DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Before you shoot cats.... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/95284-re-before-you-shoot-cats.html)

Ed Huntress April 20th 05 06:27 AM

"Gunner" wrote in message

You sound like a liberal making excuses that he can't get a job and stand

on
his own feet, Gunner.

shrug..and you once again, sound like the arrogant, elitist and
terribly naive Easterner we have come to love.

That's the Non-Garbage-Eating Elite to you, Mr. Gunner.

Tell you what. When you become rich and famous and decide you want to join
some elite group, but you don't want to lose touch with your roots, you can
have your very own dumpster.

Then you can have your chef throw all your meals into the dumpster, and you
can dive in, for old times' sake.

But you'll have to plan ahead. Those meals will take a few days to acquire
that true, down-home dumpster flavor. For example, for Friday's dinner, the
chicken nuggets will have to be tossed into the dumpster no later than
Tuesday, so they can marinade and let those flavors really blend together
with the special swill sauce.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner April 20th 05 10:06 AM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:30:56 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:31:23 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Food banks don't accept garbage. If the difference isn't clear, the swill
Gunner is talking about is what most people call garbage: a mixture of
discarded food, rotted food, pet feces, old papers, vacuum-cleaner bags,

the
contents of trash cans, and so on. It's usually layered in there until

the
dumpster is full. Maybe it takes a week to fill one up.

Gunner's job is to separate the layers and minimize exposure of the stuff
he's preparing to eat to the pet feces, etc., while using all of his

senses
to determine if the wretched stink is coming from the stuff he's

collecting
to eat, or if the stink is safely down several layers lower in the

sediment.

New Jersey restaurants must be interesting, if they toss out dog and
cat **** with the scraps.

Have you ever worked in a restaurant?

Actually, yes. I was head cook in one for a year, during my youth.

Tell me Ed...how long did it take you to develop a taste for pet ****
at the local eatery?

What makes you think there's cat **** in the local eatery? Restaurants toss
everything they don't want anyone to see into the dumpster.

You kept emphasizing all the dog and cat **** in the dumpster, so
obviously there has to be dog and cat **** in the restuarant.

Do you get a club card with that or anything, so you can shop at dumpsters
everywhere? g

One simply has to look both ways and dive in.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Gunner April 20th 05 10:07 AM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:27:22 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Shrug..think what you will Ed. Lets hope your declining years continue
to be good to you.

And I hope you never get a reality check.

wmbjk April 20th 05 02:32 PM

wrote:

Food banks don't accept garbage. If the difference isn't clear, the swill
Gunner is talking about is what most people call garbage: a mixture of
discarded food, rotted food, pet feces, old papers, vacuum-cleaner bags, the
contents of trash cans, and so on.

No Harbor Freight catalogs? Must be "elitist" trash. ;-)

Wayne

Ed Huntress April 21st 05 06:07 AM

wrote:

[...]

I had my reality checks many times, and I did something about them. That's
why I don't eat out of dumpsters.

You know, the irony here is that I'm the one you accuse of being too much of
a liberal, making excuses for people who have made some bad choices in their
lives or who have had bad luck, and being concerned that they should be able
to live decently anyway because they're human beings who are entitled to
some dignity...and here you are, the champion of
stand-on-your-own-feet-and-get-a-job conservatism, and you're the one who
defends eating out of dumpsters because your philosophy won't let you do
anything else.

There's something wrong with that picture. I can be sympathetic to people
who don't have the abilities to function in any normal work, but I have no
sympathy at all for people who are capable and just keep putting themselves
in a hole anyway. Maybe I'm a stronger believer in conservative ideas, which
tell us that capable people can avoid the dumpsters, because there are just
too damned many opportunities if we get out of our little box and look
around, if we apply some discipline and hard work, and if we use our heads
for something more than a hat rack. If you respect all honest work and if
you look for it, it's there.

