing is 18.5", and the center to
center length is 102". Yes, that is really 8 feet 6" between centers -
I said big :-). Surely someone needs to fabricate ship propeller shafts
or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

Damn. Where's that matter transmitter when you want it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

wrote:

We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.
Everything works, the ways are in good shape, and it has a taper
attachment. Built in 1941, the tag says the manufacturer's number is
8971, the model is 16" W, the actual swing is 18.5", and the center to
center length is 102". Yes, that is really 8 feet 6" between centers -
I said big :-). Surely someone needs to fabricate ship propeller shafts
or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

Damn. Where's that matter transmitter when you want it.

Wayne

I thought of you the second I started reading. Just what you asked for a
while back. As a fellow with a LeBlond the same size, I wish I could trade
up to this machine also.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames

We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.
Everything works, the ways are in good shape, and it has a taper
attachment. Built in 1941, the tag says the manufacturer's number is
8971, the model is 16" W, the actual swing is 18.5", and the center to
center length is 102". Yes, that is really 8 feet 6" between
centers -
I said big :-). Surely someone needs to fabricate ship propeller
shafts
or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read
this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

Damn. Where's that matter transmitter when you want it.

Fly here, rent a truck, drive home. Three to four days total and think
what you'd have :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

I agree, make the trip.

Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

I owned a Monarch of about the same vintage and size of this one back in the
mid-80's. If this one was built to specs that came into effect after the
war started, and if it has had reasonable maintenance, I would venture to
guess it's a nice machine. The one I owned was in a GE plant from new until
I bought it, and it was a fantastic machine. Brings back a lot of
memories...

Good luck,
JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:02:54 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

.. .
wrote:

We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.
Everything works, the ways are in good shape, and it has a taper
attachment. Built in 1941, the tag says the manufacturer's number is
8971, the model is 16" W, the actual swing is 18.5", and the center to
center length is 102". Yes, that is really 8 feet 6" between centers -
I said big :-). Surely someone needs to fabricate ship propeller shafts
or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

Damn. Where's that matter transmitter when you want it.

Wayne

I thought of you the second I started reading. Just what you asked for a
while back. As a fellow with a LeBlond the same size, I wish I could trade
up to this machine also.

It would be nice if it had about 2" more swing but it's close enough
I could get by with it alright. It would definitely be a good upgrade
for the Sidney I have. But man a 1500+ miles one way. That's a heck of
a road trip in a truck big enough to carry it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:58:59 -0500, "wayne mak"
wrote:

I agree, make the trip.
"Carl Ijames" wrote in message
We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.
Everything works, the ways are in good shape, and it has a taper
attachment. Built in 1941, the tag says the manufacturer's number is
8971, the model is 16" W, the actual swing is 18.5", and the center to
center length is 102". Yes, that is really 8 feet 6" between centers -
I said big :-). Surely someone needs to fabricate ship propeller shafts
or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

Damn. Where's that matter transmitter when you want it.

Fly here, rent a truck, drive home. Three to four days total and think
what you'd have :-).

It would be real nice alright but I don't see how I can get away from
this place that long (not to mention how I hate driving in the first
place).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

It would be nice if it had about 2" more swing but it's close enough
I could get by with it alright. It would definitely be a good upgrade
for the Sidney I have. But man a 1500+ miles one way. That's a heck of
a road trip in a truck big enough to carry it.

Bet you'd love our Mazak M4 , 22"x72". Of course, you've got to write a
program to run it, CNC.

Karl

Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

I owned a Monarch of about the same vintage and size of this one back
in the mid-80's. If this one was built to specs that came into effect
after the war started, and if it has had reasonable maintenance, I
would venture to guess it's a nice machine. The one I owned was in a
GE plant from new until I bought it, and it was a fantastic machine.
Brings back a lot of memories...

Good luck,
JB

This was bought new by a small shipyard in Baltimore, and used sparingly
for things like propeller shafts. We bought it about 10 years ago from
them, and have only used it maybe two dozen times. My boss said that it
only had 0.006" of runout over the full length of the bed when we got
it. We have a few chucks and some tooling to go with it. The lathe
itself is somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 lbs - we have shifted it
around in our shop with our 5,000 lb rated forklift. My boss talked
with a scrap guy a couple of years ago and got a decent offer because he
said that that vintage machine had very high quality cast iron. If no
one wants it, that's where it is going. We need the space for another
Fadal cnc machining center. Oh, Wayne, I asked our shipping guy to make
up a guess and he said that Roadway could handle some machine equipment,
and based on the weight and 1500 miles guessed $3,000, plus riggers at
each end to load and unload it. Please, someone keep this from the
scrap bin :-).

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I noticed your email address is @usdigital.com. I've always wanted to
build the Shumatech dro and use usdigital's rotary encoders with it.
Do you have any interest/knowledge/experience in this area?

Dick Hamm
Nashua NH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That last was intended for John. Something made me think that clicking
on 'individual reply' would send the message directly to him. Silly
me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 00:33:34 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

[...]

