R.H.

Default What is it? LV - new

Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

308: Decorative hanger.

309: Doorstop

311: Tool for removing a flange without crushing pipe?

312: There's no mystery; the C.G. of each piece (plus that of those
above it) is above a solid part of the structure below.

313: Coping saw

314: Mechanical calculator.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

#308: ??
#309: Automotive body dolly
#310: Pencil sharpener
#311: Special hole punch, maybe for button snaps?
#312: The weights of the lower pieces keep them in place. The top piece
only has to be supported by the piece below it.
#313: Spark plug file?
#314: Dunno.
Pete C.

"R.H." wrote:

Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

308. Gauge add-ons that clamp onto a framing square for laying out stair
stringers and similar.

309. Body dolly used with a hammer for shaping sheet metal, particularly
on cars.

310. Perspective is screwy, possibly a cutter for making tapered wooden
pegs or for sizing a dowel.

311. Torture device and/or drilling guide of some sort.

312. As noted previously, the C.G. of each piece is over the piece
below.

313. Looks like a small hacksaw, perhaps specialized for cutting a
particular type of material. The blade appears too wide for it to be a
coping saw.

314. Not sure, looks expensive.

Pete C.
Teamcasa

308 Stair Guides
309 Dolly - Metalworking
310 Pencil Sharpener
311 Leather Punch?
312 Its laying on its side
313 Bone Saw?
314 Mechanical Calculator

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Carl G.

"R.H." wrote in message
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

308 Clamp on stops.
309 Draftsman spline weight (duck, whale, knot)
310 Inside view of a pencil sharpener
311 Gasket punch
312 One could overhang any amount, given enough blocks (1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 +
1/5... is infinite)
313 Perhaps a saw, file, or gapping tool, but have no guess for its exact
purpose.
314 Curta mechanical calculator. See:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...aman.html#strt

powerbus

308- I'm not sure, but I have a couple of them around here myself
309- looks like a cobbler's heel last
310- pencil sharpener
311- looks like something to cut holes in and mark leather for grommets

Rhiannon

Justin

Jim C Roberts

Here goes nothin',

308. Don't know official name, but they are placed on a framing square to
layout stair treads.

309. A dolly for metal working. It resembles my heel dolly, but with more
rounded corners.

310. Don't know what this one is, looks like the material is brass, no size
given.

311. Looks like a leather (or gasket) punch with extra "spikes", possibly
for a fastener, maybe a snap?

312. The way the pieces are aligned makes it hard to tell the size of the
pieces, that is probably intentional. My only guess is that the pieces get
smaller as they go up.

313. Miniature hacksaw, very handy.

314. Haven't a clue, although based on recent posts I might hazard a guess
that it is photographic in nature.

Jim

Kenneth

#314 is a curta pocket calculator. Designed by a guy while he was in a

R.H. wrote:
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add

all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

311 is a grommet punch for sewn grommets in canvas (?).

307 is an adjustable trammel point.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Dave Jackson

#308: ??
#309: Automotive body dolly
#310: Pencil sharpener
#311: Special hole punch, maybe for button snaps?
#312: The weights of the lower pieces keep them in place. The top piece
only has to be supported by the piece below it.
#313: Spark plug file?
#314: Dunno.

Andy Asberry

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:23:58 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From RCM

311 is a punch for installing the eyelet portion of a turnbutton
canvas fastener. The round part punches the hole and the flat chisels
punch slots for the clincher plate prongs.
Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

308. Stops for use on a framing square to cut rafters. Well polished.
309. Dolly for body or sheetmetal work.
310. Inside view of a hand pencil sharpener
311. Hole punch
312. Anti-gravity
313. Fret saw
314. This one's pretty easy to cheat on, so I'll pass.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Lone Biker Of The Apocalypse

308. Square stops for a framing square

309. Metal dolly used to back a hammer for auto bodywork

310. Pencil sharpener

311. Grommet punch

312. The center of mass is still centered

313. Curta rotary Calculator

Jeff Wisnia

R.H. wrote:
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

314: Curta Calculator. Made in Lichenstein. This is the smaller of the
two sizes which were popular with "Time Speed Distance" sports car
rallyists (like SWMBO and me) in the pre-electronic calculator days. I
still have mine in the closet. It has a hole in the bottom plate because
I built an motor driven cranker for it so that each time a speedometer
cable driven microswitch clicked off a hundreth of a mile the Curta got
cranked one turn and added in a preset minutes/mph factor to a running
total. Varying the car's speed to keep that total matched to a stopwatch
kept us right where we should be in time.

312: the mathemetician's answer would be that it represents the infinite
series 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

John Hofstad-Parkhill

308. Is near to my heart.

I put a copy of the ad I just purchased on eBay at
http://hofstadparkhill.com

The two-piece set of gauges was a device marketed by my great
grandfather. When his son Robert passed, my brother and I collected
several bits from the estate. I purchased all of the bits for these
gauges at the estate auction, the firmly entrenched bidder finally gave
when he saw the look of determination in my eyes.