The fact is, I don't believe you think that eating out of dumpsters *is* a
reasonable thing. It's just part of the very elaborate schtick you've built
up, which leaves the whole so-called libertarian idea hoist on its own
petard when life gets hard. The soup kitchen and handouts would be too close
to the liberal thing. So the escape valve is to re-define living like a pig
so it doesn't sound like living like a pig. You transmogrify it into
something that makes perfect sense in the non-sense of your "world view."

There are so many informal ways and institutional ways, both public and
private, to avoid sinking to that level in this society that there's
absolutely no necessity for it. As I've said, it's a matter of choice. And
if your world view says the reasonable choice is to eat out of dumpsters as
your escape valve for hard times, where cats **** and rats **** and nobody
even scrubs them out between jobs, then your "world view" is a failure. It
says, when things get rough, you have to live like a rat at the dump to keep
the True Faith.

It's time to scrap that world view and look around for another one.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner April 21st 05 09:36 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:07:56 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

You know, the irony here is that I'm the one you accuse of being too much of
a liberal, making excuses for people who have made some bad choices in their
lives or who have had bad luck, and being concerned that they should be able
to live decently anyway because they're human beings who are entitled to
some dignity...and here you are, the champion of
stand-on-your-own-feet-and-get-a-job conservatism, and you're the one who
defends eating out of dumpsters because your philosophy won't let you do
anything else.

Wrong...its called survival. One does what one has to do at the
moment.
If you cannot find food any other way..you do what you have to do at
the moment. If you dont..there is no chance of bettering yourself.

In the circumstance in question, Id been badly hurt in a drilling rig
accident. I was working for a traveling drilling company at the time.
I was treated, put in a cast and sent home. Id filed for disability
as proper. The check never came. I called repeatedly. They assured
me the check was in the mail. The bills came due. Then they were
over due. I tried to borrow money from friends. They were able to
come up with enough cash to pay my power bill. Period. I called and
called the State about my check." Its in the mail". I had no savings
by this time. I sold off all my guns (very few at that time). They
payed the rent and the back rent.

The drilling company moved on, along with my friends.

I called the local churches. I wasnt a mother in need.

The food ran out. The lights and gas were turned off. No jobs for a
guy with a leg and an arm in a cast. The cats and dogs were
complaining and with damned good reason. I could starve, but I had no
right to take them with me.

So I went dumpster diving. And I sat in a house with no gas or
electricity and ate my dumpster food, and shared it with my dogs and
cats. We all were happy to have food. For two weeks. Every night
eating left overs from the local restaurant.

I did what I had to do to survive.

The checks finally started coming after 5 weeks. I got the lights and
gas back on. I bought food for me, and pet food. I didnt need pain
killers much after 5 weeks, but it did test my pain threshold for
while. Ever try fishing something out of a dumpster with a shattered
arm and broken leg in casts? The left arm still has significant nerve
damage.

Ever lay in bed and hurt so bad you start to sweat and try not to
scream? Even the times I was hurt in SEA, I had morphine..not this
time. Tends to give you a whole new outlook on life. And a fine
appreciation for perfecting auto hypnosis. Ive pulled my own teeth.

I survived Ed. If I had to eat carrion and pick the maggots off the
mystery meat (did that in SEA), its something that needed to be done.

And you know something Eddy? Not once did I feel sorry for myself. Id
been in far worse situations not many years before ...and took it in
stride. Just another speed bump in the road of life. One to that
slows ya down for a little bit, then you punch the pedal and drive on.

So **** you Ed. Im just ****ing tickled that the Good Fairy and
Practical Joke Department never line up and ****ed in your Cheerios.
All the power to you. Good on ya Mate.

