Anthony

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply
wrote in k.net:

The 16" hydraulic chuck on my Mazak won't make full stroke. So I've
spent eight hours removing and disassembling it. What a job!

Anyway, swarf had gotten between the ram and bore on the chuck and
left faint gouge track marks. These two pieces are hardened and ground
to a very tight fit. Press fit taking it offG. You can easily see
the tracks but it takes the edge of your fingernail to feel them.

How would you take these out? The bore is 6" diameter by 3" deep. I
don't want to be at this forever. Anyway to chuck it up in the lathe
and power polish?

The clearance between the bore and the plunger and the concentricity of
the bore to the jaws, determines the accuracy of your chuck. ANY
excessive clearance between the bore and plunger will show up as
concentricity variation in the clamped workpiece.
You can hone off any high ridges, but you do not want to enlarge the bore
any at all.

--
Anthony

better idiots.