Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
B.B.

Default Drilling technique

In one of my classes we're reflooring a trailer. Lucky me I get to
drill all the holes. #16 drill bit. 2" boards on top of steel frame
members about 1/8" thick. I'll drill the wood, clear the chips, then go
through and dill the frame. So far I've been sticking with relatively
low speed and high pressure. Is that the best way to do it, or should I
trade off for more speed/less pressure? A HSS bit will go about 40-50
holes before getting uselessly dull, but occasionally I'll strike a weld
over and old hole and that'll significantly shorten the drill's life
span.
Is 40-50 holes expected? Anything I can do about the welds short of
dumb luck?

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Drilling floor tiles TonyK UK diy 5 January 28th 05 11:22 PM
drilling deep 3/4" holes Bob Woodworking 43 September 30th 04 04:02 PM
Technique for drilling with cobalt bits Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 30 October 25th 03 08:28 PM
SDS drilling, tips on how to use. Slugsie UK diy 8 October 9th 03 09:54 PM
Drilling through a steel pipe. Harold & Susan Vordos Metalworking 3 October 1st 03 06:24 PM