Ive been in worse **** before then, and after that...and Ed? Im a
better man for it. I can and have and will survive **** that will
make you slit your wrists in self pity.
Ive been shot, stabbed, bayonetted, blown up, run over, beat up and
ground down and ground up..and I wake up every morning and hit it
again. Ive had two back surgeries, I had the tip of my right shoulder
joint broken off at the same time my rotator cuff ripped out. The
bone splinters are still floating loose in the joint. Sometimes I can
hear em grind, and I can always feel them pop and click when I use the
right arm and shoulder. Its always a good gross out to have somone put
their hand on my shoulder and then move it a couple times. They tend
to turn green. I had to learn to throw darts underhand. Shrug.

And yet everyday I get out of bed, and go to work. Turning wrenches,
moving machine tools, driving, working. I had to take my nitro this
morning after moving machine tools. Shrug. Just another momentary
speed bump.

Think picking food out of a dumpster holds a candle to the other ****?
Think fumbling for a bread stick holds a candle to taking care of a
slowly dying wife, or waiting for the inevitable phone call that she
crossed over while I was wrenching someplace in Bum**** Wherever?

****..spare me your sensitivities. I understand you are a diabetic.
Bummer. Lets hope it never comes to having to eat out of a dumpster or
buy your insulin. It would really suck to be you.

So just sit there in your underwear, and pontificate and blather and
bluster and puff up your chest in an orgy of self gratification about
your "superiority" over the rest of the dumb *******s who will run up
against Mr. Murphy and either survive or not.

Just pray Eddy..pray that Mr.Murphy never takes an active interest in
you. Though..at this point...it might do you some good to have him
**** square in your messkit. But...I personally dont think you have
the stones to do what is necessary to survive. Remember Ed..when you
slit your wrists..long ways..not sideways..

And remember Ed.speed bumps come to everyone. You cross em, and drive
on, and try to never feel sorry for yourself, or let yourself get
bitter. There are folks who have it worse. Much worse. Hell..I got
it easy. On the other hand..I never look down on them that cant help
their situation. Only those that can, and dont.

"I used to cry that I had no shoes
Until I met a man who had no feet"

Shrug...think what you will Ed. Frankly Im done with talking about it
with you.

jim rozen April 21st 05 02:44 PM

In article , Gunner says...

So **** you Ed.

Ive been in worse **** before then, and after that...and Ed? Im a
better man for it.

Did it teach you perspective?

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner April 21st 05 05:09 PM

On 21 Apr 2005 06:44:40 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

So **** you Ed.

Ive been in worse **** before then, and after that...and Ed? Im a
better man for it.

Did it teach you perspective?

What do you think?

Jim

jim rozen April 21st 05 06:00 PM

In article , Gunner says...

Did it teach you perspective?

What do you think?

I think you need to re-take the "perspective
101 class..."

Jim

please reply to:

pyotr filipivich April 21st 05 07:08 PM

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show jim rozen
wrote back on 21 Apr 2005 06:44:40 -0700 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
In article , Gunner says...

So **** you Ed.

Ive been in worse **** before then, and after that...and Ed? Im a
better man for it.

Did it teach you perspective?

Sounds like he did, he knows what pain is, he knows what pain _isn't_.

And he can always say "Could be worse, could be raining."

I'd say that one thing he knows, when you hit rock bottom, you've got a
firm foundation to build upon. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. (Although an
opportunity for some for reeducation through labor might not be a bad
thing.)

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

jim rozen April 21st 05 08:25 PM

In article , pyotr filipivich
says...

Did it teach you perspective?

Sounds like he did, he knows what pain is, he knows what pain _isn't_.

Part of perspective means understanding another person's veiwpoint.

Jim

please reply to:

[email protected] April 22nd 05 01:04 AM

Don't know about Golden Eagles, but Bald Eagles seem to feel they are
at the top of the food chain. A few months ago I was driving down the
freeway, and saw a Bald Eagle on the ground about five feet off the
pavement. The cars did not seem to bother it at all.

Dan

Gunner April 22nd 05 02:17 AM

On 21 Apr 2005 10:00:34 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Did it teach you perspective?

What do you think?

I think you need to re-take the "perspective
101 class..."

Jim

Your opinion is noted. And discarded.

