thomas rush

Default Home electrical problem

[First -- I didn't see a better group to post this
question... if one exists, I'd appreciate a pointer...
but I've found that this group will deal with almost
any electrical issue!]

Hi, all.

I've got a problem with my home electical system, and
was hoping to get a pointer from the group before I
scheduled a service call.

Setting:
A 10-year-old house in the US with standard 110
wiring, no known electrical or wiring problems
before this. Home is currently vacant, but
everything worked when my family and I were living
there with all the normal drains of computer,
microwaves, electonics, refrigerator, A/C....

What's happening:
I noticed a few days ago that the first floor A/C
system did not seem to be cooling, but I didn't have
time then to check it out. When I went back to
investigate yesterday, I found that the unit blower
would be on but the air wasn't coming out cold.

I noticed an unusual dimming of the living room
lights when the A/C unit came on -- not just a
temporary dip-then-back-up, but a noticeable drop
to maybe 2/3 brightness that didn't come back up
again.

I checked and all circuit breakers seemed to be
set -- but I flipped them off and reset them to
'on' anyway. Back in the house, when I turned
the A/C unit back on, the same bank of lights
that dimmed before with A/C operation (living
room et al.) now wouldn't come on at all! They
did eventually come back on, but it was after I
went outside to reset the single-throw breakers,
and I believe it took several minutes even after
I turned the A/C off (these are standard
incandescent bulbs, not fluorescent or halogen).

I went in to the attic and didn't see anything
strange with the heater/AC blower unit, fwiw.
I believe that the HVAC system is on a separate
circuit from the 110v circuits that feed the
lights in the house.

Puzzled and without a flashlight to see in to
the breaker box or look at the outside cooler
enclosures (the grills with fan in the center), I
turned the HVAC system off at the thermostat
and left.

Questions:
I'm a bit confused by the behaviour of the lights,
which have never acted this way before. What
would the group's guesses be as to cause? Is it
possible that it is just a breaker is going bad?
What would you do as next steps?

I appreciate your suggestions.

thomas.
SelfGovern at Yahoo dot Com.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

thomas rush wrote:

[...]

The central A/C should be 240v, you can verify this by looking at the
breaker for it, which would be double pole, usually there's two separate
levers connected with a bridge though some have a single lever on a
double wide body. If that's the case, I suspect one whole side of the
panel may have a poor connection, take the cover off and look at the
heavy wires coming in at the top where they connect to the main and
touch the insulated portion near the main breaker to see if they're
warm. A common problem here is the lugs work loose and you get a poor
connection, but it could also be outside in the sealed meter box, where
the wires splice at the weather head (if overhead wiring), or out at the
transformer on the pole or in a box, the latter of which you'd need to
call the utility, if it's on their side of the meter they'll fix it for
free. If the lugs in the panel are loose, you can carefully use a
screwdriver to tighten them, being sure to only touch the plastic
handle, wearing gloves is a good idea too. I normally check mine every
few years just to make sure since we had a meltdown in the service panel
of the house I grew up in because of that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark

check the ground connection at the breaker panel and try posting your
question in

alt.home.repair

Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler

What's happening:
I noticed a few days ago that the first floor A/C
system did not seem to be cooling, but I didn't have
time then to check it out. When I went back to
investigate yesterday, I found that the unit blower
would be on but the air wasn't coming out cold.

The blower is a separate motor from the compressor (the outside unit).

I noticed an unusual dimming of the living room
lights when the A/C unit came on -- not just a
temporary dip-then-back-up, but a noticeable drop
to maybe 2/3 brightness that didn't come back up
again.

Stalled compressor. Might just need a capacitor.

I checked and all circuit breakers seemed to be
set -- but I flipped them off and reset them to
'on' anyway. Back in the house, when I turned
the A/C unit back on, the same bank of lights
that dimmed before with A/C operation (living
room et al.) now wouldn't come on at all! They
did eventually come back on, but it was after I
went outside to reset the single-throw breakers,
and I believe it took several minutes even after
I turned the A/C off (these are standard
incandescent bulbs, not fluorescent or halogen).

When you manually tripped the breakers, one or more failed to close. Your
second trip fixed that. Several minutes???????????????

My guess is your only problem is the compressor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Shoreline Electronics

Better yet...call an electrician. Don't open the panel and start tightening
things UNLESS you are 110% comfortable doing so.

One slip and you may have a bad holiday season

--
==========================
Jeff Stielau

========================

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
thomas rush

thomas rush wrote:

[that stuff's below; here's what I've found out...]

Called an electrician who suggested it might be a
problem with the wiring between the transformer
and meter -- apparently not uncommon here in Houston
with the underground, usually aluminum wiring.

So I called the electric company who confirmed that
one leg of my feed was at 120V, the other was at
30sometingV.

The good news is that it was that easy to diagnose.
The bad news is that this is considered to be the
homeowner's problem. So I'm putting in a new line
in, in conduit, at $12/foot. The buyers should
have good power for a long time to come.

Thanks to all for your insight.

thomas.

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Check your electric bill to see if you are paying for wiring repairs.
Some utilities have a program for $3-4 month they will fix wiring
normally responsibility of the customer. I just had a meter base
replaced free under this program.

thomas rush wrote:

thomas rush wrote:

[...]

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

"Follow The Money"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

thomas rush wrote:
thomas rush wrote:

[that stuff's below; here's what I've found out...]

Called an electrician who suggested it might be a
problem with the wiring between the transformer
and meter -- apparently not uncommon here in Houston
with the underground, usually aluminum wiring.

So I called the electric company who confirmed that
one leg of my feed was at 120V, the other was at
30sometingV.

The good news is that it was that easy to diagnose.
The bad news is that this is considered to be the
homeowner's problem. So I'm putting in a new line
in, in conduit, at $12/foot. The buyers should
have good power for a long time to come.

Thanks to all for your insight.

That's bizarre that it's you who has to pay when the problem is on the
electric company's side of the meter, my utility fixes anything on their
side on their dime.

Desperate for advice on replacing dead 255K BTU furnace in 3200 sq foot house magichappens Home Ownership 6 November 15th 05 07:47 PM
Desperate for advice on replacing dead 255K BTU furnace in 3200 sq foot house [email protected] Home Repair 24 November 14th 05 07:44 PM
Electrical problem Mogweed UK diy 41 November 14th 05 05:29 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
Electrical problem in basement L. Green Home Repair 8 August 10th 03 01:53 PM