B.B.

Default I took another tool back to Sears...

This time wasn't as great as the last. MY girl is out of town,
visiting her mom, so I had to deal with what was left behind.
I had a pair of pliers with the nice, comfy grips on 'em. One grip
came loose and I didn't feel like gluing it back on. So, I took it
back, set it on the counter, along with the detached handle, and
explained that I needed a new one.
The woman looked at it for a good while before finally asking:
"What's wrong with it?" This is a bad omen.
I set it down in two pieces and she's asking what's wrong with it?
What the ****? I say: "The handle came off." She picked it up, stuck
the handle back on and announced that she had fixed it. I took it back,
held it by the "fixed" handle, and let the pliers fall right back out,
gouging a little chunk out of the pretty, polished counter.
"No, you didn't. Can I get a new one?"
"I'll have to check and see if this is covered."
Oh yeah, I was going to pick up a set of wrenches as well since I've
been needing them, but I'll do that later. Hopefully after this woman
is dead.
So she called over Bob, who is apparently her mentor and he
immediately said I could get a new pair. Twenty seconds after Bob's
arrival I had my new pliers and was headed out.
In other news, on my way out a car had parked so close I had to climb
through the passenger seat to get in, and I was almost hit twice on the
way home--once by an idiot making a u-turn over the median.
It's one of those days.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
John R. Carroll

B.B.,
Why, exactly, do you continue to torture yourself with these people? And yes
I remember the earlier thread.
Is the ability to exchange what was basically junk to begin with for fresh
junk your idea of good value or do you enjoy the game?

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
[...]

Nick Müller

John R. Carroll wrote:

Why, exactly, do you continue to torture yourself with these people?

Mister maybe on a missionary mission,. ;-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
John R. Carroll

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
John R. Carroll wrote:

Why, exactly, do you continue to torture yourself with these people?

Mister maybe on a missionary mission,. ;-)

Nick

He might at that but there is a reason I buy Albrecht chucks and Herman
Schmidt vices. My time is worth something - at least to me it is. I wouldn't
have wanted to waste much of that time talking about a broken tool with the
lovely young lady he mentioned before and wouldn't have needed an excuse to
do so :)

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Jeff Wisnia

B.B. wrote:
[...]

You really gotta step back and take a look at yourself from a little
distance, BB. You probably knew ahead of time that you had at least a
50-50 chance of getting a "strong smell of stupid" from the first
countertwit you encountered at Sears.

Nonetheless, you used that imperfect exchange as an excuse to not buy
the set of wrenches you intended to pick up, so in effect you "won the
battle and lost the war".

I find it much easier to just thank G-d for making so many stupid
idiots, 'cause that makes it easier for us slightly brighter ones to
succeed. Imagine what the competition would feel like if everyone you
went up against was like Bill Gates or a Donald Trump?

'Course it only took me about 60 years to reach that point of view,
Before that happened I usually felt a lot like you're sounding, but I
tried to hide it as much as possible. G

By the way, I absatively LOVE a contact glue called "BARGE Cement" for
sticking stuff like that plier handle cover back on. It comes in handy
squeeze tubes and it'll fix everything except a broken heart and the
crack of dawn.

It's not too easy to find the stuff in stores, but sometimes shoe repair
shops sell tubes of it, 'cause it's what they use to glue soles on
shoes. I just replenished my own supply through amazon.com, without
having to use an ounce of my precious gasoline to go out and get it:

http://tinyurl.com/9p9fx

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Robin S.

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
.. .
He might at that but there is a reason I buy Albrecht chucks and Herman
Schmidt vices. My time is worth something - at least to me it is.

Sorry for the ubiquitous "me tooo" post, but it is refreshing to hear
someone with such a view.

I buy tools that are available in the toolcrib at work because I don't like
to be bothered to wander over there every time I need something, and also
because I can then take care of my tools and they are always available and
in good working order when I need them. Things like impact guns, electric
drills and super chucks aren't cheap, but if I'm going to use it for hours a
day...