Gunner April 22nd 05 02:18 AM

On 21 Apr 2005 12:25:17 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , pyotr filipivich
says...

Did it teach you perspective?

Sounds like he did, he knows what pain is, he knows what pain _isn't_.

Part of perspective means understanding another person's veiwpoint.

Jim

Something you and Ed are seriously lacking in.

jim rozen April 22nd 05 04:28 AM

In article , Gunner says...

Part of perspective means understanding another person's veiwpoint.

Something you and Ed are seriously lacking in.

We're not talking about ed here. And if you notice, I
wasn't taking shots at you for your comments.

Jim

please reply to:

pyotr filipivich April 22nd 05 08:20 AM

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show jim rozen
wrote back on 21 Apr 2005 12:25:17 -0700 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
In article , pyotr filipivich
says...

Did it teach you perspective?

Sounds like he did, he knows what pain is, he knows what pain _isn't_.

Part of perspective means understanding another person's veiwpoint.

Oh damn, the irony meter just bent the needle round the pin.

I'd say Gunner seems to have more perspective than either you or Ed,
especially on the subject of being "down and out in America." And how much
of the fatted calf gets tossed out. Sheesh, the stuff I've fished out, or
missed fishing out. But this is America, a country which for a long time
has been rich enough to afford stupid mistakes.

toodles
pyotr

We're not going to solve the solid waste disposal problem until we make
dumpster diving an olympic sport.

--
pyotr filipivich.

Gunner April 22nd 05 04:39 PM

On 21 Apr 2005 20:28:40 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Part of perspective means understanding another person's veiwpoint.

Something you and Ed are seriously lacking in.

We're not talking about ed here. And if you notice, I
wasn't taking shots at you for your comments.

Jim

Yes and? I included him, as you both have similar problems visa vis
this regard. After all, you based the question on a post made to him
by me.

I thought the irony of your comment was delicious.

Ed Huntress April 23rd 05 05:54 AM

wrote in message

At this very moment my wife is taking a truckload of *garbage* to th'
local food bank.

etc.

Let's summarize this. Regarding dumpsters, cats **** in 'em, rats **** in
'em, and you eat out of 'em.

That's the whole story, right?

Do you want to add some more bluster to make this all sound OK, or are you
about blustered out?

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress April 23rd 05 06:24 AM

wrote:

Part of perspective means understanding another person's veiwpoint.

Jim

Something you and Ed are seriously lacking in.

Gunner

I'm really straining here, trying to imagine what kind of perspective one
gets from the bottom of a dumpster.

One thing is su you have to keep the lid open, or you won't be able to
receive those radio reports about the outside world from Republitarian HQ.
Then you'd REALLY be in a box.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress April 23rd 05 06:29 AM

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show jim rozen
wrote back on 21 Apr 2005 12:25:17 -0700 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
In article , pyotr filipivich
says...

Did it teach you perspective?

Sounds like he did, he knows what pain is, he knows what pain _isn't_.

Part of perspective means understanding another person's veiwpoint.

Oh damn, the irony meter just bent the needle round the pin.

I'd say Gunner seems to have more perspective than either you or Ed,
especially on the subject of being "down and out in America."

Yeah, he's certainly kept himself there long enough to hold a title or two.
And if that's what he means by "perspective," then maybe perspective isn't a
very useful thing. It certainly hasn't seemed to help his life very much.

Maybe he'll write a book about it, something like, "The Liberals Made Me Eat
Out of Dumpsters."

BTW, it just occurred to me that we've all been guilty of a serious show of
disrespect by not capitalizing "Dumpster." It just occurred to me: Dumpster
is a trade name.

Gunner should have thought of that.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress April 23rd 05 06:34 AM

"Gunner" wrote in message

You kept emphasizing all the dog and cat **** in the dumpster, so
obviously there has to be dog and cat **** in the restuarant.