I captured several of the patent documents, some of which my son Patrick
has set for display. Many of the flyers, some of the tooling he used to
manufacture these, and several sets, of several varieties of the gauges.

They clamp on the framing square, what you can't see in the ad, is the
gauges are tapered just so, so that where they are set is quite nicely
set to the edge of the board. The longer gauge - with an attached tongue
was the unique feature. It was a simple scale with numbered marks. If
you want a 5-sided figure, you set the mark to "5", and the angle was
set. If you wanted an 8-sided figure, you set the mark to "8", etc.

My great grandfather John Parkhill built homes in Rochester. Grand
victorian homes with spires, and a variety of architectural features.
Dormers, ... I can't name them all.

Years ago in "the wreck" I sent out a couple of copies. I've since
disposed of 90% of the units. It was a sad moment, but it was clear that
800lbs of memories wouldn't do anything but sit & rust.

I still use them. They were functional 100 years ago, and today. I even
have a couple of the framing squares my great grandfather used. One I
passed down to my eldest son. One I hope stays with the family for
another century.

R.H. said the following on 3/30/2005 3:23 PM:
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Barbara Bailey

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:23:58 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

310 appears to be the operative bit of a pencil sharpener.

JohnM

R.H. wrote:
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

I think 311 is a hollow punch for cutting washers from leather- the
teeth would give reference marks for the larger punch so that the hole
was centered in the washer.

John

#308 Square gauges - used to put a setting on a carpenter's square
(e.g. when laying out stair stringers). Lee Valley has something
similar:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...936,42944&ap=1

The ones I own are like the ones in the picture (octagonal)

#309 dolly for bodywork?

#311 leather washer punch?

#312 principle of the corbelled arch. Gravity & mass.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Mark and Kim Smith

Ayup! Came to me after I posted.

#308: ??
#309: Automotive body dolly
#310: Pencil sharpener
#311: Special hole punch, maybe for button snaps?
#312: The weights of the lower pieces keep them in place. The top piece
only has to be supported by the piece below it.
#313: Spark plug file?
#314: Dunno.

John Husvar

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

308 - pair of markers for a framing square. Handy for laying out stairs,
rafter angle cuts, etc.

309 - Auto body dolly?

311 - Leather punch for openings for grommets?
AL

308. You clamp them to a framing square.

309. Car body shop hammer for tight places.

314. Mechanical calculator. One of my math profs had one.

307. You clamp two of them to a straight edge and get a giant compass.

"R.H." wrote in message
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

Five of the objects have been correctly identified so far:

308. Brass stair/square gauges

309. This one was marked "body iron", as several replies have stated
it's for body work on cars, I'm still trying to find one like it on the
web.

310. Pencil sharpener

311. Cobbler's/leatherworker's punch

312. There is more overhang in this stack of wood than you could
normally get, though with nothing to compare it to I guess it's hard to
tell. I'd like to change the question here to: What design feature was
used to maximize the horizontal overhang?

313. No correct answers yet, it wasn't made for cutting but was used
circa 1890 for another purpose. Thanks to Bill for submitting this
one.

314. Curta Mechanical Calculator, thanks to Mark for sending in this
photo, and also for the surveyor's double prism optical square, from
last week's set.

Rob

R.H.

My only guess is that the pieces get smaller as they go up

The pieces are all the same size.

Rob

R.H.

312 One could overhang any amount, given enough blocks (1/2 + 1/3 +
1/4 + 1/5... is infinite)

On paper this is true, but in real life it doesn't seem like anyone
could get the top piece offset by more than two or three lengths.
According to "Omni Games", "for three lengths you would need 227
pieces", and that's probably calculated using the exact fractions.
When actually stacking them, it works better to pull the pieces back
about an 1/8 of an inch, otherwise the structure becomes unstable very
easily. According to the same book, for a ten length offset you would
need 1.5 x 10^44 pieces!

I've searched the web looking for sites that show people stacking wood
to get the most overhang, but all I could find were a couple math
related sites with no pictures. Anyone know of a web page that has
photos of folks stacking things in this fashion? Seems like it would
be a good classroom or scouting activity.

Rob

313 looks to light duty to be used on any kind of wood.

I'll wager it's to shape the end of candles.

Patrick Hamlyn

"R.H." wrote:

312. There is more overhang in this stack of wood than you could
normally get, though with nothing to compare it to I guess it's hard to
tell. I'd like to change the question here to: What design feature was
used to maximize the horizontal overhang?

Velcro? It's what I'd use.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere
R.H.

I'll wager it's to shape the end of candles.

This one isn't for use on candles.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:23:58 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted some new photos:

311.
Fitting tool for "Lift the Dot" fasteners (hood covers on British sportscars)

I've seen and used these things many times, but only with home-made tools. I've never seen the "original" tool in the
wild.
R.H.

