Jaggy Taggy

Default Milling acrylic

Every now and then I have to mill air channels into 1/4 acrylic sheets,
which afterwards are being glued up for air manifolds.
The pieces are strips of 2" X 18" and I need to make 17" long slots 1/4"
wide all the way thru as well as 3/4 depressions about .050" deep.

Once I did this on a router but it is too fast and gums up the material.
Now I try a milling machine, but I am still wondering about the right
speed/feed as well of course about a clever way to hold down such shapes on
the table.

I would appreciate help in this matter

Uwe

Mike Fields

"Jaggy Taggy" wrote in message
Every now and then I have to mill air channels into 1/4 acrylic sheets,
which afterwards are being glued up for air manifolds.
The pieces are strips of 2" X 18" and I need to make 17" long slots 1/4"
wide all the way thru as well as 3/4 depressions about .050" deep.

Once I did this on a router but it is too fast and gums up the material.
Now I try a milling machine, but I am still wondering about the right
speed/feed as well of course about a clever way to hold down such shapes

on
the table.

I would appreciate help in this matter

Uwe

Several options come to mind -- if it is a straight slot, you can use
a table saw with a dado blade in it. I have used a router with
acrylic before, but the solution is somewhat counter-intuitive --
you have to go FAST not slow. Use a sharp cutter and feed it
fast -- if you go fast, the chips carry the heat away - if you go slow,
you get "melted pizza cheese"

mikey

PrecisionMachinisT

"Jaggy Taggy" wrote in message

Now I try a milling machine, but I am still wondering about the right
speed/feed as well of course about a clever way to hold down such shapes

on
the table.

Tried double stick tape ?

--

SVL

Rex B

Jaggy Taggy wrote:
Every now and then I have to mill air channels into 1/4 acrylic sheets,
which afterwards are being glued up for air manifolds.
The pieces are strips of 2" X 18" and I need to make 17" long slots 1/4"
wide all the way thru as well as 3/4 depressions about .050" deep.

Once I did this on a router but it is too fast and gums up the material.
Now I try a milling machine, but I am still wondering about the right
speed/feed as well of course about a clever way to hold down such shapes on
the table.

I would appreciate help in this matter

Uwe

For holddown a vacuum table would be ideal, with a raised frame around
the perimeter of your application..
Easy to make one custom for your application.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Jaggy Taggy wrote:
Every now and then I have to mill air channels into 1/4 acrylic

sheets,
which afterwards are being glued up for air manifolds.
The pieces are strips of 2" X 18" and I need to make 17" long slots

1/4"
wide all the way thru as well as 3/4 depressions about .050" deep.

Once I did this on a router but it is too fast and gums up the

material.
Now I try a milling machine, but I am still wondering about the right
speed/feed as well of course about a clever way to hold down such

shapes on
the table.

I would appreciate help in this matter

Uwe

Its ALL about the tooling with Acrylic and many other plastics.
Have a look around at this site: http://www.antaresinc.net/

There is a link that shows industrial tooling, and then sharpened
tools. You will have excellent success with their Parallel single flute
"D" blank cutters.

They have some really good information in their "fact Sheets" link.

Others sell "D" blank tooling, but that is the only quick site I could
connect you with.

(crown cutters is another)

Chris L