Out back, around the Dumpsters. Or maybe from inside sometimes. It depends
on the class of restaurants you Dumpster-dive in.

But another source is the people who travel with their pets, who toss a
plastic shopping bag of **** into any Dumpster they come across. Around the
back of fast-food restaurants is a good target: Drive-by **** slinging.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress April 23rd 05 06:36 AM

wrote:

Food banks don't accept garbage. If the difference isn't clear, the swill
Gunner is talking about is what most people call garbage: a mixture of
discarded food, rotted food, pet feces, old papers, vacuum-cleaner bags,

the
contents of trash cans, and so on.

No Harbor Freight catalogs? Must be "elitist" trash. ;-)

Absolutely. As Gunner says, I'm only familiar with elitist Dumpsters. The
ones he shops in for dinner must be a lot worse.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner April 23rd 05 12:06 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:54:30 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

At this very moment my wife is taking a truckload of *garbage* to th'
local food bank.

etc.

Let's summarize this. Regarding dumpsters, cats **** in 'em, rats **** in
'em, and you eat out of 'em.

Lets summerize this. Regarding houses in New Jersey...drug addicts
shoot up in them, bad men molest children in them, the homeless ****
on the floors in them, and you live in one.

That's the whole story, right?

Do you want to add some more bluster to make this all sound OK, or are you
about blustered out?

Bluster? Only one blustering is you Ed. But then..thats your style.
Or is it Baffle em with Bull****....its hard to keep track with you.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Gunner April 23rd 05 12:08 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:36:07 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Food banks don't accept garbage. If the difference isn't clear, the swill
Gunner is talking about is what most people call garbage: a mixture of
discarded food, rotted food, pet feces, old papers, vacuum-cleaner bags,

the
contents of trash cans, and so on.

No Harbor Freight catalogs? Must be "elitist" trash. ;-)

Absolutely. As Gunner says, I'm only familiar with elitist Dumpsters. The
ones he shops in for dinner must be a lot worse.

Goodbye Ed.

plink No time limit. Global. Permanent

jim rozen April 23rd 05 05:02 PM

In article , Ed Huntress says...

I'm really straining here, trying to imagine what kind of perspective one
gets from the bottom of a dumpster.

There's a saying, sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can
start to come up. It may be that, for whatever fortunate reasons,
you never got down to that bottom.

There's been a steady erosion of the 'safety net' at the bottom.
Ironically it's been mostly the politicians on the right that want
to strip that stuff away because it represents income redistribution
from folks with money, to folks without. That's the kind they
really hate. (they don't mind the other kind of course)

Around here there are regular appeals from soup kitchens, especially
in the wintertime. For food. When you hear those, you think that
yes, there will be more folks scavenging like that. Is it good? No.
Does it happen? Yes.

I've never been poor, I've never had to do that - so I can't say
for sure what the perspective is. But I bet there's bunch more
folks (myself included for all I know) who are *saying* that, who
are in for a suprise in the future. Given the recent changes
in the bankrupcy laws, and given the present unsettled economic
climate[1], GWB may well go down in history not as 'they guy who started
the war with Iraq' but rather "The next Herbert Hoover."

I bet *plenty* of folks ate out of trash cans during the depression.

Jim

[1] I mean, hell, me and my buddies take *one* extra long coffee
break last week, and just LOOK what happened to the Dow Jones. And
they say it was all our fault!