311.
Fitting tool for "Lift the Dot" fasteners (hood covers on British

sportscars)
I've seen and used these things many times, but only with home-made

tools. I've never seen the "original" tool in the wild.

The guy I bought it from had it in a box of full of old cobbler's tools
but I'm sure that this one was also used for other purposes than making
shoes.

Rob

Wood Butcher

312. Assuming no glue, some sort of fastner was used ...

The center of gravity of all the boards above the top
right corner of any individual board is to the left of that
point.

Also plausible:
An interlocking joint was used.

It is a trick photo and the table is not level, the right side
is higher than the left. Or the camera is looking down
on the stack.

There is airflow from the right which provides pressure
to hold the stack up.

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
snip
312. There is more overhang in this stack of wood than you could
normally get, though with nothing to compare it to I guess it's hard to
tell. I'd like to change the question here to: What design feature was
used to maximize the horizontal overhang?

Wood Butcher

One more possibility.
The boards are not rectangles.
They are triangles with the base to the left and the
points to the right.

Art

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
312. Assuming no glue, some sort of fastner was used ...

The center of gravity of all the boards above the top
right corner of any individual board is to the left of that
point.

Also plausible:
An interlocking joint was used.

It is a trick photo and the table is not level, the right side
is higher than the left. Or the camera is looking down
on the stack.

There is airflow from the right which provides pressure
to hold the stack up.

Art

"R.H." wrote in message
snip
312. There is more overhang in this stack of wood than you could
normally get, though with nothing to compare it to I guess it's hard to
tell. I'd like to change the question here to: What design feature was
used to maximize the horizontal overhang?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Please reply to this thread and ignore the other one, I forgot to add all
the groups in my first attempt.

Just posted some new photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

308) Fasten onto a square to allow repeatable layout of stair steps into the
support beam.

309) Bodywork "dolly" used to back up sheet metal as it is "dinged"
(hammered) to straighten out the results of an accident.

310) Pencil sharpener as seen by the about-to-be-sharpened pencil.
Looks like one of the nicer ones with a bronze body. But not
one of the nicest ones, which have an adjustable point stop to
select how sharp a point you will produce.

311) Punch -- and it looks like the kind used to prepare a mounting
point for a snap fastener of the kind used on tonneau covers and
hoods (folding tops) for convertibles. It produces a hole in
the cloth to clear the pin that the snap fits over, and the snap
mechanism, and punches four slits in the cloth to accept tongues
from the outer portion of the snap to pass through slots in the
other half prior to being bent over to lock it in place.

312) The curve formed by the pieces allows more wood on the left
to counterbalance the greater extension to the right of the few
pieces. There may be magnets or velcro to aid, but I don't
think that it would be necessary with this stacking pattern.

313) Saw -- probably metal cutting (based on the tooth pitch) for
use in close quarters.

314) ***** B * I * N * G * O *****
I *want* that. I've wanted one since I first read about them.
It is a Curta mechanical calculator -- a wonderful example of
mechanical engineering and miniaturization. It adds, subtracts,
multiplies and divides many-digit numbers. With some tricks, it
even will do square roots. That is a *major* collector's item.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
R.H.

There are a number of them for sale on ebay right now, the cheapest one
is at just less than $500 dollars.

R.H.

The boards are not rectangles.
They are triangles with the base to the left and the points to the

right.

Correct, the pieces aren't triangles but you've got the right idea,
they are wider on the back end and thinner on the front.

There is a photo of the stack from a different angle he

http://pzphotosan58.blogspot.com/

I also posted a link to the site where I got the idea for this project.

Rob

Brian Lawson

Hey ob,

Can we have a little better "size" description for # 313. I first
took your description to be an overall measurement, but looking more
closely I see no "teeth" in what is apparently the blade, so my
thought is that is just the blade that is 3-1/4". True?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 31 Mar 2005 15:27:26 -0800, "R.H." wrote:

[...]

R.H.

The overall size of #313 is 3-1/4" and the "blade" (just a very thin
piece of blued steel with no teeth) is 1-1/2" long. Probably not much
use for this one today, though over 100 years ago it served a useful
purpose.

Rob

Matthew Russotto

In article .com,
R.H. wrote:

312. There is more overhang in this stack of wood than you could
normally get, though with nothing to compare it to I guess it's hard to
tell. I'd like to change the question here to: What design feature was
used to maximize the horizontal overhang?

Weights hidden in the blocks?

313. No correct answers yet, it wasn't made for cutting but was used
circa 1890 for another purpose. Thanks to Bill for submitting this
one.

Horseshoe remover?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
R.H.

Weights hidden in the blocks?

That would work, but there are no weights in the wood pieces.

Horseshoe remover?

This one isn't for removing horseshoes.

Joe AutoDrill

Horseshoe remover?

This one isn't for removing horseshoes.

Camelshoe, Yakshoe or mother-in-law shoe remover?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com