Ouch. This sounds like a pretty nice machine. The weight sounds a
little on the light side for a machine like this. I see that most will
run 8,000-9000lbs in this size range.

I'd need more details before making a decision. Things like price,
chuck mount, spindle through hole, top speed would be nice (some pics
would even be nicer). Also I would need to know if you would require
riggers on that end or would load for me (unloading isn't a problem
for me).

Checking it out I find that flat bed trucks don't seem to be in the
one way rental category. It would cost about $700 to rent one here for
the job. Plus fuel would make it pretty expensive. I would be better
off borrowing a trailer (I have a few possibilities though I don't
like borrowing things like that). Even borrowing a trailer would cost
me around $1000 for the trip and probably more if I paid for help on
driving (likely needed do to the long trip and need for it to be done
quickly).

All of this on top of me currently buying a tractor (this year has
started out being a year for large increases in machines it seems do
to the good deals being wagged in front of me) makes financing
difficult. However if the price is low enough I might be able to pull
it off.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Wayne Cook :
wrote:

I agree, make the trip.
"Carl Ijames" wrote in message
We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.

[ ... ]

or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

Damn. Where's that matter transmitter when you want it.

Fly here, rent a truck, drive home. Three to four days total and think
what you'd have :-).

It would be real nice alright but I don't see how I can get away from
this place that long (not to mention how I hate driving in the first
place).

Well ... it is only a couple of hour's drive from here, and you
could stay here overnight.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

wrote in message
ups.com...
I noticed your email address is @usdigital.com. I've always wanted to
build the Shumatech dro and use usdigital's rotary encoders with it.
Do you have any interest/knowledge/experience in this area?

Dick Hamm
Nashua NH

No Dick, I don't...I'm just a "nuts and bolts" guy that runs the machine
shop, but I can get you to the guy that does know that area. I'll email you
off the group with his name and email address.

I sure hope that machine goes to someone who can use it. The scrap yard is
not a nice place for and old beauty like that. The misalignment is probably
from not being leveled properly for a long time and it got some twist. That
can probably be corrected, though it'll take some time. And yes, those
machine were made from some great iron!

JB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

wrote:

[...]

I used to think I hated driving until I drove from TX - CT and then back
a week later. Towed a 24' cargo trailer on the way back too, 50' overall
length. Years back I thought about 5 hours was my driving limit until I
did the second half of that return trip in a non-stop (except gas and
lunch) 18 hours, backed the trailer down the driveway in the dark and
rain and then spent a couple more hours unpacking.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

wrote:

[...]

There was a time I could of done it (though I wouldn't of liked it).
But I'm afraid that if I did that now I wouldn't be able to walk when
I got out. There are times when I can barely walk after a 5 hour trip.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:35:40 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Wayne Cook quickly quoth:

wrote:
I used to think I hated driving until I drove from TX - CT and then back
a week later. Towed a 24' cargo trailer on the way back too, 50' overall
length. Years back I thought about 5 hours was my driving limit until I
did the second half of that return trip in a non-stop (except gas and
lunch) 18 hours, backed the trailer down the driveway in the dark and
rain and then spent a couple more hours unpacking.

(That last bit, when you were overtired and sleepy in the dark of
night and rain, could have been an expensive lesson, Pete. You lucked
out. Why didn't you park it and sleep first?)

There was a time I could of done it (though I wouldn't of liked it).
But I'm afraid that if I did that now I wouldn't be able to walk when
I got out. There are times when I can barely walk after a 5 hour trip.

I've found that my 1990 Ford F-150 pickup is one of the most
comfortable driving vehicles I've ever owned. My dad's old Mercury
Grand Marquis was about as comfy for long trips. I stop for pee and
walking/stretching breaks (takes about 5 minutes every several hours)
and don't have a problem. I pack sliced veggies and sandwiches for the
trip so I don't have to wait in a noisy restaurant for lunch. I also
found that I'm much less tired at the destination if I have worn ear
plugs during the drive. They take out most of the road noise but let
through the stereo, seeming to knock off a couple hours worth of
tiredness. Any trip over 20 minutes calls for foam ear plugs now.

--
As a curmudgeon, I grok that in its entirety.
--LJ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

wrote:
I used to think I hated driving until I drove from TX - CT and then back
a week later. Towed a 24' cargo trailer on the way back too, 50' overall
length. Years back I thought about 5 hours was my driving limit until I
did the second half of that return trip in a non-stop (except gas and
lunch) 18 hours, backed the trailer down the driveway in the dark and
rain and then spent a couple more hours unpacking.

(That last bit, when you were overtired and sleepy in the dark of
night and rain, could have been an expensive lesson, Pete. You lucked
out. Why didn't you park it and sleep first?)

Because I wasn't over tired and sleepy. If I had been I would have taken
a nap at a rest stop. I started that last 18 hr leg after a good 24 hr
break at a hotel (with free Internet) where I ended up after being paged
by work a am the previous day due to a system problem.

