Eric R Snow

Default New plasma cutter & homemade consumables.

I bit the bullet and bought a new Thermal Dynamics 101 plasma cutter.
It uses a pilot arc rather than high frequency to establish the arc so
it is suitable for eventual use as a CNC driven cutter. The manual
says not to waste time getting the arc to the work because it wears
away the electrode. It also has a quick disconnect torch so it will be
easier to swap between manual and automatic use. I wonder if anyone
has made any of their own consumables? If I can figure out how to make
my own I'll post it.
Cheers,
eric
Don Foreman

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:42:44 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I bit the bullet and bought a new Thermal Dynamics 101 plasma cutter.
It uses a pilot arc rather than high frequency to establish the arc so
it is suitable for eventual use as a CNC driven cutter. The manual
says not to waste time getting the arc to the work because it wears
away the electrode. It also has a quick disconnect torch so it will be
easier to swap between manual and automatic use. I wonder if anyone
has made any of their own consumables? If I can figure out how to make
my own I'll post it.

Some of the consumables are made of or contain hafnium; pretty exotic
stuff.
Steve Peterson

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
news
I bit the bullet and bought a new Thermal Dynamics 101 plasma cutter.
It uses a pilot arc rather than high frequency to establish the arc so
it is suitable for eventual use as a CNC driven cutter. The manual
says not to waste time getting the arc to the work because it wears
away the electrode. It also has a quick disconnect torch so it will be
easier to swap between manual and automatic use. I wonder if anyone
has made any of their own consumables? If I can figure out how to make
my own I'll post it.
Cheers,
eric

Eric
Congrats on the TD 101. I have had a 81 on a CNC table for a couple of
years and have had good service from it. There are several Yahoo groups
discussing plasma cutters and CNC tables. plasmacutting and piginfo are two.
One thing I might suggest when you are cutting lighter material is to run a
40 amp tip at 35 to 40 amps.The plasma cutter can cut faster than you can
move your hand while cutting say 16 ga. at full amps. The other suggestion
is to clean your start cartridge contact surface with a 3M scuff pad when
changing tips. Happy cutting and protect your eyes and lungs!
Steve

Eric R Snow

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:23:43 -0600, "Steve Peterson" 123@nospam
wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for the info Steve. I will be using the machine in a well
venilated situation.
Eric