Karl Townsend

Default hydraulic chuck - polishing bore and ram

The 16" hydraulic chuck on my Mazak won't make full stroke. So I've spent
eight hours removing and disassembling it. What a job!

Anyway, swarf had gotten between the ram and bore on the chuck and left
faint gouge track marks. These two pieces are hardened and ground to a very
tight fit. Press fit taking it offG. You can easily see the tracks but it
takes the edge of your fingernail to feel them.

How would you take these out? The bore is 6" diameter by 3" deep. I don't
want to be at this forever. Anyway to chuck it up in the lathe and power
polish?

Karl

williamhenry

I would hone the bore or find someone who does
very important to maintain concentricity

does the ram use any type of seal between it and the bore?

too much clearance in this area can cause lot of different problems

Robert Swinney

How about carefully running a flap wheel inside (evenly) until most of the
scores polish out. I saw a Bridgeport technician do this once on a mill
under warranty.

Bob Swinney
"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message k.net...
The 16" hydraulic chuck on my Mazak won't make full stroke. So I've spent
eight hours removing and disassembling it. What a job!

Anyway, swarf had gotten between the ram and bore on the chuck and left
faint gouge track marks. These two pieces are hardened and ground to a
very tight fit. Press fit taking it offG. You can easily see the tracks
but it takes the edge of your fingernail to feel them.

How would you take these out? The bore is 6" diameter by 3" deep. I don't
want to be at this forever. Anyway to chuck it up in the lathe and power
polish?

Karl

Grant Erwin

Karl Townsend wrote:

The 16" hydraulic chuck on my Mazak won't make full stroke. So I've spent
eight hours removing and disassembling it. What a job!

Anyway, swarf had gotten between the ram and bore on the chuck and left
faint gouge track marks. These two pieces are hardened and ground to a very
tight fit. Press fit taking it offG. You can easily see the tracks but it
takes the edge of your fingernail to feel them.

How would you take these out? The bore is 6" diameter by 3" deep. I don't
want to be at this forever. Anyway to chuck it up in the lathe and power
polish?

Karl

Karl, there's only one "right" way to do this - hone it out, replate,
hone it out .. very expensive, but that's the only correct way. Or live
with it, of course. Cleaned up, it will last much longer.

GWE
Anthony

wrote in k.net:

The 16" hydraulic chuck on my Mazak won't make full stroke. So I've
spent eight hours removing and disassembling it. What a job!

Anyway, swarf had gotten between the ram and bore on the chuck and
left faint gouge track marks. These two pieces are hardened and ground
to a very tight fit. Press fit taking it offG. You can easily see
the tracks but it takes the edge of your fingernail to feel them.

How would you take these out? The bore is 6" diameter by 3" deep. I
don't want to be at this forever. Anyway to chuck it up in the lathe
and power polish?

The clearance between the bore and the plunger and the concentricity of
the bore to the jaws, determines the accuracy of your chuck. ANY
excessive clearance between the bore and plunger will show up as
concentricity variation in the clamped workpiece.
You can hone off any high ridges, but you do not want to enlarge the bore
any at all.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

DaveB

wrote in k.net:

[...]

We did this not long ago and purchased a new housing, wasn't as
expensive as we thought and turned out great.

Regards

Daveb