There was a time I could of done it (though I wouldn't of liked it).
But I'm afraid that if I did that now I wouldn't be able to walk when
I got out. There are times when I can barely walk after a 5 hour trip.

I've found that my 1990 Ford F-150 pickup is one of the most
comfortable driving vehicles I've ever owned.

Chevy K3500 crew cab dually. Pretty comfortable as well.

My dad's old Mercury
Grand Marquis was about as comfy for long trips.

I had one of those as a rental when they didn't have the Taurus I had
booked on hand. It was pretty comfy as well.

I stop for pee and
walking/stretching breaks (takes about 5 minutes every several hours)
and don't have a problem.

At 9 MPG pulling the large trailer gas stops are every 300 miles. Lunch
was 30 min at Burger King somewhere near St. Louis.

I pack sliced veggies and sandwiches for the
trip so I don't have to wait in a noisy restaurant for lunch.

"Road warrior" mode. Laptop with GPS and voice prompts on a nice custom
mount in front of the passenger seat, a small cooler full of Dr. Pepper
and Power Aid strapped to the passenger seat along with a box of
assorted munchies. Worked very well.

I also
found that I'm much less tired at the destination if I have worn ear
plugs during the drive. They take out most of the road noise but let
through the stereo, seeming to knock off a couple hours worth of
tiredness. Any trip over 20 minutes calls for foam ear plugs now.

I think that's illegal in most states. At any rate, I want to be able to
hear every little noise, particularly when towing a big trailer.

Pete C.

--
As a curmudgeon, I grok that in its entirety.
--LJ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 06:03:31 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

My 93 Dodge diesel work truck is about as comfortable for my back
and legs as any vehicle I've drove. However it's noisy, rough riding,
and with flat bed, welder, tanks, and tools already maxed out on
weight before putting a trailer on.

I've finally got a car that's fairly comfortable to me. That is after
I put seat covers on and added foam for a lumbar support. My problem
is that I've got short leg and a long body. Nobody makes seats for me
anymore. Most hit me in the back of the knee cutting off circulation
in my leg. That is if I don't slouch down which causes my back to
hurt. The one vehicle I have available for a trip like this is my dads
99 Dodge. But it's got to be the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever
drove for me. He likes it better than my step mothers 03 Dodge but
then he has long legs.

I've used the ear plug trick before as well. Especially on some of
my louder driving vehicles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

wrote:

We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.
Everything works, the ways are in good shape, and it has a taper
attachment. Built in 1941, the tag says the manufacturer's number is
8971, the model is 16" W, the actual swing is 18.5", and the center to
center length is 102". Yes, that is really 8 feet 6" between centers -
I said big :-). Surely someone needs to fabricate ship propeller shafts
or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

Damn. Where's that matter transmitter when you want it.

Wayne, if it helps with your decision making, I going from DFW to PA
the last week in June. No trouble to drop your carcass in MD.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

wrote:

We have a big, old, Monarch lathe at work that we need to get rid of.
Everything works, the ways are in good shape, and it has a taper
attachment. Built in 1941, the tag says the manufacturer's number is
8971, the model is 16" W, the actual swing is 18.5", and the center to
center length is 102". Yes, that is really 8 feet 6" between centers -
I said big :-). Surely someone needs to fabricate ship propeller shafts
or ... Located in Laurel, MD, USA. If anyone is interested I read this
group every day, or you can email me at the address below.

Damn. Where's that matter transmitter when you want it.

Wayne, if it helps with your decision making, I going from DFW to PA
the last week in June. No trouble to drop your carcass in MD.

I appreciate the offer but I bet they'll want it gone way before
then. Also it looks like I'd have to take what ever I haul it on from
here to there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames

[...]

Okay, this is going on ebay for a 3 or 5 day auction, probably tomorrow,
unless I get an offer beforehand. Buy it now will be $1500. Lathe, cam
lock adaptor for chucks, 10" 3 jaw chuck, 10" 4 jaw chuck, steady rest,
a faceplate and dog, and one of those toolholders that hold 4 tools and
you rotate to change tools. Don't know the hp but it's a 3 phase 208 V
motor on 30 A breakers, so most likely guess is 7.5 hp. Gearbox is belt
driven by motor, with drive pulley speed 668 rpm. Sixteen speed gearbox
giving speeds from 16 to 665-ish rpm. You have to provide the riggers
or equipment to move it from our shop to our dock to your truck. If it
doesn't sell in the next few days it's going for scrap. I'll make
another post when I know the ebay item number if you want to see a few
pictures.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames

[...]

The item number is 7602153271, ends Thursday morning about 9 AM Eastern
time.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames

Well, we found a buyer today, should be gone next week, and as a lathe
and not scrap (whew!). Thanks for the interest.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 03:34:41 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

Well, we found a buyer today, should be gone next week, and as a lathe
and not scrap (whew!). Thanks for the interest.

Good. I was worried. I would of bought it but between 2" to small a
swing, to low a top rpm, and the distance it added up to many strikes
against it for my use.