Gunner

Default OT-Andre Norton Passing

Andre Norton Nears End
http://trufen.net/sf/05/02/23/0541218.shtml

News Andre Norton, who had been hospitalized with flu and
pneumonia prior to her 93rd birthday on February 17, unfortunately is
not expected to survive and according to her wishes has returned home
under "hospice care."

"She is losing the battle with her illness and is tired of fighting,"
wrote Sue Stewart on a Norton message board. "I made the decision late
yesterday evening to bring her back home to be with us, her cat and
her books when she departs... You're more than welcome to send your
cards and flowers here. I want you all to know that she's aware that
you care and she appreciates it." The address published on the SFWA
News site is: Andre Norton c/o Sue Stewart, 1007 Herron Street,
Murfreesboro, TN 37130.

In the meantime, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
(SFWA) announced on February 20 that it has created the Andre Norton
Award, a new literary award to recognize outstanding science fiction
and fantasy novels that are written for the young adult market.
Keith Marshall

News Andre Norton, who had been hospitalized with flu and
pneumonia prior to her 93rd birthday on February 17, unfortunately is
not expected to survive and according to her wishes has returned home
under "hospice care."

Sad news. Her "Time Traders" series is one of my favorites! I just read
the latest installment about a month ago.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Gunner" wrote in message
[...]

At 93, it's time for her to accept the words: "Well done good and
faithful servant, enter thou now into the paradise of the lord."

Then too, as a non-believer, I'd expect the experience of death to be
the same as one experiences in deep anathesia, simply nothing. At least
being on death's door I hope so!

Harry C.

Cliff

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:32:12 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

Sad news.

Indeed.

Her "Time Traders" series is one of my favorites! I just read
the latest installment about a month ago.

I was unaware that here had been anything new in that "series"
for decades?
Just the two (IIRC)?

Just checked the news on Google ... there was nothing
about Andre Norton.
--
Cliff
Gary Brady

Gunner wrote:
Andre Norton Nears End
http://trufen.net/sf/05/02/23/0541218.shtml

News Andre Norton, who had been hospitalized with flu and
pneumonia prior to her 93rd birthday on February 17, unfortunately is
not expected to survive and according to her wishes has returned home
under "hospice care."

It's interesting that I've read a number of her books and never realized
that she is a woman.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Frank White

In article , says...

Andre Norton Nears End
http://trufen.net/sf/05/02/23/0541218.shtml

News Andre Norton, who had been hospitalized with flu and
pneumonia prior to her 93rd birthday on February 17, unfortunately is
not expected to survive and according to her wishes has returned home
under "hospice care."

Aw, CRAP!!!

We're losing the good ones right and left...

FW

Keith Marshall

I was unaware that here had been anything new in that "series"
for decades?
Just the two (IIRC)?

The Time Traders

The Defiant Agents
A Key Out Of Time
the above 2 were later released as one book called The Time Traders II

Galactic Derelict

The Time Traders III (I don't think I read this one and there isn't any info
about it on Amazon so it may be an alternate name for another one)

Firehand (cowritten with P. M. Griffin)

Echoes In Time (cowritten with Sherwood Smith)

Atlantis Endgame: A New Time Traders Adventure

I haven't read Echoes In Time. The Amazon reviews were really bad so I
jumped straight to the next one. Apparently it was more like a Sherwood
Smith book than an Andre Norton book. Atlantis Endgame was pretty good
though.

"Cliff" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:32:12 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

Sad news.

Indeed.

Her "Time Traders" series is one of my favorites! I just read
the latest installment about a month ago.

I was unaware that here had been anything new in that "series"
for decades?
Just the two (IIRC)?

Just checked the news on Google ... there was nothing
about Andre Norton.
--
Cliff

Keith Marshall

It's interesting that I've read a number of her books and never realized
that she is a woman.

I didn't know it either until a few years ago. Apparently she originally
adopted the name Andre to sell her stories in what was traditionally a man's
world and she eventually officially changed her name to Andre.

Here's a better explanation if you're interested:

http://www.andre-norton.org/anorton/anlf.shtml

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...
Gunner wrote:
Andre Norton Nears End
http://trufen.net/sf/05/02/23/0541218.shtml News Andre Norton, who had
been hospitalized with flu and
pneumonia prior to her 93rd birthday on February 17, unfortunately is
not expected to survive and according to her wishes has returned home
under "hospice care."

It's interesting that I've read a number of her books and never realized
that she is a woman.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
www.powdercoatoven.4t.com

Cliff

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 05:16:57 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

I was unaware that here had been anything new in that "series"
for decades?
Just the two (IIRC)?

The Time Traders

The Defiant Agents
A Key Out Of Time
the above 2 were later released as one book called The Time Traders II

Galactic Derelict

Those are the two that I recalled.

The Time Traders III (I don't think I read this one and there isn't any info
about it on Amazon so it may be an alternate name for another one)

Firehand (cowritten with P. M. Griffin)

Echoes In Time (cowritten with Sherwood Smith)

Atlantis Endgame: A New Time Traders Adventure

I haven't read Echoes In Time. The Amazon reviews were really bad so I
jumped straight to the next one. Apparently it was more like a Sherwood
Smith book than an Andre Norton book. Atlantis Endgame was pretty good
though.

Which one did you just read? "Atlantis Endgame"?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 05:21:31 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

It's interesting that I've read a number of her books and never realized
that she is a woman.

I didn't know it either until a few years ago. Apparently she originally
adopted the name Andre to sell her stories in what was traditionally a man's
world and she eventually officially changed her name to Andre.

Here's a better explanation if you're interested:

http://www.andre-norton.org/anorton/anlf.shtml

I once sort of considered starting a rumor that
it was a pen name of Harlan Ellison's g.
IIRC She never attended any of the major SF conventions.
--
Cliff

Peter DiVergilio

The last time I read anything of hers was in the 60's - never forgot her ,
though! Hope her time to come will be an interesting journey.

Jim McGill

Actually her original pen name was Andrew North. I've got a couple 50's
Ace Doubles with that name that were later reprinted standalone with
Andre Norton as the author.
Frank J Warner

In article , Gunner
wrote:

Andre Norton Nears End
http://trufen.net/sf/05/02/23/0541218.shtml

Thanks, Gunner. I remember reading her books under my covers with a
flashlight when I was a kid. I think I've still got some of 'em around
here someplace . . . .

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
Omega

"Gunner" wrote in message
: Andre Norton Nears End
: http://trufen.net/sf/05/02/23/0541218.shtml
:
:
[...]

I think that most of us who in our fifties were exposed to her writings.

Her condition sort of illustrates what I have been saying in another thread
that most people die because they give up....

Cliff

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:32:12 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

Sad news.

"Science fiction author Andre Norton, who wrote the popular "Witch
World" series of books, died Thursday at her home in Murfreesboro. She
was 93."

http://news.google.com/news?num=100&...ndre+norton%22
--
Cliff