I sell tools part-time on Saturdays. I hear a lot about people being able to
spend like $99 on 18V cordless tool kits from Crappy Tire or the Despot.
While it's difficult to say a $400 cordless drill from Milwaukee, Metabo,
Panasonic, etc is really 4 times better than the one from the Borg, at
$65+/hr, it doesn't take very many trips to make buying the better tool
worthwhile. Further, you get to use a nice tool (and there's no better
feeling....)

/rant

Regards,

Robin

Nick Müller

John R. Carroll wrote:

He might at that but there is a reason I buy Albrecht chucks and Herman
Schmidt vices.

Problem is, there are no pretty wimen where I buy my Albrecht, Mitotoyo,
Fein, Makita, Festool, etc.
But I prefer good tools over ugly wimen anyhow. ;-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Roger Shoaf

About 20 years ago I decided to take part of every paycheck and spend it at
Sears tool department. I made up a list of the hand tools I wanted and
would go in and buy sets of tools. I bought a set of combination wrenches
and when I got around to opening them I noticed that they were marked Made
In Japan. All the wrenches that were on the board that you could tough and
feel were Made in the USA and I felt taken.

I too returned to Sears and wanted to exchange the cheapies for the real
McCoy but my request was denied. They aren't broken. I pointed out that
the guarantee said nothing about being broken, it said I had to be
satisfied. They still refused.

I went and paid a visit to my friend that worked at a place that rebuilt jet
engines and they had a big whopping supply of liquid nitrogen.

I put the wrenches in a coffee can, filled it up with the liquid nitrogen
and when the wrenches cooled I pulled them out and gave them a good tap with
a BFH.

I got my American wrenches. I think the clerk is still wondering how I
snapped them.

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
[...]

John R. Carroll

John R. Carroll wrote:

He might at that but there is a reason I buy Albrecht chucks and Herman
Schmidt vices.

Problem is, there are no pretty wimen where I buy my Albrecht, Mitotoyo,
Fein, Makita, Festool, etc.

Mein Gott, die Schweine. Können Sie die Brandwunde in Hölle.

But I prefer good tools over ugly wimen anyhow. ;-)

A good tool will attract a good woman in time.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Nick Müller

John R. Carroll wrote:

Mein Gott, die Schweine. Können Sie die Brandwunde in Hölle.

uh!? In english please.

But I prefer good tools over ugly wimen anyhow. ;-)

A good tool will attract a good woman in time.

OK. And how long do I have to wait for that to come true?
Or ... what tool were you talking about excatly?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Jeff Wisnia

Nick Müller wrote:
John R. Carroll wrote:

Mein Gott, die Schweine. Können Sie die Brandwunde in Hölle.

uh!? In english please.

But I prefer good tools over ugly wimen anyhow. ;-)

A good tool will attract a good woman in time.

OK. And how long do I have to wait for that to come true?
Or ... what tool were you talking about excatly?

Nick

And make sure you marry a woman with small hands....They'll make your
tool seem bigger.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

John R. Carroll

John R. Carroll wrote:

Problem is, there are no pretty wimen where I buy my Albrecht, Mitotoyo,
Fein, Makita, Festool, etc.

Mein Gott, die Schweine. Können Sie die Brandwunde in Hölle.

uh!? In english please.

My GOD, the PIGS. May they burn in hell!

But I prefer good tools over ugly wimen anyhow. ;-)

A good tool will attract a good woman in time.

OK. And how long do I have to wait for that to come true?

Doesn't matter - it's worth the wait. To those who wait come all things
good.

Or ... what tool were you talking about excatly?

Quality is quality. Care and pride in ones work is usually reflected in all
areas of that individuals life.
You wouldn't by meat from a butcher with a moldy broken door on his shop
would you?

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Chris

John R. Carroll wrote:

He might at that but there is a reason I buy Albrecht chucks and Herman
Schmidt vices.

