Don Foreman

Default OT Maglite threads

For the many Maglite fans:

Someone here recommended Burndy Penetrox A for aluminum-to-aluminum
and aluminum-to-copper threaded electrical connections.

I picked up some yesterday, tried it on the tailcap of my 2D Maglite,
which is old enough that the anodization has worn off of the threads.

WOW! The tailcap now screws on very smoothly.

I found the Penetrox A (catalog number P8A) at a large electrical
supply house -- for half the price of buying it online.

BTW, Gunner, I'm making progress on the Luxeonated MX991\U. I think
I have a scheme for driving a 3W Lux from 2 D cells, full output down
to 0.9 volts per cell. A 1-watt would be more "practical" because of
longer battery life, but I think I'm gonna go 3 watts on this one
just for fun.
Gunner

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:08:12 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

For the many Maglite fans:

Someone here recommended Burndy Penetrox A for aluminum-to-aluminum
and aluminum-to-copper threaded electrical connections.

I picked up some yesterday, tried it on the tailcap of my 2D Maglite,
which is old enough that the anodization has worn off of the threads.

WOW! The tailcap now screws on very smoothly.

I found the Penetrox A (catalog number P8A) at a large electrical
supply house -- for half the price of buying it online.

BTW, Gunner, I'm making progress on the Luxeonated MX991\U. I think
I have a scheme for driving a 3W Lux from 2 D cells, full output down
to 0.9 volts per cell. A 1-watt would be more "practical" because of
longer battery life, but I think I'm gonna go 3 watts on this one
just for fun.

Cool!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Roger Shoaf

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
For the many Maglite fans:

Someone here recommended Burndy Penetrox A for aluminum-to-aluminum
and aluminum-to-copper threaded electrical connections.

On a Mag light, the threads themselves are supposed to be anodized and the
electrical contact is made on the faced end of the tube, and the mating
surface on the cap. If you have a Mag where the anodizing is not worn off
unscrewing the cap will break the contact. IIRC Mag recommends using
Vaseline to lube the threads. Probably a lot cheaper than Penatrox.

--
Roger Shoaf

Don Foreman

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:32:25 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
For the many Maglite fans:

Someone here recommended Burndy Penetrox A for aluminum-to-aluminum
and aluminum-to-copper threaded electrical connections.

On a Mag light, the threads themselves are supposed to be anodized and the
electrical contact is made on the faced end of the tube, and the mating
surface on the cap. If you have a Mag where the anodizing is not worn off
unscrewing the cap will break the contact. IIRC Mag recommends using
Vaseline to lube the threads. Probably a lot cheaper than Penatrox.

Vaseline is definitely cheaper, though $8 worth of Penetrox would be a
lifetime supply. I've used Vaseline on aluminum threads. The
Penetrox works a LOT better. Hams who use it on aluminum antenna
parts outdoors also say it works very well. Conductivity aside, it
is designed to have very good anti-corrosion properties.

Roger Shoaf

wrote:

[...]

It is not so much the $8 but I think it would do you no better than ordinary
slickym. I have never noticed much corrosion in my well used Mag lights
even the penlight that spends a lot of time getting drool on it when
clenched in my teeth.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Don Foreman

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:29:11 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

Vaseline is definitely cheaper, though $8 worth of Penetrox would be a
lifetime supply. I've used Vaseline on aluminum threads. The
Penetrox works a LOT better. Hams who use it on aluminum antenna
parts outdoors also say it works very well. Conductivity aside, it
is designed to have very good anti-corrosion properties.

It is not so much the $8 but I think it would do you no better than ordinary
slickym. I have never noticed much corrosion in my well used Mag lights
even the penlight that spends a lot of time getting drool on it when
clenched in my teeth.

YMMV! The hams that use it on their antenna towers sure like it.
For dentally-mounted flashlights, may I suggest chocolate frosting as
a more suitable lubricant..... or perhaps K-Y gel in the new herring
flavor....

KewlKiwi

Roger Shoaf wrote:

even the penlight that spends a lot of time getting drool on it when
clenched in my teeth.

Maybe one of these would help:

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=ST3405&CATID=&keywords=torch&SP ECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keywor d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

has a length of 169 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL
which has a length of 24 characters:

http://tinyurl.com/9aadn

Bob