Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default OT- concrete help

I've got a fair bit of experience forming and placing (NOT pouring!) flat
slabs with and without foundations.

But I've never figured out a particular trick -- placing a slab with a
distinct "step down", like from a house to a garage.

I am about to prep a floating slab for a new addition, and I need a 3-1/2"
stepdown from house to garage. I can see the rationale -- 2x4 lumber forms
the step. But I don't figure how I can keep the concrete from slumping past
the form, bulging up past the bottom, or how to keep the form anchored
during placement.

I'm sure someone on this forum knows how or knows where to find out how this
can be done well. How can I keep a clean and sharp surface on everything,
without "stake pockets" in the mud? Any help?

Thanks,
The pyrotechnics-automation guy,
LLoyd

Christopher Tidy

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I've got a fair bit of experience forming and placing (NOT pouring!) flat
slabs with and without foundations.

But I've never figured out a particular trick -- placing a slab with a
distinct "step down", like from a house to a garage.

I am about to prep a floating slab for a new addition, and I need a 3-1/2"
stepdown from house to garage. I can see the rationale -- 2x4 lumber forms
the step. But I don't figure how I can keep the concrete from slumping past
the form, bulging up past the bottom, or how to keep the form anchored
during placement.

I'm sure someone on this forum knows how or knows where to find out how this
can be done well. How can I keep a clean and sharp surface on everything,
without "stake pockets" in the mud? Any help?

Can you not pour the lower layer, allow it to set, then pour a 3.5"
layer on top? Just a thought - I'm not a concrete expert and I don't
know all the details of your project.

Chris

Lloyd, just as hint, concrete porch steps are made with the form upside
down and then put into place after the concrete has hardened.

Harry C.

Ken Sterling

I've got a fair bit of experience forming and placing (NOT pouring!) flat
slabs with and without foundations.

But I've never figured out a particular trick -- placing a slab with a
distinct "step down", like from a house to a garage.

I am about to prep a floating slab for a new addition, and I need a 3-1/2"
stepdown from house to garage. I can see the rationale -- 2x4 lumber forms
the step. But I don't figure how I can keep the concrete from slumping past
the form, bulging up past the bottom, or how to keep the form anchored
during placement.

I'm sure someone on this forum knows how or knows where to find out how this
can be done well. How can I keep a clean and sharp surface on everything,
without "stake pockets" in the mud? Any help?

Thanks,
The pyrotechnics-automation guy,
LLoyd

Forms are generally held in place with stakes (to the *outside* of the
intended step) and the concrete is poured a bit "stiff" to prevent the
slumping under the form. Fill up the area of the raised step first
with the stiff mix, screeding it off as necessary - and tapping on the
outside of the form lumber to give you a nice smooth face after the
form lumber is removed. Pour the rest of the slab after the step is
poured (and the crete is watered down just a little bit) saving a bit
to fill up the holes left by the "step form stakes". Of course this
is based on how big the remaining slab is. Sometimes you can support
the "step forms" from above or from the sides so the form can be
removed the next day or so without any "stakes" or "holes from stakes"
showing.
HTH
Ken.

RoyJ

If you can, form the step using a braced 2x4 (think 2x4 angle iron)
supported on both ends ouside the pour. If not, use 2 (maybe 3 if it's
over 10 feet) steel concrete stakes (cost about $3 each at a concrete
supplies place, substitute is 1/2" pipe with suitable nail holes) Bevel
the lower edge at 45 degrees so there is only about 1/4" of regular
surface left.

Have your redi mix truck give you some very low slump mix for the the
step area, pour that first. Then have him add some water and pour the
rest of the slab. By the time you get back to the step area, you can
pull the stakes, scree and float. You might want to brace the form
with a long 2x4. Pull the form just before you get to the final surface
finish.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I've got a fair bit of experience forming and placing (NOT pouring!) flat
slabs with and without foundations.

But I've never figured out a particular trick -- placing a slab with a
distinct "step down", like from a house to a garage.

I am about to prep a floating slab for a new addition, and I need a 3-1/2"
stepdown from house to garage. I can see the rationale -- 2x4 lumber forms
the step. But I don't figure how I can keep the concrete from slumping past
the form, bulging up past the bottom, or how to keep the form anchored
during placement.

I'm sure someone on this forum knows how or knows where to find out how this
can be done well. How can I keep a clean and sharp surface on everything,
without "stake pockets" in the mud? Any help?

Thanks,
The pyrotechnics-automation guy,
LLoyd

Bill Janssen

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I've got a fair bit of experience forming and placing (NOT pouring!) flat
slabs with and without foundations.

But I've never figured out a particular trick -- placing a slab with a
distinct "step down", like from a house to a garage.

I am about to prep a floating slab for a new addition, and I need a 3-1/2"
stepdown from house to garage. I can see the rationale -- 2x4 lumber forms
the step. But I don't figure how I can keep the concrete from slumping past
the form, bulging up past the bottom, or how to keep the form anchored
during placement.

I'm sure someone on this forum knows how or knows where to find out how this
can be done well. How can I keep a clean and sharp surface on everything,
without "stake pockets" in the mud? Any help?

Thanks,
The pyrotechnics-automation guy,
LLoyd

My uncle built steps to his basement. He used wire for reinforcing and a
rather dry mix. I don't
remember if he used any forms but you can "plaster" the wire with
concrete. Concrete boats are
built this way.

Good luck.
Bill K7NOM
Brian Lawson

Hey Lloyd,

I'd form it ALL up, pour the pad near the step first, then pour the
remainder of the pad, then pour the step when the pad part starts to
set up a bit. Don't vibrate too much. You can also put a stiff
plywood "cover" over the part where you think it might raise the pad,
to help make sure it stays down.

Or of course you could just do two pours.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 00:10:31 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

I've got a fair bit of experience forming and placing (NOT pouring!) flat
slabs with and without foundations.

But I've never figured out a particular trick -- placing a slab with a
distinct "step down", like from a house to a garage.

I am about to prep a floating slab for a new addition, and I need a 3-1/2"
stepdown from house to garage. I can see the rationale -- 2x4 lumber forms
the step. But I don't figure how I can keep the concrete from slumping past
the form, bulging up past the bottom, or how to keep the form anchored
during placement.

I'm sure someone on this forum knows how or knows where to find out how this
can be done well. How can I keep a clean and sharp surface on everything,
without "stake pockets" in the mud? Any help?

Thanks,
The pyrotechnics-automation guy,
LLoyd

How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Repairing concrete floor in shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 June 3rd 04 08:18 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM