Don Foreman

Default Brazing thin aluminum

I had good luck with a project today.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/cone_adaptor/
Leo Lichtman

"Don Foreman" wrote: I had good luck with a project today.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't blame you for posting this. Neat job. Only thing I would have done
different is: That little hot spot at 3 o'clock--I would have turned it so
it doesn't show, and failed to mention it. :-)

Don Foreman

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:24:23 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote: I had good luck with a project today.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't blame you for posting this. Neat job. Only thing I would have done
different is: That little hot spot at 3 o'clock--I would have turned it so
it doesn't show, and failed to mention it. :-)

My wife sez every quilt has a "humility patch". Most of my shop
projects also have a humility spot or two. At least the holes match
up with the flange on the blower!

Ted Edwards

Don Foreman wrote:
I had good luck with a project today.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/cone_adaptor/

Very nice! How do you plan to join the cone to the 3" ducting?

Ted
jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

My wife sez every quilt has a "humility patch". Most of my shop
projects also have a humility spot or two. At least the holes match
up with the flange on the blower!

Heh. Every time I point out the humility patch on one of ms. Mulligan's
quilts I get clobbered in the head.

Don, was this the "AeroBraze" that is sold via the Tinman's
web page, and if so, did you use the coated rod, or the rod and
separate flux?

Nice work BTW.

Jim

please reply to:

Don Foreman

On 14 Mar 2005 11:07:17 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman says...

My wife sez every quilt has a "humility patch". Most of my shop
projects also have a humility spot or two. At least the holes match
up with the flange on the blower!

Heh. Every time I point out the humility patch on one of ms. Mulligan's
quilts I get clobbered in the head.

Don, was this the "AeroBraze" that is sold via the Tinman's
web page, and if so, did you use the coated rod, or the rod and
separate flux?

Yup, AeroBraze, bare rod with separate flux.

Don Foreman

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:13:49 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
I had good luck with a project today.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/cone_adaptor/

Very nice! How do you plan to join the cone to the 3" ducting?

I'm wondering that myself. The flue pipe is corrugated on one end, so
I may just jam it into the cone and tape the joint. I may try
brazing a cylindrical collar on the end of the cone, but if jamming
and taping work, that's probably what I'll do.
jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

Don, was this the "AeroBraze" that is sold via the Tinman's
web page, and if so, did you use the coated rod, or the rod and
separate flux?

Yup, AeroBraze, bare rod with separate flux.

I think I know what I want for saint pat's day....!

Jim

please reply to:
Don Foreman

On 14 Mar 2005 12:37:08 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman says...

Don, was this the "AeroBraze" that is sold via the Tinman's
web page, and if so, did you use the coated rod, or the rod and
separate flux?

Yup, AeroBraze, bare rod with separate flux.

I think I know what I want for saint pat's day....!

Don't forget the didymium filter, unless you already have
glass-blower's glasses. (Why do I suspect that you might? G)
Don Foreman

wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
I had good luck with a project today.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/cone_adaptor/

Very nice! How do you plan to join the cone to the 3" ducting?

I'm wondering that myself. The flue pipe is corrugated on one end, so
I may just jam it into the cone and tape the joint. I may try
brazing a cylindrical collar on the end of the cone, but if jamming
and taping work, that's probably what I'll do.

Jamming the corrugated end of fluepipe into the cone worked great,
won't even need tape. It's wedged in there tight.

Don Foreman

On 14 Mar 2005 12:37:08 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman says...

Don, was this the "AeroBraze" that is sold via the Tinman's
web page, and if so, did you use the coated rod, or the rod and
separate flux?

Yup, AeroBraze, bare rod with separate flux.

I think I know what I want for saint pat's day....!

I just learned that the flux in the fluxcore rod is noncorrosive,
while the separate flux is corrosive. FWIW.
Glenn

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On 14 Mar 2005 12:37:08 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman
says...

Don, was this the "AeroBraze" that is sold via the Tinman's
web page, and if so, did you use the coated rod, or the rod and
separate flux?

Yup, AeroBraze, bare rod with separate flux.

I think I know what I want for saint pat's day....!

I just learned that the flux in the fluxcore rod is noncorrosive,
while the separate flux is corrosive. FWIW.

I discovered that the hard way. I had a can of the flux in the metal box
with all my torch tips etc. ... turned em all green and nasty.

przemek klosowski

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:37:08 -0800, jim rozen wrote:

In article , Don Foreman
says...

Yup, AeroBraze, bare rod with separate flux.

I had success soldering aluminum using the oil method:
put a puddle of motor oil over the area to solder,
scratch vigorously under oil, apply solder. I only needed
to wet few square milimeters, but it worked beautifully