Randy Replogle

Default t-slot covers?

When I arrived at my current job I found the leftovers of a roll (?) of a
soft plastic t-slot filling material. It pressed into the t-slots leaving a
surface flush with the table top which kept the chips easy to just brush
off. I haven't been able to find anything like it. Anyone know who might
sell it?
Randy

john

Dave August wrote:

It's easier just to make a couple of covers for your table. Most of us keep
out vice in the same place all the time, so ya just contour the ends ta
match it's profile.
Several of my friends us masonite, one has aluminum that he put a rubber top
on to be nice to tooling.
Plastic works well too. I've been thinking of making some new ones out of
the masonite that's got a white plastic coating on it.. Then I could
scribble 'white borad' notes right on the table.. LOL...

FWIW my lathe has T-slots on the cross slide, but has plenty of room at
either end so I made super long T-thingies to slide in it...

Dave

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
When I arrived at my current job I found the leftovers of a roll (?) of a
soft plastic t-slot filling material. It pressed into the t-slots leaving
a surface flush with the table top which kept the chips easy to just brush
off. I haven't been able to find anything like it. Anyone know who might
sell it?
Randy

I got a masonite one with a strip of wood on the bottom that fits in the
t slot. the wood holds the masonite on the table and it wont move or
slip.

John

john

Garlicdude wrote:

john wrote:

I got a masonite one with a strip of wood on the bottom that fits in the
t slot. the wood holds the masonite on the table and it wont move or
slip.

John

Digital, or analog masonite??

--
Regards,
Steve Saling

Metric
Brian Lawson

Hey Randy,

I've got some similar stuff, from maybe ten years back. But it came
in table lengths, or maybe 5 or 6 feet, but not a long coil/roll. I
cut mine up into a variety of lengths to suit different vise/rotary
table/angle plate arrangements, so I don't have a "full piece" to
measure for you. As far as I can recall, it came from KBC, but I note
they don't list it now in their catalogue.

There is an aluminum type still available, but it is not flexible.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:12:45 GMT, "Randy Replogle"
wrote:

When I arrived at my current job I found the leftovers of a roll (?) of a
soft plastic t-slot filling material. It pressed into the t-slots leaving a
surface flush with the table top which kept the chips easy to just brush
off. I haven't been able to find anything like it. Anyone know who might
sell it?
Randy

Cliff

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:13:28 -0500, john
wrote:

the wood holds

Termites?
--
Cliff
Garlicdude

Dave August wrote:

It's easier just to make a couple of covers for your table. Most of us keep
out vice in the same place all the time, so ya just contour the ends ta
match it's profile.

Dave, I take it your refering to Bridgeport type mills. In my opinion a
better stratagey is to move the vise off center on the table in the X
axis. Alternate sides every so often to spread the wear over a longer
length so when you need to do some longer work you don't develop a
rotator cuff problem.

Extra points for moving ram in and out occasionaly to spread the wear
over the Y axis.

--
Regards,
Steve Saling
aka The Garlic Dude ©
Gilroy, CA
The Garlic Capital of The World
http://www.pulsareng.com/

Mitch

I got a masonite one with a strip of wood on the bottom that fits in the
t slot. the wood holds the masonite on the table and it wont move or
slip.

John

Masonite resists oil and coolant?

--Mitch

Pedroman

I use the rubber (vinyl) T-moldings you use to make countertops. Works like
a champ, cheap and I got mine at the cabinet shop around the corner for a
six pack.

Pedroman

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
. com...
Is it either of the items on the right side of this page?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=1643

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
When I arrived at my current job I found the leftovers of a roll (?) of a
soft plastic t-slot filling material. It pressed into the t-slots leaving
a surface flush with the table top which kept the chips easy to just
brush off. I haven't been able to find anything like it. Anyone know who
might sell it?
Randy

Dave August

Garlic dude,

Set the vice over some ammount, (pick your number)

When ya swap it , swap the covers :-)

Dave

Dave, I take it your refering to Bridgeport type mills. In my opinion a
better stratagey is to move the vise off center on the table in the X
axis. Alternate sides every so often to spread the wear over a longer
length so when you need to do some longer work you don't develop a
rotator cuff problem.

Extra points for moving ram in and out occasionaly to spread the wear
over the Y axis.

Dave August

No those are things to cove the ways in the back of the tabel (whick I also
have even though the BP has it's cool sliding covers)

Makes it really easy to clean up after working, ya don't have to dig stuff
outta the dovetails :-)

Dave

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
. com...
Is it either of the items on the right side of this page?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=1643

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

Keith Marshall

No those are things to cove the ways in the back of the tabel (whick I
also have even though the BP has it's cool sliding covers)

Oops, I missed that the 1st 2 were way covers. I was mostly looking at the
3rd one down on the right. It's called Table Guard & Tote and is made to
cover the table and fits into the T-slots. Doesn't sound like it's the same
as what you're looking for but seems to serve the same purpose.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Dave August" wrote in message
.. .
No those are things to cove the ways in the back of the tabel (whick I
also have even though the BP has it's cool sliding covers)

Makes it really easy to clean up after working, ya don't have to dig stuff
outta the dovetails :-)

Dave

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
. com...
Is it either of the items on the right side of this page?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=1643

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

Daniel A. Mitchell

john wrote:

Dave August wrote:

[...]