please reply to:

doo April 23rd 05 06:46 PM

Once again, I hang my head. Shake it. Laugh like hell. Sheeeez, feral
cats-chinese eateries-dumpster diving (purposely not capitalized)-into
an all out argument. Ya just gotta love this group!
May I insert my dissertation here?
Unless one has been down and out (I have), one will never understand
the "one has to do what one has to do to survive" viewpoint.
Government agencies? HA! "We know you're starving, living outside,
spent all your savings, defaulted on your loans, winter's setting in,
haven't been able to find a job in six months, and we'd
really love to help, but sir, our records show that you made too much
money last year, so come back in six more months."
Do I blame them... no, but geez, I've paid for it, shouldn't I be
entitled to a little something? I'm down and out, not trying to milk
the system.
Missions? HA! We might have a space in two weeks, if someone finds a
job or moves on.
Blame? No... there's only so much room, so little money.
Community action programs? HA! Sir, we'd love to help, but we're too
busy paying rent for that friend-of-a-friend woman with 3 kids, selling
her food stamps at 50%, live in boyfriend with a job so they can blow
his paycheck on alcohol and drugs while she's screaming poverty.
Blame..hmmm, I'll not even start on that one...
Churches? Yes I have to admit I did get a small box of food from a
church program once, and God bless them. Outdated cans, yes, but did I
bitch? No , I was grateful. But can only get a handout once every two
months... so many people to feed, so little money.
Friends? Family? You'd be surprised at how fast you become a ghost in
their eyes.
Swallow that pride.
Until you have been stripped of everything, and the basic instinct of
survival sets in, I believe you have no insight on life itself.
The things that I used to crave or strive for suddenly became less
important. The little things in life that are so often overlooked in
the busy dog-eat-dog world become joyful.
Through it all, I hope to have become a better person, more
sympathetic, giving, and helpful.
Do I wish for anyone to go through the same? No.
But if it did, as some of us know, that person would be stronger,
less vain, and certainly less pretentious.
Thank you for your attention... LMAO.
Ron

wmbjk April 23rd 05 08:31 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:08:04 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:36:07 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Food banks don't accept garbage. If the difference isn't clear, the swill
Gunner is talking about is what most people call garbage: a mixture of
discarded food, rotted food, pet feces, old papers, vacuum-cleaner bags,

the
contents of trash cans, and so on.

No Harbor Freight catalogs? Must be "elitist" trash. ;-)

Absolutely. As Gunner says, I'm only familiar with elitist Dumpsters. The
ones he shops in for dinner must be a lot worse.

Goodbye Ed.

plink No time limit. Global. Permanent

Gunner

gunner's soup nazi impression No more "denial isn't a river in
Egypt" for you!

Ed, apparently you were supposed to go ooooh ahhhh over his dumpster
diving. Straight talk and logic aren't substitutes, and simply cannot
be tolerated. Anyway, good work. The best I was able to draw was the
plink, but without the emphatic suffix. The redundant combination of
"no time limit/permanent" indicates extreme frustration, and perhaps
room in Gunner's budget for a custom-made Ed Huntress voodoo doll.
Fortunately, nobody's going to work on that project given the pay of
recycled KFC. BTW, I don't believe he'll be able to resist reading or
responding, so watch for sock puppets. G

Wayne

jim rozen April 23rd 05 09:47 PM

In article , wmbjk says...

room in Gunner's budget for a custom-made Ed Huntress voodoo doll.

Well now *that's* worth an ooh and an aaah. Do those come in
Cass versions? g

Jim

please reply to:

Ace April 23rd 05 10:12 PM

I've been lurking this newsgroup for several years, just skipping the
threads which go off on
a tangent, and reading those which after a while you recognize the sender as
being reasonalbly
intelligent and having something useful to contribrute.

Then things got somewhat carried away, and to manually skip these nonsense
became rather time consuming. Didn't require a rocket scientist to figure
out how to block the
sender, deleting all messages.

Really cool! Problem is, that same sender being blocked/deleted who may
condescend to really
impart some useful info as a response or an original subject no longer has
an audience.

Whose loss?

Me? If I really want such trivia, there are numerous newsgroups where
politics etc. are discussed
in a much more animated fashion, a lot more hatred displayed, and flame wars
are the norm.

