Bob Paulin

dafalcon wrote in article
.com...
Any ideas on the proper way to box in a car frame? I need to box a
frame for a 1967 Cutlass convertible and have recieved conflicting
info.

1 welder says run the bead all the way around the metal pieces I am
using to box in the fourth side. 2 say I won't gain anything by that, I
should run a 4 inch bead, leave an 8 inch gap, run another bead util I
have encircled the piece. Any isuggestions?

Also can I add strength by adding a piece of flat stock to the outside
or inside of the frame over this span?

The OEM convertible frame was actually "boxed" with a "V"-shaped section,
and was stamped from a heavier guage material.

I don't have my 1967 GM service manual handy here in the office - but I DO
have the 1968 GM manual here, and rear body mount locations differed by
several inches between the wagon, sedan and convertible.

Use of a "boxed" sedan frame will NOT provide the OEM frame strength, nor
will it provide a convenient, well-designed replacement for the original
and it is ill-advised.

Even ignoring any possible safety issues, the sedan frame will likely sag,
causing poor fits of the doors.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services