I got a couple of heavy plastic food serving trays (they come in lots of
sizes) and contoured the ends to fit around the vise as you suggest. On
the bottom I put a wooden key that engages the center T-slot so they
don't fall off. They allow you to put tools and parts on the machine
without knicking up the tables, and keep chips out of the T-slots.
They're easily cleaned with a shop vac, or just by dumping into a trash
container. I've been using the same pair for over ten years.

Most of these ideas don't work well if you use a lot of coolant,
especially 'flood' coolant. Most mill tables use the T-slots as part of
the coolant drain system. Most of my work is done dry, or with brush or
spray botttle applied coolant, so it's not a problem.

Dan Mitchell
============
Daniel A. Mitchell

wrote:

When I arrived at my current job I found the leftovers of a roll (?) of a
soft plastic t-slot filling material. It pressed into the t-slots leaving a
surface flush with the table top which kept the chips easy to just brush
off. I haven't been able to find anything like it. Anyone know who might
sell it?
Randy

I've seen this stuff for sale, but only in a size to fit the popular
Bridgeport type machines. Many machines have other sized T-slots, both
larger and smaller. I have, at home or at work, seven t-slotted
machines, and NO two have the same size T-slots (it's a pain).

Dan Mitchell
============
Wayne

The ones that Enco sales are aluminum with holes for drainage, there are
listed he
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=239-9010

everydayjoe wrote:

as I recall I got my slot covers from www.use-enco.com

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
When I arrived at my current job I found the leftovers of a roll (?) of a
soft plastic t-slot filling material. It pressed into the t-slots leaving
a surface flush with the table top which kept the chips easy to just brush
off. I haven't been able to find anything like it. Anyone know who might
sell it?
Randy

Randy Replogle

"Wayne" wrote in message ...
The ones that Enco sales are aluminum with holes for drainage, there are
listed he
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=239-9010

I saw those and might get some. The stuff I'm talking about is like a soft
plastic rectangular tubing. I've used masonite before but I think it might
dissolve in coolant. Maybe I could press some lengths of garden hose in the
slots or some flat bars of PVC or something cheap.
Randy

Anthony

"Randy Replogle" wrote in

I saw those and might get some. The stuff I'm talking about is like a
soft plastic rectangular tubing. I've used masonite before but I think
it might dissolve in coolant. Maybe I could press some lengths of
garden hose in the slots or some flat bars of PVC or something cheap.
Randy

Check with some of the extrusion manufacturers, i.e. Bosch, 80/20,
FlexLink, etc. They offer plastic covers for the T-Slots in the
extrusions, maybe you can find one that will work on the mill slots.
These will be in a double-leg T or square U, with little lips on the ends
of the legs to hook into the T

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Ken Sterling

I saw those and might get some. The stuff I'm talking about is like a soft
plastic rectangular tubing. I've used masonite before but I think it might
dissolve in coolant. Maybe I could press some lengths of garden hose in the
slots or some flat bars of PVC or something cheap.
Randy

Keep in mind that you don't just have to "close up" the slots. You
can cover the "entire top" of the table and just have one or two
"guides" mounted to the bottom of the "table top" to fit into the
T-nut slots (it doesn't even have to be a tight fit). This way,
the entire top (except for the vise or other holding fixtures) is
covered and can easily be brushed into a dustpan or whatever.
I don't think I would want to fight with individual little "slot
covers" when an entire top would protect the whole table top from
falling bits, wrenches, etc.
Ken.

Boris Beizer

"Wayne" wrote in message

The ones that Enco sales are aluminum with holes for drainage, there are
listed he
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=239-9010

I machined a whole bunch out of mahogony. The wood is very porous and
absorbs oils and coolant. Teak would also be good. Works great. Lasts a
long time (over 15 years on some). Cost is nil.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com

Bing

Anthony wrote in
:

Check with some of the extrusion manufacturers, i.e. Bosch, 80/20,
FlexLink, etc. They offer plastic covers for the T-Slots in the
extrusions, maybe you can find one that will work on the mill slots.
These will be in a double-leg T or square U, with little lips on the
ends of the legs to hook into the T

A cheap alternative are the T type aluminum pieces that are used in drop
ceilings. They can be cut easily and can be found in most dumpsters or
landfills.

Geesh, I'm startin to sound like Gunner now. But, hey if its free its for
me!

Bing

turning a narrow slot Ian Stirling Metalworking 3 August 1st 04 05:20 PM
slot board brackets ? TomG Woodworking 1 April 21st 04 07:02 PM
Tool wanted to cut metal slot Jan UK diy 15 March 11th 04 08:49 PM
Cheap table saw miter slot question Mike W. Woodworking 7 November 1st 03 09:55 PM
Putting a small slot in wood Robert Smith Woodworking 12 October 25th 03 01:54 AM