Your loss? Who knows? I personally learned that no matter how good a
machinist one is, there
is always someone who knows a different way to achieve the same result.
Does this make him/her
an expert in politics or anything else! Not really.

doo April 23rd 05 11:29 PM

Well now *that's* worth an ooh and an aaah. Do those come in
Cass versions? g

I've got the Al Babin version, complete with a fresh coat of paint...
LMFAO once again
Ron

Ed Huntress April 24th 05 02:55 AM

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

I'm really straining here, trying to imagine what kind of perspective one
gets from the bottom of a dumpster.

There's a saying, sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can
start to come up. It may be that, for whatever fortunate reasons,
you never got down to that bottom.

Uh, the main idea I have to contribute in that department is to stay away
from ideological views of the world. They'll trap you in a corner of one
sort or another, every time. Be flexible, respect all kinds of honest work,
keep your ego and your politics out of it when things get threatening, and
it's unlikely you'll ever sink to the bottom.

You almost have to work at it in this society to sink to dumpster-diving for
dinner. Of course, that's a pretty good description of what these few guys
have done.

There's been a steady erosion of the 'safety net' at the bottom.
Ironically it's been mostly the politicians on the right that want
to strip that stuff away because it represents income redistribution
from folks with money, to folks without. That's the kind they
really hate. (they don't mind the other kind of course)

Around here there are regular appeals from soup kitchens, especially
in the wintertime. For food. When you hear those, you think that
yes, there will be more folks scavenging like that. Is it good? No.
Does it happen? Yes.

That isn't scavanging, IMO. They're one of the safety valves we have for
those people who, for one reason or another, hit bottom. See above.

Given that Gunner and ilk have harped so much on how "fortunate" I am not to
have had to partake of those amenities myself (I've gone a couple of days at
a time without eating, but that's about it, and it was a long time ago), it
seems that they recognize that the kind of misfortune they're talking about
is fairly widespread at times. That being the case, you'd think they would
recognize the need for something better than eating out of dumpsters as a
way to deal with it.

I've never been poor, I've never had to do that - so I can't say
for sure what the perspective is. But I bet there's bunch more
folks (myself included for all I know) who are *saying* that, who
are in for a suprise in the future. Given the recent changes
in the bankrupcy laws, and given the present unsettled economic
climate[1], GWB may well go down in history not as 'they guy who started
the war with Iraq' but rather "The next Herbert Hoover."

I bet *plenty* of folks ate out of trash cans during the depression.

That's why we got the New Deal and the social safety net that went along
with it. Again, resorting to dumpsters is a choice in this society, not a
necessity.

Jim

[1] I mean, hell, me and my buddies take *one* extra long coffee
break last week, and just LOOK what happened to the Dow Jones. And
they say it was all our fault!

Well, they're right. The whole house of cards depended on you not stopping
for a minute. g

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress April 24th 05 06:20 AM

wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:36:07 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Jeez, I guess Gunner is getting a little frustrated trying to defend the
indefensible. Is eating out of dumpsters part of the Republitarian platform
or something? Maybe I touched a religious nerve. g

Ah, well, I had about five or six of his messages here to respond to, but
now I can forget it and get on with what I was doing. I really hate getting
caught up in those run-arounds but part of me just isn't going to sit here
while somebody tries to tell us that black is white and up is down.

The dumpster thing has to be the nuttiest thing these guys have tried to
defend. I can hardly believe it.

Anyway, back to reality. 'Think I'll go see what's in the refrigerator. All
this talk has made me hungry.

d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress April 24th 05 06:27 AM

wrote:

[...]

You could have solved the food problem in about 15 minutes with a call to
your local social services department. They have several escape-valve things
they can do for you in those circumstances.

But that would be an awfully liberal thing to do, eh? Or, worse, it would
have been an acknowledgment that those "liberal" institutions serve a
purpose.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress April 24th 05 06:30 AM

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:54:30 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

At this very moment my wife is taking a truckload of *garbage* to

th'
local food bank.

etc.

Let's summarize this. Regarding dumpsters, cats **** in 'em, rats **** in
'em, and you eat out of 'em.

