Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Heavy G

Default Cisco soho-91 router

I have this router, and was able to make a console cable to be able to
access the CLI to change the configuration, because this router was
previously configured for another use and I couldnt not get into the CRWS
utility in a browser. I wanted to reset it to default, but I managed to
screw up the configuration. so what the problem is I need the software so I
can restore it to original factory fresh settings. the software is version
12.2(13)z something, I dont have the exact string from the router. but im
sure someone know what version belongs on this router. OR if theres a newer
one that works and you have a link to the software please let me know. and
dont tell me to go to cisco.com because I already tried that, you have to be
a registered and paying person to download the os software. If anyone can
help please let me know. Much appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim K

Heavy G wrote:
I have this router, and was able to make a console cable to be able to
access the CLI to change the configuration, because this router was
previously configured for another use and I couldnt not get into the CRWS
utility in a browser. I wanted to reset it to default, but I managed to
screw up the configuration. so what the problem is I need the software so I
can restore it to original factory fresh settings. the software is version
12.2(13)z something, I dont have the exact string from the router. but im
sure someone know what version belongs on this router. OR if theres a newer
one that works and you have a link to the software please let me know. and
dont tell me to go to cisco.com because I already tried that, you have to be
a registered and paying person to download the os software. If anyone can
help please let me know. Much appreciated.

Note: To determine the version, run the shoe version command.

The proper version really depends on what level service contract the
purchaser had with Cisco. Restoring the software (IOS) will do nothing
to reset the configuration, so I have provided instructions below:

To reset the router to defaults, access it from a console cable, enter
privileged exec mode (enable command), and run the erase startup-config
command. Run the reload command to reboot the router. The router will
now ask you a series of questions to set up a basic configuration. You
will now have a base configuration (be patient, this will take some time).

Once you have a working configuration, you should back it up to a TFTP
server (free software is available online). You should also back up the
IOS since you don't have a support contract with Cisco.

If the IOS is gone, then the only legal way to get it fixed is a support
contract with Cisco. This does really stink, but that's just the way
Cisco is. Once you get it running, however, it will be very stable - my
Cisco 831 has been up and running without any reboots for 1 year, 17
weeks, 3 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Heavy G

Ahh, thanks for the tips the IOS software is still there, but I wasnt
sure how to default the router to basic settings and erase its previous
configuration, which it had and didnt work for my needs. I have a console
cable, I made it from a diagram I found soI am able to get into the router.
I will do what you said and then see if it works. thanks

m...