dafalcon

Default automotive fraem strength

Any ideas on the proper way to box in a car frame? I need to box a
frame for a 1967 Cutlass convertible and have recieved conflicting
info.

1 welder says run the bead all the way around the metal pieces I am
using to box in the fourth side. 2 say I won't gain anything by that, I
should run a 4 inch bead, leave an 8 inch gap, run another bead util I
have encircled the piece. Any isuggestions?

Also can I add strength by adding a piece of flat stock to the outside
or inside of the frame over this span?

Thanks,

Tom Gardner

"dafalcon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any ideas on the proper way to box in a car frame? I need to box a
frame for a 1967 Cutlass convertible and have recieved conflicting
info.

1 welder says run the bead all the way around the metal pieces I am
using to box in the fourth side. 2 say I won't gain anything by that, I
should run a 4 inch bead, leave an 8 inch gap, run another bead util I
have encircled the piece. Any isuggestions?

Also can I add strength by adding a piece of flat stock to the outside
or inside of the frame over this span?

Thanks,

First, why? How thick is the plate you are going to use? But, getting back
to why, the application would determine method. (Demolition Derby, or
rot-out, or something else?)

dafalcon

I have a great non-boxed frame that I will use to replace a rotted out
boxed frame for a restoration. Evidently this is usually done since
boxed frames are usually too rotted to save. This is something I want
to be strong and last. I don't know off hand the thickness of an auto
frame but that is what I would use to box it in.

Jerry Martes

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"dafalcon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any ideas on the proper way to box in a car frame? I need to box a
frame for a 1967 Cutlass convertible and have recieved conflicting
info.

1 welder says run the bead all the way around the metal pieces I am
using to box in the fourth side. 2 say I won't gain anything by that, I
should run a 4 inch bead, leave an 8 inch gap, run another bead util I
have encircled the piece. Any isuggestions?

Also can I add strength by adding a piece of flat stock to the outside
or inside of the frame over this span?

Thanks,

First, why? How thick is the plate you are going to use? But, getting
back to why, the application would determine method. (Demolition Derby, or
rot-out, or something else?)

Tom

He's working with a 67 Cutlss convertible. Most likely not a car for
demolishion derby.
I have seen Convertible cars benefit from "boxing" their frames. I have
no info on just how much benefit.

Continuous welds will provide the maximum strength. But the time and
effort may not result in enough additional ridgidity to make the time to
weld worth it to you.
I'd say that the frame will look better when continuously welded. The
welds may be very difficult to see after the body is in place.

Jerry

Rex B

Jerry Martes wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"dafalcon" wrote in message
groups.com...

Any ideas on the proper way to box in a car frame? I need to box a
frame for a 1967 Cutlass convertible and have recieved conflicting
info.

1 welder says run the bead all the way around the metal pieces I am
using to box in the fourth side. 2 say I won't gain anything by that, I
should run a 4 inch bead, leave an 8 inch gap, run another bead util I
have encircled the piece. Any isuggestions?

You probably want to leave regular gaps as you weld it up to keep from
imparting stress & twist to the frame in the process. I'd set it on a
flat surface, check that it is straight and flat. Weld, leaving gaps.
Allow to cool, then check for straightness to the same reference points
(As listed in the FSM). Then go another round, leaving less gap. Check
again, then finish the seams and grind off the excess. Be sure to leave
some drainage holes for condensation.
If it warps after all is done, take it to a frame shop to be
straightened.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Bob Paulin

dafalcon wrote in article
.com...
Any ideas on the proper way to box in a car frame? I need to box a
frame for a 1967 Cutlass convertible and have recieved conflicting
info.

1 welder says run the bead all the way around the metal pieces I am
using to box in the fourth side. 2 say I won't gain anything by that, I
should run a 4 inch bead, leave an 8 inch gap, run another bead util I
have encircled the piece. Any isuggestions?

Also can I add strength by adding a piece of flat stock to the outside
or inside of the frame over this span?

The OEM convertible frame was actually "boxed" with a "V"-shaped section,
and was stamped from a heavier guage material.

I don't have my 1967 GM service manual handy here in the office - but I DO
have the 1968 GM manual here, and rear body mount locations differed by
several inches between the wagon, sedan and convertible.

Use of a "boxed" sedan frame will NOT provide the OEM frame strength, nor
will it provide a convenient, well-designed replacement for the original
and it is ill-advised.

Even ignoring any possible safety issues, the sedan frame will likely sag,
causing poor fits of the doors.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services
Pat Ford

"Jerry Martes" wrote in message
news%1Xd.66316$uc.45319@trnddc08...

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"dafalcon" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Boxing the frame is mainly for torsional rigidity, weld all along. But only
weld ~4-6" then move the heat somewhere else for a while then come back to
the gaps.
Pat