Lets summerize this. Regarding houses in New Jersey...drug addicts
shoot up in them, bad men molest children in them, the homeless ****
on the floors in them, and you live in one.

That sounds like the view from the bottom of a dumpster, Gunner. Actually,
we have some of the lowest unemployment, drug problems, and so on in the
country. Some of our houses are pretty small (mine is downright tiny), but
they're pretty nice overall.

You ought to get out and get some perspective. I think you've been watching
too much of "The Sopranos." g

--
Ed Huntress

Ken Davey April 24th 05 08:14 AM

wrote:

[...]

This reminds me of the time when I was sucking for survival.
Actually I was damn lucky. I had a place to crash out of the rain - just no
money to eat on.
I did have a beat up fishing rod and during a survey of my available
resources I dug up a Quarter from under a sofa cushion.
I could have bought a hamburger with that quarter but instead I hiked down
to the local bait shop and bought a can of worms.
Ate for a month on what I caught - rock bass and perch from the Lake of Two
Mountains just west of Montreal.
Oh yah; Dumpster diving (capitalized because I felt like it).
Seems there was a nearby dairy that had one out back that got regularly
filled with outdated whipping cream.
Put a bunch of that in a gallon jug (bulk mayo container from another
Dumpster behind a local reataurant - scrubbed out with discarded newspaper )
and shake until your arms are ready to fall off - voila - butter. Add salt -
free for the asking.
Wood fire on the beach.
Dump-scrounged frypan.
Gourmet stuff!
Oh yah - an understanding with the local constabulary helped.

UI (unemployment insurance) kicked in after a month and I went uptown and
never looked back.
Once I had a 'leg up' the rest was easy.
Been paying my fair share of taxes ever since!
NEVER underestimate the true value of a social safety net.
I still love the taste of perch and bass; That reminds me not to judge
others.
And, by the way, the average American is just two paycheques away from
living under a bridge.

Enjoy (the discussion)
Ken.

jim rozen April 24th 05 01:04 PM

In article , Ken Davey says...

And, by the way, the average American is just two paycheques away from
living under a bridge.

And most of them now depend on *two* paychecks to make the monthly
nut. If either of those two checks fails to show, for whatever
reason - 'under the brige' time.

I think that's probably more so, now that the bankrupcy rules have
been changed.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen April 24th 05 01:17 PM

In article , Ed Huntress says...

That's why we got the New Deal and the social safety net that went along
with it. Again, resorting to dumpsters is a choice in this society, not a
necessity.

Well that's all gonna change. New republican New Deal = New Deal Dumpsters.
Privately owned and operated, of course....

Jim

please reply to:

Ed Huntress April 24th 05 01:24 PM

"Ken Davey" wrote in message

Put a bunch of that in a gallon jug (bulk mayo container from another
Dumpster behind a local reataurant - scrubbed out with discarded

newspaper )
and shake until your arms are ready to fall off - voila - butter. Add

salt -
free for the asking.
Wood fire on the beach.
Dump-scrounged frypan.
Gourmet stuff!
Oh yah - an understanding with the local constabulary helped.

UI (unemployment insurance) kicked in after a month and I went uptown and
never looked back.

I guess the "help wanted" section had been taken out of that newspaper, eh?

Yup, livin' uptown on unemployment insurance...Ken, why the hell didn't you
take some lousy job, instead? No jobs for anything, anywhere?

Just curious.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed Huntress April 24th 05 02:48 PM

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

That's why we got the New Deal and the social safety net that went along
with it. Again, resorting to dumpsters is a choice in this society, not a
necessity.

Well that's all gonna change. New republican New Deal = New Deal

Dumpsters.
Privately owned and operated, of course....

HAHA! Oh, I love it. "The New Deal Dumpster Company, LLC." And they'll even
rent you a powerwasher loaded with disinfectant, in case you want to open a
portable restaurant for Republitarians.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner April 24th 05 05:30 PM

[...]