Problem is, there are no pretty wimen where I buy my Albrecht, Mitotoyo,
Fein, Makita, Festool, etc.
But I prefer good tools over ugly wimen anyhow. ;-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Ah! Now there is a name I have not heard in a while, Festool. One of the
best tool manufactures that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.
Bought a shop-vac from them while I was living in Germany. Hands down better
than ANYTHING here in the US, and quite to boot.

I never understood why they never made it over here. Someday, but when that
day comes I will be the first in line for the shop-vac. IIRC I paid
something like $600 at the time, but well worth it.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

John R. Carroll

John R. Carroll wrote:

He might at that but there is a reason I buy Albrecht chucks and Herman
Schmidt vices.

Problem is, there are no pretty wimen where I buy my Albrecht, Mitotoyo,
Fein, Makita, Festool, etc.
But I prefer good tools over ugly wimen anyhow. ;-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Ah! Now there is a name I have not heard in a while, Festool. One of

the
best tool manufactures that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.
Bought a shop-vac from them while I was living in Germany. Hands down

better
than ANYTHING here in the US, and quite to boot.

I never understood why they never made it over here.

Think about it Chris.
A lifetime warranty 40 years ago meant a very good tool that would probably
out last the customer from a supplier that would eat an item than disrespect
a customer. Craftsman wasn't cheap at all in the old days just good. The
warranty was an expression of pride of craftsmanship.

Today, a life time warranty is a trick to get you to buy cheap junk because
the price is low and you can exchange for another until you are worn
completely out doing so. They do not care about the product or the customer
and they get you to do their receiving QA job for them at Chinese wages.
That is the unspoken part of the deal you know. They throw out what you
return and take full credit with the vendor in China. You think they are
reputable. I think they are pricks that have bait and switched me into
working for them for free and Festool would tell you that that is crazy.
They couldn't look themselves in the mirror of they operated that way.

America has sent a clear signal that they will work for slave wages if you
package the deal properly.
Sam Walton wasn't a manufacturing or purchasing genius. He was a marketing
genius.
--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Eide

I can by them from two or three local tool distributors. I'm in Rhode
Island. One is http://www.jamestowndistributors.com and the other is
www.burnstools.com. Burns carries a ton of Festool stuff.

Eide

John R. Carroll wrote:

[...]

Chris

[...]

Do I follow you? Are you saying we do not see Festool over here because
they do not want to play the crap game that is going on? I think I hear you
right, Festool makes tools today like they would 40 years ago. I saved for
that shop-vac and planned to use / have it the rest of my life (other
circumstances took it away from me). Germany has some very serious tools in
use over there, Festool being one of them. Problem is the quality has a
price. I had a cordless drill from Festool as well and it was a gem. Use
to polish it every once in a while.

They also have a high tariff on imports, thus keeping some of the Chinese
crap out, and keeping jobs and quality in. If this were not so, there would
not be a need for a Festool.

Might it not be that America is learning its lesson as far as tools go?
Could there not be a revolt, and some higher end tools be allowed to make a
come back? Sure you will see Joe, us my drill twice a year, buying the
cheap crap, but others might jump in on the quality I would be game. Would
I have as many tools as I do now? Probably not. I would rather buy
quality, and something to be proud of, than the cheap throw away crap that
is around today.

But I think a lot is coming from the companies selling the crap. PRICE is
the factor these days, and screw the quality. I have myself fallen for some
of this crap, and had it break within a year. This was suppose to be
quality crap, as in the best available. Still was crap. I would hate to
say what was done to resolve it. I did get it resolved. Am I proud? No but
it was resolved.

Of course the consumer is the ultimate decision maker and we are all guilty
of being greedy. This allows and drives the companies selling the products
to demand, cheaper and cheaper tools. Manufactures try to comply, but they
do so with quality.

My latest project involves and old Bridgeport knee mill. A nice rugged 1977
American made unit. Noting like it today. Got it used and a lot cheaper
than any new Chinese crap. Clean it up a little paint and an update here
and there, and I will have a real machine, much better than any crap that is
hitting out shores. A 2900lb beast, were the equivalent Chinese import
would come in at 1300lbs.

