Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
DeepDiver

Default Recommendations for a floor-standing drill press (in USA)?

I've long wanted a nice floor-standing drill press, but haven't ever had an
absolute requirement for one, so I've been making do without. Now, I may be
needing a floor-standing drill press for a particular job.

(More about the job in another post. But for now, know that I'll be
enlarging a lot of holes from 1/2" diameter to 5/8" diameter in 1/4" thick,
type 316, stainless steel plate.)

Does anyone have any recommendations (or models to avoid)?

I'm probably looking for a unit in the $500 range, although I may be able to
go higher. Large swing is not critical for this job, but obviously, I'd want
as much capacity as possible for future jobs. A square table is required,
and I'd prefer parallel t-slots like a milling table, rather than the radial
ones that are common on smaller units.

It would be really, REALLY nice if it had an R8 spindle, but I suspect
that's not likely outside of mill/drill machines. Any other features I
should be looking to get/avoid?

Also, it can't be something too rare or exotic (i.e., long time to
order/receive, as I will need it within a couple of weeks).

Thanks,
Michael