To the real point at hand. Sears and Craftsman are CRAP. I fear every day
that my beloved Craftsman hand tool collection will meet its true worth when
Sears goes under.

end of rant

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Chris

EIDE,
You are my hero. I never knew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only one state North of ya so this is perfect.
Do they have stock?

The major question is are they the same as the German brands, or some
stripped down export stuff. A quick compare of these tools with the German
Festool site should do it.

Bad side is....not sure I want to go to Fall River. Than again for Festool,
I would.

What to replace first.

What to replace first.

What to replace first.

Thanks again,

John R. Carroll wrote:

[...]

John R. Carroll

"Chris" wrote in message

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

John,
Do I follow you? Are you saying we do not see Festool over here because
they do not want to play the crap game that is going on? I think I hear

you
right, Festool makes tools today like they would 40 years ago. I saved

for
that shop-vac and planned to use / have it the rest of my life (other
circumstances took it away from me). Germany has some very serious tools

in
use over there, Festool being one of them. Problem is the quality has a
price. I had a cordless drill from Festool as well and it was a gem. Use
to polish it every once in a while.

That's pretty much it Chris. The only thing I would add is that the market
is not completely monolithic. The US market has decided that value doesn't
really count but it isn't unanimous.
As you have seen in a subsequent post, they are here but not everywhere. You
will find there stuff wherever fine tools are sold and not in the big box
stores.

They also have a high tariff on imports, thus keeping some of the Chinese
crap out, and keeping jobs and quality in. If this were not so, there

would
not be a need for a Festool.

Yes they do and the reason this is so is that they have a clear
understanding, in my opinion, of the value to society of a robust, high
quality domestic source for tools. The English never allowed the manufacture
of finished goods in America. They knew full well that it would eventually
end our dependence and lead to our independence. They took raw materials
from us, added value and resold the finished goods. I can find a couple of
notable quotes from the day if you are interested. At the end of the day you
could say that G. Washington, B. Franklin, T. Jefferson and particularly
Alexander Hamilton "WalMarted" the English crown.

Might it not be that America is learning its lesson as far as tools go?
Could there not be a revolt, and some higher end tools be allowed to make

come back? Sure you will see Joe, us my drill twice a year, buying the
cheap crap, but others might jump in on the quality I would be game.

Would
I have as many tools as I do now? Probably not. I would rather buy
quality, and something to be proud of, than the cheap throw away crap that
is around today.

Yes you would but consider this. I served a complete 4 thousand hour tool
and die apprenticeship ( including the two years in the classroom) and
doubled at the University of Michigan in Mechanical Engineering and
Mathematics. I then spent my career working in the mold and molding
industries either on the floor or running a shop. Next, I partnered up with
a smart guy and we had our own small bussiness that did pretty well in the
end. The year I sold my shares, the companies sales were a smidge under
thirty million dollars. Pretty good wouldn't you say? OK fine.

Three years later I went home for a reunion. We all sat around and talked
about where we had been and what we had done. I got the distinct impression
that the old crew thought I had under achieved. In fact, my best friend in
high school and I had breakfast the next day and he asked me, he actually
said this mind you, "Jesus John, What the hell happened?". I didn't
understand him so he explained, " Yeah, all that education, all that
training and with your families money and connections you end up a MOLD
MAKER? What went wrong?"

I haven't spoken to Bob since. His exact attitude is what's the problem with
this country today and it's being encouraged.
That thinking is the only reason we have things like WalMart and Home Depot
today and until attitudes change we will continue to see much of what built
this country exported to those that do understand it's value.

You tell me, is America getting it or not. I vote not.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Gunner

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:20:39 -0500, "B.B."
u wrote:

The woman looked at it for a good while before finally asking:
"What's wrong with it?" This is a bad omen.
I set it down in two pieces and she's asking what's wrong with it?
What the ****? I say: "The handle came off." She picked it up, stuck
the handle back on and announced that she had fixed it. I took it back,
held it by the "fixed" handle, and let the pliers fall right back out,

A cheap bottle of Contact cement would cost less than the gas you used
to drive to Sears.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
B.B.

In article ,
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

B.B.,
Why, exactly, do you continue to torture yourself with these people? And yes
I remember the earlier thread.
Is the ability to exchange what was basically junk to begin with for fresh
junk your idea of good value or do you enjoy the game?

Eeh, I really have very few complaints with Sears tools. Their
crowfoot wrenches and drill bits are garbage, but everything else I've
picked up has been just fine. Truth be told, I've taken only a few
tools back to sears and most have been due entirely to my abuse. Like
the swivel on the impact, or a screwdriver I chiseled out a (small) bolt
with.
If I had access I'd most likely buy better quality tools, (and not
abuse them so) but right now my options are Craftsman, Stanley, Husky,
Matco, SnapOn, and any of the off-brands that share the shelves with
'em. In my experience Matco and Sears quality are comparable in the
smaller tools. Hell, I even have a bunch of stanley tools that have
endured terrific abuse.
But, if you know of any places in or around the Dallas/Fort Worth
area that offer what you'd consider high quality tools I'd be happy to
go investigate.
I don't exactly enjoy taking tools back to Sears for exchanges, but
it's a fairly rare thing for me to do and this Sears happens to be on
one of my regular routes.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

william_b_noble

this attitude is pretty pervasive - why do we value a sports personality
more than a teacher? or an engineer? or even a doctor? we have lost sight
of the fact that our nation had two key things going for it - resources and
creativity - now we've squandered the resources and we suppress the
creativity except in movies and art - Look around and you will see how
many people wouln't know which end of a hammer to hold, or how to use a
shovel. When the last "real" job is taken by an illegal imigrant because we
are too proud, laxy, or stupid to do the work, then we will know that our
days of greatness are over

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
.. .

snip

[...]

Nick Müller

Chris wrote:

You are my hero. I never knew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only one state North of ya so this is perfect.
Do they have stock?

Before you'r freaking out! :-))
http://www.festoolusa.com/

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Jon Danniken

"B.B." wrote:
I set it down in two pieces and she's asking what's wrong with it?
What the ****? I say: "The handle came off." She picked it up, stuck
the handle back on and announced that she had fixed it. I took it back,
held it by the "fixed" handle, and let the pliers fall right back out,
gouging a little chunk out of the pretty, polished counter.

I went to Sears to get a replacement for a 3/8" drive ratchet handle and
socket, both of which had gone south. The fellow at the counter looked at
my obviously broken ratchet, and then dug around in a toolbox by the
register.

He handed me an obviously used rachet handle, still with dirt on it, and
said, "Here you go."

I didn't go.

He said it was "refurbished", to which I said it "unnacceptable", and he
finally relented and got me a new one. As for the socket, they were out of
them on the shelf, so he went into the back room and "found" one. I was
almost out the door when I noticed wear marks on the inside of the socket
(where it contacts the nut).

Ended up having to order one there and have it mailed to me.

Bottom line is that Sears is a lot different than it used to be. It's
turned in to a big hassle to get them to honor their guarantee for hand
tools, as well as outright deceipt that used tools are being used as
replacements for damaged units.

Jon

Nick Müller

Nick Müller wrote:

http://www.festoolusa.com/

Oh, and before you buy the whole shop, you can ask me if you want (PM,
eMail is valid).
For example the TS 55 is much better than the ATF 55.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
John R. Carroll

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
In article ,
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Eeh, I really have very few complaints with Sears tools. Their
crowfoot wrenches and drill bits are garbage, but everything else I've
picked up has been just fine.

So you were looking for the cutie behing the counter after all :)

But, if you know of any places in or around the Dallas/Fort Worth
area that offer what you'd consider high quality tools I'd be happy to
go investigate.

See if you can find a way to ask the guys at the American Airlines shop. I
have been to Dallas but don't know it enough to point you better.
They should be able to give you the skinny on good tools and where to find
them. See if you can't find yourself some good Bondhus stuff for wrenches.

One other thing. You Texas brush poppers made me proud of you today . The
depth and breadth of the embrace extended to the unfortunates arriving in
Houston is truly awesome. Well done, and if it means anything, you have
made this American proud of you all and reminded me that the spirit that
made this country great isn't dead yet. My hat is off to you.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Nick Hull

In article ,
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

One other thing. You Texas brush poppers made me proud of you today . The
depth and breadth of the embrace extended to the unfortunates arriving in
Houston is truly awesome. Well done, and if it means anything, you have
made this American proud of you all and reminded me that the spirit that
made this country great isn't dead yet. My hat is off to you.

I want to see how much it costs to rebuild the Astrodome after the
'refugees' trash it.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Chris

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

One other thing. You Texas brush poppers made me proud of you today . The
depth and breadth of the embrace extended to the unfortunates arriving in
Houston is truly awesome. Well done, and if it means anything, you have
made this American proud of you all and reminded me that the spirit that
made this country great isn't dead yet. My hat is off to you.

I want to see how much it costs to rebuild the Astrodome after the
'refugees' trash it.

The seats will be appearing on eBay any moment.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

B.B.

In article ,
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

[...]

Bottom line is that Sears is a lot different than it used to be. It's
turned in to a big hassle to get them to honor their guarantee for hand
tools, as well as outright deceipt that used tools are being used as
replacements for damaged units.

I once took back a 1/2 ratchet. The little retainer ball had
shattered--probably a dud since the ratchet was brand new. They gave me
a used one that looked just as beat-up as possible, but it's held up
well enough. I figure it's a form of natural selection and the weaker
tools will eventually be weeded out.
But I do know that encounters with the Sears counter people are
wildly inconsistent. On the whole I've had more good than bad.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
B.B.

In article ,
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
In article ,
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Eeh, I really have very few complaints with Sears tools. Their
crowfoot wrenches and drill bits are garbage, but everything else I've
picked up has been just fine.

So you were looking for the cutie behing the counter after all :)

Hehe.

But, if you know of any places in or around the Dallas/Fort Worth
area that offer what you'd consider high quality tools I'd be happy to
go investigate.

See if you can find a way to ask the guys at the American Airlines shop. I
have been to Dallas but don't know it enough to point you better.
They should be able to give you the skinny on good tools and where to find
them. See if you can't find yourself some good Bondhus stuff for wrenches.

Thanks! I know Bondhus! I have a single hex key from them.
Unfortunately it's a size I never use. I guess I'll try another size.
(:

One other thing. You Texas brush poppers made me proud of you today . The
depth and breadth of the embrace extended to the unfortunates arriving in
Houston is truly awesome. Well done, and if it means anything, you have
made this American proud of you all and reminded me that the spirit that
made this country great isn't dead yet. My hat is off to you.

I'm headed down to Austin this weekend and I'm going to scrounge
around to see if I can actually volunteer somehow. If not then I'll
just mail off my next paycheck to the Red Cross.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Robin S.

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Nice chuck (Metabo branded, but looks like a Rohm). Long,
limber cord. Thanks, Robin.

Ned,

I'm glad it worked out for you. I use mine all the time and wouldn't give it
up for anything.

Regards,

Robin

Jeff Wisnia

Jon Danniken wrote:

"B.B." wrote:

[...]

I'll take the Devil's side here and state that if I were on the jury I'd
say that if the offered replacements were still usable tools then what
they did to you was not classy, but IMO satisfied the requirements of
their guarantee. Which, is, according to the fine print at the bottom of
this Craftsman Tool page:

http://tinyurl.com/9f53q

"If any Craftsman hand tool ever fails to give complete satisfaction,
return it for free repair or replacement."

Note that they don't specify the replacements will be brand new. :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)